What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 17, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #6,392 of 14,566
I'm not sure how this would work, but one difficulty I had after upgrading my Bifrost to Bifrost multibit was nailing down exactly how much of the upgrade was sound and how much was placebo. Some people have pickier ears than others (I have yet, for instance, to hear a decisive difference among Toslink, gen2, and gen5), but if an old Yggy could be provided at the Schiitr alongside the new Yggy, listeners might be able to determine for themselves whether they can hear a difference. I can't think of another venue where this kind of comparison would be possible.

I think part of the problem here is that, looking at the audio chain as a series of bottlenecks, Mike gets darn close to 100% transparency with the old Yggy, indeed with Bifrost Multibit, such that improvements, while the result of tremendous effort, offer diminishing gains. Taking 99% transparency to 99.5% halves the opacity, for sure, but most of the engineering work is behind one, not in front.

Am I nuts?

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #6,396 of 14,566
There's no sensible reason to put Yggdrasil 1 and 2 on display for comparison.
V1 will simply be not available anymore.
It's not that you can choose for one or the other.
I wanted to state the same, but for those who already have an Yggy and aren't yet convinced to pay for the upgrade, this may convince them to do so. Or not. Also not sure how high Schiit's margins are on those upgrades compared to the full products, they may not have an interest in promoting them more than necessary.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #6,398 of 14,566
I'm not sure how this would work, but one difficulty I had after upgrading my Bifrost to Bifrost multibit was nailing down exactly how much of the upgrade was sound and how much was placebo. Some people have pickier ears than others (I have yet, for instance, to hear a decisive difference among Toslink, gen2, and gen5), but if an old Yggy could be provided at the Schiitr alongside the new Yggy, listeners might be able to determine for themselves whether they can hear a difference. I can't think of another venue where this kind of comparison would be possible.

I think part of the problem here is that, looking at the audio chain as a series of bottlenecks, Mike gets darn close to 100% transparency with the old Yggy, indeed with Bifrost Multibit, such that improvements, while the result of tremendous effort, offer diminishing gains. Taking 99% transparency to 99.5% halves the opacity, for sure, but most of the engineering work is behind one, not in front.

Am I nuts?
No, you are most definitely not a nutter. I understand where you're coming from. But I think music reproduction has a long road of improvement ahead of it. For instance I used MJ2 as a pre in my main 2 channel system....it humiliated my Krell 280P. Well then Sir Jason came out with LISST. Right fine sounding in my cans. But used in my 2 channel the sound stage was all forward. Nope, not an improvement in that application. Without starting an argument I think at least some will agree with me when I say it's easier to judge in 2 channel than in cans. For instance Freya with my favorite tubes is in your face better than MJ2 as a pre. Either the sound stage improves and the instrument placement more refined or it doesn't. Is the soundstage deep with room for those better defined images? How about vertical height? If "no" then it's not an improvement. Not in 2channel anyway for me. So the Schiitr would be a good place to demonstrate how progress is made. I'm sure they have enough "trusted ears" previewing their creations. That's how a piece of equipment gets voiced. At least that's my take.

Your posts btw help keep Mike's thread special.:)

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #6,399 of 14,566
I heard you get an ear trimmer with it to remove the bushes.....
Good idea since so many of us are almost octogenarians.
Man, I feel like an octogenerian today w/ the cold weather.
Good thing I have killer music provided by my Schiit DAC to keep me warm!

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #6,400 of 14,566
I wanted to state the same, but for those who already have an Yggy and aren't yet convinced to pay for the upgrade, this may convince them to do so. Or not. Also not sure how high Schiit's margins are on those upgrades compared to the full products, they may not have an interest in promoting them more than necessary.
I have a feeling almost all Yggdrasil owners who can spend the money will upgrade.
They already made a choice for the best of the best once.
The ones that do not either have an iron discipline or are not able (like me) or willing to spend the money.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #6,402 of 14,566
I have a feeling almost all Yggdrasil owners who can spend the money will upgrade.
They already made a choice for the best of the best once.
The ones that do not either have an iron discipline or are not able (like me) or willing to spend the money.
Definitely possible. I know that many people went for Eitr instead of USB gen 5 just so they don't have to make do without their beloved DAC, and grind through the first week until it's up to temp again, but there's no such alternative this time.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #6,403 of 14,566
No, you are most definitely not a nutter. I understand where you're coming from. But I think music reproduction has a long road of improvement ahead of it. For instance I used MJ2 as a pre in my main 2 channel system....it humiliated my Krell 280P. Well then Sir Jason came out with LISST. Right fine sounding in my cans. But used in my 2 channel the sound stage was all forward. Nope, not an improvement in that application. Without starting an argument I think at least some will agree with me when I say it's easier to judge in 2 channel than in cans. For instance Freya with my favorite tubes is in your face better than MJ2 as a pre. Either the sound stage improves and the instrument placement more refined or it doesn't. Is the soundstage deep with room for those better defined images? How about vertical height? If "no" then it's not an improvement. Not in 2channel anyway for me. So the Schiitr would be a good place to demonstrate how progress is made. I'm sure they have enough "trusted ears" previewing their creations. That's how a piece of equipment gets voiced. At least that's my take.

Your posts btw help keep Mike's thread special.:)
This is but one upgrade amongst what seems a rather steady flow of changes. Having not been to the Schiitr, I assume putting together all the various combinations of choice isn’t practical. The nice part is I’m sure there will be no shortage of opinions in the coming weeks.

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #6,404 of 14,566
I will absolutely send my yggy off. I am just going to wait until gadget and schiits plans for it are defined. If they choose to offer it as an upgrade too and I will be sending mine off for both at the same time. If the gadget is only offered as a stand alone device I will still send my yggy in for the analog board update.

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #6,405 of 14,566
Man, I feel like an octogenerian today w/ the cold weather.
Good thing I have killer music provided by my Schiit DAC to keep me warm!
It's even freezing here, from Central Florida north.....land of the octogenerian!

Edit: my brain is slow, I should say it's a "3 dac night":)up your way!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back