What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #6,421 of 14,566
I use this Dodocus UBox2X now.
You can choose for 2 different configs.
1 source 2 play or 2 sources 1 play.
Built with Deutsche Grundlicheit (German)
You never have to use adapter xlr plugs now (fem2fem or male2male)
And it looks a bit like Schiit.

UBox2X-VS-Silber-482.png
UBOX2X-RS.png
UBOX2X-RS-schwarz.png
Sehr schön! 278 EUR, weighs almost a kilogram. Interesting option to have.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #6,422 of 14,566
How/Whenever the Gadget comes to fruition, my one comment (that I hope is seen as constructive) is whatever Mike's plan is, make it remote controlled.

Can you imagine how big a drag it would be if you sat in your fave non-canned listening chair and then had to get up every other second to twiddle around to find audio Nirvana?

With a set of phones on your head, no issue. Old school 2 channel via a set of speakers and it'd be a serious suck.

I get what you're saying and a remote would be nice. However, I'm thinking it would probably add to the complexity and therefore, the price of the product. Probably not feasible on a $200-300 product, but maybe on a deluxe version in the $1k or up range. To me it isn't a deal breaker either way. I also don't recall to what degree the Gadget might need adjustments after it is initially set to a users tastes. Is it a set once and it covers most recordings or will it need an adjustment every time a different recording is played? I'm not sure if Mike has ever mentioned this.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #6,423 of 14,566
I thought he had said once you find the sweat spot you leave it. But I guess this would only apply the recording you were setting it on. Assuming similar tuning between recordings jumping from one to the next could knock you out of that range somewhat, but it's probably down to the individual listener and how sensitive they are.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #6,424 of 14,566
Now that I'm sure there's four new DAC chips included, the cost seems reasonable. Guess I'll have to send in my Ygg. The double-edged sword of being an early adopter, pay more over all, but have the unit to enjoy all along.

Oh, and while you're at it, can you fit a new black case as well?

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #6,426 of 14,566
Argh, Auto correct strikes again. The perils of posting from mobile devices.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #6,427 of 14,566
Retail cost of AD sharc Dac chips. Very inexpensive. I like what PS Audio is doing with their FPGAs to actually upgrade the filters over the internet.
Of course the cost is greater and build quaility is part of that, but has anyone here compare the PS AUdio DIrect Stream with latest filter update from Ted Smith and yggy

http://www.analog.com/en/products/processors-dsp/sharc.html

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #6,428 of 14,566
Retail cost of AD sharc Dac chips. Very inexpensive. I like what PS Audio is doing with their FPGAs to actually upgrade the filters over the internet.
Of course the cost is greater and build quaility is part of that, but has anyone here compare the PS AUdio DIrect Stream with latest filter update from Ted Smith and yggy

Perhaps your comments and question would be more appropriate on another thread rather than this one, which is Mike's (the guy we have to thank for Yggy).

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #6,429 of 14,566
Can you imagine how big a drag it would be if you sat in your fave non-canned listening chair and then had to get up every other second to twiddle around to find audio Nirvana?

As Jason described in the Schiitr video (and as my own demoing at the Schiitr has confirmed), it's a set and forget kind of thing. The only reason you'd want it close at hand would be to a/b DSP and bypass. The only way I could imagine sticking it inside Yggy would be to create a new back plate, or a new chassis, with an added gadget switch. The justification of such an inaccessible switch, of course, is that most users would want to leave it on permanently.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #6,430 of 14,566

You're on the wrong forum dude.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #6,431 of 14,566

The sharc DSP is not is not the DAC, it is a signal processor. There are 4 of these on the board that do the D to A. https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/analog-devices/ad5791bruz?qs=sGAEpiMZZMswix2y39yldfRSUiTQKynFD3UY2S5SRBo=

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #6,432 of 14,566
As Jason described in the Schiitr video (and as my own demoing at the Schiitr has confirmed), it's a set and forget kind of thing. The only reason you'd want it close at hand would be to a/b DSP and bypass. The only way I could imagine sticking it inside Yggy would be to create a new back plate, or a new chassis, with an added gadget switch. The justification of such an inaccessible switch, of course, is that most users would want to leave it on permanently.
Do you have a link to that video please?

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #6,433 of 14,566
Interesting stuff, I've never given much thought to tunings, but have just watched a comparison on YouTube of an acoustic guitarist playing excerpts from some familiar compositions in A=440Hz and then A=432Hz, and the 432Hz tuning definitely sounds more harmonious and soothing to my ears. Unfortunately I cannot find any A=440Hz vs C=256Hz comparisons so I shall just have to imagine the skingasm effect...

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #6,435 of 14,566
Interesting stuff, I've never given much thought to tunings, but have just watched a comparison on YouTube of an acoustic guitarist playing excerpts from some familiar compositions in A=440Hz and then A=432Hz, and the 432Hz tuning definitely sounds more harmonious and soothing to my ears. Unfortunately I cannot find any A=440Hz vs C=256Hz comparisons so I shall just have to imagine the skingasm effect...
They are almost identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back