What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 25, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #5,716 of 14,566
tumblr_o9crlodwc21vtnv5po1_500.gif
3d0344e172024779ff3e073db10339b9.gif

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #5,717 of 14,566
So, is the above your final assessment of the Gadget? Your previous one (that I'm aware of) was not as sharp and clear-cut.
Nevertheless, great to hear you found the Gadget more and more enGa(d)ging as time went by. Enjoy!

I will give my final thoughts on the gadget when Schiit ships one in 2018. As it is, I am grateful that Mike is pushing the technological envelope, regardless of the difference it makes for me. Hearing the prototype is an awesome experience, and I recommend anyone and everyone visit the Schiitr to do it in person.

Just ordered cleaning tablets for my Breville machine. It's flashing the "CLEAN ME" demand. (Something Constanza, I'm sure, never has and never will.) Let's hope that it can survive until Monday when the tablets are due to arrive.

Also just ordered a naked ("bottomless") portafilter to help with my tamping skills.

Enjoying Verve's Streetlevel blend.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #5,719 of 14,566
I will give my final thoughts on the gadget when Schiit ships one in 2018. As it is, I am grateful that Mike is pushing the technological envelope, regardless of the difference it makes for me. Hearing the prototype is an awesome experience, and I recommend anyone and everyone visit the Schiitr to do it in person.

Just ordered cleaning tablets for my Breville machine. It's flashing the "CLEAN ME" demand. (Something Constanza, I'm sure, never has and never will.) Let's hope that it can survive until Monday when the tablets are due to arrive.

Also just ordered a naked ("bottomless") portafilter to help with my tamping skills.

Enjoying Verve's Streetlevel blend.

You want to see the syruppy goo blob from the portafilter ey?
It has as much to do with the right coffee as it does with the tamping.
There are tampers you can set to click when you applied a preset amount of pressure.
You could also place your portafilter on a scale when you tamp to get more precise a bottomless makes this easy to do.
Mine hasn`t left the drawer in a while, maybe I should play with it more.

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #5,720 of 14,566
I hope you understand the blind piston is for cleaning the water output under high pressure with it's own hot water.
That way the dark murk in the shower head gets out.
However, an Italian barista will screw out the head-filter and back-draw safety every day and clean them separately and the bronze boiler head itself.
If they don't the coffee will get just more bitter every day until undrinkable.
The clicking tamping device is for morons but you get that too don't you?

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #5,721 of 14,566
I don`t take the rules of coffeemaking to serious in general. I did in the beginning but now I kinda have my own style.
So I dont really care if I apply precisely 15pounds of pressure as long as my coffee tastes good.
I have had the most basic of tampers for almost 12 years now and never felt the need for a fancy one but i do take my machine apart once in a while.
I only pull 2 or three doubles every day so no need to do that on a daily basis. Thank Odin.

btw. this is a bottomless, the blindfilter is for cleaning only indeed:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #5,723 of 14,566
D4C3396F-7F79-4A1B-B272-CAE8461D1CB9.jpeg
414A1F64-7D4F-461B-BF4D-989ECE8B39EC.jpeg

Isabel Leonard nailed the high c in Exultate Jubilate. Looking forward to the Mahler. City hall looks great. Not sure what the color scheme refers to.

That slomo vid looks amazing. I should do one when my new pfilter comes. I’ll use the instabitch’s iPhone X though for that 240fps goodness.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #5,724 of 14,566
Nov 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #5,725 of 14,566
I saw Isabel Leonard on Sesame Street on the People in Your Neighborhood segment introducing kids to Opera. Fun Little Clip

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #5,726 of 14,566
This Met production can't hold a candle to the reigning champ, the 2006 Harnoncourt, but her Cherubino is the one bright spot. Oh, how I wish she had sung in 2006.

