What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #6,451 of 14,566
@bosiemoncrieff

Great post! =
"32 bits?! Even 24 bits are a pointless waste of time. Bit depth is NOT bit rate (resolution, detail retrieval); it is noise floor, lack of quantization noise. At 32 bits, the signal-to-noise ratio is 192 decibels, meaning that you must listen to your music at 192 decibels above your ambient environment or the ambient noise (refrigerator, traffic, kids, your dac and amp) would mask the quantization noise (which is why 16 bit is fine in real life).

What is 192 decibels? Well deafness occurs at 180 db, so even if you listened to your 32-bit recordings in an anechoic chamber, if you heard their full dynamic range, you're not listening to them now. If you're listening in a university library, at a quiet 30 decibels, even a Saturn V at launch can't quite give you 192 true decibels of dynamic range to overcome the noise floor, though its 200-odd decibels would certainly kill you.

32 bits are bullschiit. 24 bits are bullschiit. Buy an Yggy and call it a day. But be safe out there: sound over 85 decibels can lead to hearing loss."

Can we add to that the effective number of bits of 24 and 32 bit systems is seldom more than 18-19 bits? I wish I could find the reference for that beyond this on the Schiit Yggdrasil FAQ (http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil):

"But the Arglebargle has like twelve 32-bit DACs in it! Yours only has 21 bits! Hell, that’s not a full 24 bits even! What about my 24-bit recordings?
If your 24 bit recordings actually have 24 bits of resolution, we’ll eat a hat. And those "32-bit" DACs? Well, they have this measurement known as “equivalent number of bits.” This means, in English, how many bits of resolution they really have. And that number, for most of them, is about 19.5. And 21 is better than 19.5, in all the math books we know."

It's not uncommon for people who don't know jack schiit about a topic to think larger numbers make it better. You may also enjoy:

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #6,452 of 14,566
I bet their board house is harvesting the 4 AD5791BRUZ's with a pick'n'pluck ;D then plopping them on the new board with the standard pick'n'place.

If they aren't doing that... then damn?!?

Anyone for fun request keeping the original analog boards? Or send it to them with them missing :p (edit: kidding of course, only dick with them in a friendly way)

As for bit'ness read about ENOB!!!

I don’t think you can use the old parts for anything you sell as new. That would mean upgrades and new units.

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #6,454 of 14,566
@bosiemoncrieff

Great post! =
"32 bits?! Even 24 bits are a pointless waste of time. Bit depth is NOT bit rate (resolution, detail retrieval); it is noise floor, lack of quantization noise. At 32 bits, the signal-to-noise ratio is 192 decibels, meaning that you must listen to your music at 192 decibels above your ambient environment or the ambient noise (refrigerator, traffic, kids, your dac and amp) would mask the quantization noise (which is why 16 bit is fine in real life).

What is 192 decibels? Well deafness occurs at 180 db, so even if you listened to your 32-bit recordings in an anechoic chamber, if you heard their full dynamic range, you're not listening to them now. If you're listening in a university library, at a quiet 30 decibels, even a Saturn V at launch can't quite give you 192 true decibels of dynamic range to overcome the noise floor, though its 200-odd decibels would certainly kill you.

32 bits are bullschiit. 24 bits are bullschiit. Buy an Yggy and call it a day. But be safe out there: sound over 85 decibels can lead to hearing loss."

Can we add to that the effective number of bits of 24 and 32 bit systems is seldom more than 18-19 bits? I wish I could find the reference for that beyond this on the Schiit Yggdrasil FAQ (http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil):

"But the Arglebargle has like twelve 32-bit DACs in it! Yours only has 21 bits! Hell, that’s not a full 24 bits even! What about my 24-bit recordings?
If your 24 bit recordings actually have 24 bits of resolution, we’ll eat a hat. And those "32-bit" DACs? Well, they have this measurement known as “equivalent number of bits.” This means, in English, how many bits of resolution they really have. And that number, for most of them, is about 19.5. And 21 is better than 19.5, in all the math books we know."

It's not uncommon for people who don't know jack schiit about a topic to think larger numbers make it better. You may also enjoy:

It’s forgotten quickly and needs to be repeated.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #6,457 of 14,566
Nah, silicon's silicon either you fry it or not.

I am not talking about if the chips are good or not. When I worked at Apple, we could not use old parts, no matter how good, in new products.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #6,459 of 14,566
They must be the same DAC parts and the old ones must be getting recycled given the cost. If they are not recycling the old parts they are essentially running a charity. Even so it looks like a great deal for the upgrade.

I would be surprised if they are recycling used parts into new product. Or cannibalizing old DACs for future upgrade boards. No way of knowing how their customers treated the products they are sending it for upgrades. Semiconductor products do age. Sharp gradient doping junctions are subject to diffusion currents.

Perhaps they sell the old DACs as "highly broken in" DACs to an audiophool company.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #6,460 of 14,566
If Schiit does recycle the DAC chips, they are going to upgrade a currently used product, not new for sale.
I would not be happy if I sent in a one year old Yggy and got boards with a 4 year old date code DACs on it.

Not to mention that these are RoHS boards with parts spec'ed for one 10 second 260 C reflow ever.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #6,461 of 14,566
I would not be happy if I sent in a one year old Yggy and got boards with a 4 year old date code DACs on it.

Not to mention that these are RoHS boards with parts spec'ed for one 10 second 260 C reflow ever.

My comment was not what is actually happening at Schiit. It was in regards to Winders post about the ethics of Apple not putting used parts in new iPhones, and not being transferable to the Yggy upgrade situation.

We’ll never know. I’m sure Schiit is handling it professionally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back