What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #6,331 of 14,566
This does seem quite unfair to those who purchased at the night of the hype on this website sponsored by Schiit and now we have dacs that are less. How about we get some rebate for the board that’s going to be pulled. I already spent the 100 for the gen5 upgrade, got a bad board and had to buy another. Schiit did refund me for the bad board, but what a hassle.

I can see a analog 3,4,5... upgrade coming. Planned upgrade path Schiit promised. And isn’t it interesting how there were already expansion posts to support the extra size of the gen5 board.

What they should have done is called this Yggdrasil II and allowed version 1 owners to upgrade for a paltry $700. Then you'd be stoke, because you're saving $1699 on a new DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #6,332 of 14,566
How smart to build a product with a continual revenue stream。 Did Jason learn how to build a better analog board?

Did Apple learn how to make better iPhones?

Schiit have always been fair to customers, by stating the following (several times):

- Mike said - back when it was first released - Yggy is the best DAC he knew how to make. Meaning he wasn't holding off on something that he knew would improve the performance of the DAC and chose to offer it as a $$$ upgrade, instead.

- Jason said Schiit is continuously working on new ideas and, as a result, develop new and (potentially) better technologies that can either make it into new products, or/AND make it to existing upgradable products, when relevant.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #6,333 of 14,566
Since this is such an interactive thread with Schiit, why would you not lie to know why Jason waited to put in a better analog output.

And for those that just purchased and got the new output, how would you feel if next week Schiit announces they are going to come out with the best DAC they can make improvements??? Oh that’s right that’s why I bought this because I believed when they said it was the best DAC Mike cold make.

I understand they are there to make money. I don’t have a problem with that. But don’t nickel and dime me.
Did Apple learn how to make better iPhones?

Schiit have always been fair to customers, by stating the following (several times):

- Mike said - back when it was first released - Yggy is the best DAC he knew how to make. Meaning he wasn't holding off on something that he knew would improve the performance of the DAC and chose to offer it as a $$$ upgrade, instead.

- Jason said Schiit is continuously working on new ideas and, as a result, develop new and (potentially) better technologies that can either make it into new products, or/AND make it to existing upgradable products, when relevant.

Which components were Jason’s responsibility?

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #6,334 of 14,566
My Yggy is going on 3 years old. I'm happy part of it's product design is that it's upgradable. I'm happy Mike keeps tinkering. I'm happy new owners got the new boards and who can complain the price has gone up after going on 3 years. I am upgrading mine. If you purchased prior to October use it for a year if that makes you feel better then upgrade, it's still an outstanding DAC.

Geez, look how long I've had to wait.:beyersmile:

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #6,335 of 14,566
Since this is such an interactive thread with Schiit, why would you not lie to know why Jason waited to put in a better analog output.

And for those that just purchased and got the new output, how would you feel if next week Schiit announces they are going to come out with the best DAC they can make improvements??? Oh that’s right that’s why I bought this because I believed when they said it was the best DAC Mike cold make.

I understand they are there to make money. I don’t have a problem with that. But don’t nickel and dime me.

Do you not know what time is? Things happen, over time. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp at a rudimentary level.

Edit: Come to think of it, I believe I'm entitled to a brand new car. When I bought it, Toyota said it was the best they could build, but now there's something better. I can't believe they didn't make the be all and end all of automotive transportation back in 2006 when I bought it.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #6,336 of 14,566
This does seem quite unfair to those who purchased at the night of the hype on this website sponsored by Schiit and now we have dacs that are less. How about we get some rebate for the board that’s going to be pulled. I already spent the 100 for the gen5 upgrade, got a bad board and had to buy another. Schiit did refund me for the bad board, but what a hassle.

I can see a analog 3,4,5... upgrade coming. Planned upgrade path Schiit promised. And isn’t it interesting how there were already expansion posts to support the extra size of the gen5 board.
I know, Technics should compensate me because after I bought my SA-700 in 1979 they’ve been making new stuff. What a scam!

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #6,337 of 14,566
Yes, Chrysler should have immediately removed the wimpy 5.7 hemi from my 300C and gave me a free 6.1 hemi when they released the SRT8 one year later. That's how business works right? I mean, how dare they release a better, more powerful engine! My 300c actually got slower! They must be trying to nickel and dime me.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #6,338 of 14,566
it would be possible to add a fully erect gadget. This would be a "No Eitr" path. A strapped on gadget in a super mega combo Eitr on steriods is equally do-able as well.

This leads to some interesting imagery. Instead of having the light while one twiddles the knob the somewhat flaccid gadget could become more and more at attention, if you will.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #6,340 of 14,566
Well, it`s how a progress works. It`s nothing we can do with it. You can wait for the whole life for newer, better things and they would appear again and again. Or you could just buy something that is available now and upgrade it or change later. Schiit is playing fair. All upgrades looks worthy and it took few years for it to appear.

I can understand that you are upset. But what choice would you have in case of non-upgradable thing? It`s good to have a choice, if you ask me.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #6,341 of 14,566
Well, it`s how a progress works. It`s nothing we can do with it. You can wait for the whole life for newer, better things and they would appear again and again. Or you could just buy something that is available now and upgrade it or change later. Schiit is playing fair. All upgrades looks worthy and it took few years for it to appear.

I can understand that you are upset. But what choice would you have in case of non-upgradable thing? It`s good to have a choice, if you ask me.
@Ragnar-BY

Anything Ragnar says must be agreed with. (Fan of Vikings). Seriously, though Ragnar thanks for not making a girly response like most on this forum.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #6,342 of 14,566
Holy cow. New models come out all the time. Schiit surely didn't sandbag us. Yggy took a long time to actually come out because Schiit wanted it to be as good as they could make THEN. I'll make a totally unfounded conjecture here with the disclaimer that I know nothing about analog circuits. Jason has been doing a lot of imaginative thinking lately which allowed him to resurrect the circlotron design and then finally invent the pivot point technology used first I believe in Jotunheim. He has also been trying to improve on Asgard 2 -- the only pure Class A amp Schiit makes. I keep meaning to buy one just because--I don't need it but I know I'll love it. To get to the point, in the midst of all this rethinking of amps I'll wager Jason realized he could make improvements in the analog section of Yggy. Pivot point isn't Class A so I'm going to guess that the new analog section is the result of Jason thinking about how to improve Asgard. But for sure it's new and not some planned obsolescence.

Of course I could be wrong. Mike Moffatt, the old fox, knows a thing or two about analog. Don't let him sucker you into a game of who can design the best amp, you could get burned. So maybe Mike had a lightbulb moment. Do we really care if Yggy's better for it?

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #6,345 of 14,566

Which components were Jason’s responsibility?

Lol. Posts like these feed my soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back