What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 16, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #6,349 of 14,566
I’m just glad the in-house tinkering on the Yggy is finally being made available to us legacy customers.

Ordered the upgrade, got put in the queue, was sent a shipping RA# and FedEx’ed my Yggy today.

#36 in queue for me. Odd isn't it. I've been enjoying the adventure!:beerchug::gs1000smile:

Trolls. I hate trolls.

I look forward to upgrading my Yggdrasil.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #6,351 of 14,566
Out of town now, but I'll have to check my yggy to see if it has the new boards. It shouldn't as it was shipped in late August. Assuming mine doesn't, I think I'll still wait until the gadget situation gets sorted and if that is offer as an upgrade to existing dacs I'll do both upgrades at the same time.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #6,353 of 14,566
What a crazy situation. Here I am, waiting for an awesome upgrade for my Uber and they come out with an Yggy upgrade. It's an outrage! (Kidding, seriously. Who complains about an upgradeable piece of equipment getting an upgrade?)

My curiosity extends to this:
(1) Will my Gumby get a similar upgrade? Can it or is it too big? And will it still cost almost 1/2 the price of the Gumby or will it be proportionate so, like, 300 clams?
(2) Ditto for my Bifrost? I think it would end up being a whole new DAC at that point.
(3) Love the fact that I get a new extended warranty when I do the upgrade. I should wait for everything to be out of warranty before dribbling in the upgrades :wink:

(4) And, really, the big one. What the hell did Mike (or Jason) learn in the time since the Yggy came out that they could improve on the best DAC they knew how to make?!

Yggy's too big for me so I want the trickle down effect! Now, now, now! Well, maybe after my bank account recovers from Christmas. Then, then, then! :wink:

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #6,357 of 14,566
I would point out Gumby is modular and upgradable so the only question is if they want to, or can, design and build another smaller 2-DAC boards that will fit.

Right, I know both the Bifrost and the Gungnir are upgradeable. One of the reasons I got them, and I have even upgraded my Bifrost once to add USB. Sadly, I did that like a week before they announced the DAC chip upgrade so I missed that chance. ;-(

Anyway, the waiting game starts to see if there's any trickle down from this Yggy upgrade the way multibit trickled down. That was a relatively quick trickle down. I think the whole line got upgraded within 2-3 months?

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #6,358 of 14,566
I guess it depends on how related the outputs are to each other, how applicable the upgrade is.. or if the output stage is simpler if the same kind of changes if possible would result in a significant audible improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back