What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #6,361 of 14,566
Maybe because DACs are digital to analog converters. Not being a smart a** here. Having the DAC's output go straight into adjacent analog circuitry may have some advantages--maybe lower noise or something,

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #6,365 of 14,566
If people are looking for the AD5791 chips on the pictures of the old board that get blurry when you zoom in I would start somewhere around the middle of each board. You know, as close to the analog section as you can practically get. As for the person who dislikes the design of the old analog section; I seriously see nothing wrong with the design. I don't prefer the through hole resistors (the trimming of surface mount resistors is much better and they are cheap now) but this is audio not a HF RF board so in practical terms I doubt it makes a difference.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #6,366 of 14,566
The DAC chips output the analog signal, and there is no reason to add yet more boards, connectors etc just for the small amount of space needed for the analog section. This is also a more optimal design approach, SQ wise.

And if you look at the circuit boards (on the site) you'll see that the 2 long daughterboards on the right, are labeled as Yggy-Analog-1.0.

JJ

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #6,368 of 14,566
One problem. Unless Schiit is getting a massive discount on those DACs from AD the BOM cost is out of control compared to the upgrade cost. Seems like an unbelievable deal on the upgrade cost from a part perspective. I guess they could be recycling the old boards but that takes time and effort as well.

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #6,369 of 14,566
I agree with the parts cost being most of the $550 upgrade price. Those AD5791 chips are probably ≈$350 for the set of 4, let alone all the rest of the parts, including the boards themselves, not to mention tech time to swap them out, plus (I assume), return shipping.

I could see this upgrade price easily being 3 times this amount, from anyone else.

JJ

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #6,371 of 14,566
Don't feed the trolls, it only encourages them.

This weekend I'm going to be acquiring a significant quantity of Wagner-themed art for my studio apartment—alas much will have to be shipped to Venice for display at the sommer Landhaus (every house in LA is a Landhaus compared with San Francisco).

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #6,373 of 14,566
Not to mention the firmware upgrade....
It seems these days the s/w is always expected to be free, even though it never is. And in some cases (PSA), can make big differences, but then it all rests on the h/w.
Such is the way of the tech these days.

JJ

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #6,374 of 14,566
Ok, I have confirmed that I have one of each Yggy. Here is the new serial number sticker:

20180117_075326.jpg

For everybody freaking out about the sound difference between new Yggy and classic Yggy, I can say that although I have not done a direct comparison yet, there is no stunning difference in sound quality. I am not even sure that I will send my Yggy for an upgrade at all yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back