Is there a consensus pick for forgiving cans? I use HD600 with tubes and, hopefully, a future gadget, but the 1936 Reiner Tristan, et al, but I wonder whether there's an obvious choice out there that doesn't just ruin the music (ala LCD 2...and 3 and X and XC and and and) and isn't car-priced (ala Orpheus 1, MDR R10). Am I searching for SR-007? Am I searching for speakers?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #5,727 of 14,566
A few "further along" thoughts on transports. It seems appropriate given my prior reflection to make one. But what kind? Features? Size? Give the name of the company Schiit Audio, it seems I need not worry about video, no? It is not that video is that mysterious to me, given my consulting background. It is just plain not any fun.

Well, how about a Schiit Audio Bluray/DVD/CD transport. When shrimps learn to whistle (Check out the Leo Kottke Album with the same cut on it – amazing. Oh look, something shiny.....). Never ever, ni cagando, no phuckin' way! No fun, did I say, well it starts out with DVD, Bluray, DVI, Dolby and DTS licenses. They are not cheap, albeit not that unaffordable in the context of the molds we just bought for the turntable. You buy the licenses and you are all of a sudden playing within the confines of a good-old-boy's club of licensors and licensees who will let anyone in who pays. They are also generally huge corporations who permit our nominal presence with a wink, of course. Any licensee may not sell product until the all of the licensors are good and ready and have tested, blessed, and given you written approval to sell your product. Got us right by the short hairs. One more consideration is that who gets licensed and in what order? What would you do if you were a major licensor and you had say Sony, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, and newcomer Schiit Audio awaiting test and approval? You think they will be fair and do a FIFO system or follow the dollars? Yeah, right. messed up biz model, indeed. This would be a sure way to affect price rises in all of our audio gear.

As a music lover, never think for one second that the licensors value good music in support of video one iota. It is grammatically challenged dialog, armed forces ordinance, curious sound effects, fast vehicles, feral or sexual pleasure grunts, and usually (not always) insipid music no one would buy in support of video (read movies).

This market is fickle and has to cause periodic hardware "improvements" and consequent obsolences. This follows the movie industry which is compelled to sell tickets to declining audiences in theaters. Downstream in the home theater market, this causes an ongoing deformation in the market as the generation of last year's model's model cannot be given away. No one wants Accujack 64.4 when Autosuck 128.16 is available, when no one really needed Accujack 64.4 anyway.

This is the anatomy of a market which is artificially generated and controlled. Sooner or later it is bound to implode as the ever-increasing reasonable realize the futility of accelerating channel numbers and pointless features. Outside of sound bars, far fewer are buying, a point better home theater is fast approaching as I write.

Why would anyone want to buy anything which has a proven record of becoming a landfill or e-waste recycle center filler in less than a year anyway? No matter what product we make, we would end up dragging some clients with us along this thorny video road. Anybody want to come skipping down this road with us? Didn't think so. Anyway, I do real music reproduction better. CDs, baby!

Hey, I understand the draw. I have a great Mahler 8th (and quite a few others) on musical blurays. I have a LG bluray that will configure to PCM out and play that badass Mahler 8th. Paid fifty bucks for it on the world's biggest retailer. If you are bereft of an audio-video system I would say get something cheap like that. The video (great substitute for a shiny object) may distract you from the less than perfect sound.

Jason and I have joked about making a simple, sum and difference 3.1 decoder. Dynaco made one forty years ago. Neither compression nor encoding schemes to phuc up the sound. No fat cat intellectual property shakedowns protected on the fringe of intellectual property law to cough up. Hmm, thinking as I go, almost free and very easy to put in any of our upgradable D/A converters except for the extra connectivity required.

Nah, it too short a jump from there to earring based streamers. As my Dad told me, sometimes you have to quit while you're behind. In the audio-video and home theater arena, that does not bother me in the least.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #5,728 of 14,566
"(…Oh look, something shiny.....)" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
And the rest ain't to shabby neither… :k701smile:

JJ

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #5,730 of 14,566
A few "further along" thoughts on transports. It seems appropriate given my prior reflection to make one. But what kind? Features? Size? Give the name of the company Schiit Audio, it seems I need not worry about video, no? It is not that video is that mysterious to me, given my consulting background. It is just plain not any fun.

Well, how about a Schiit Audio Bluray/DVD/CD transport. When shrimps learn to whistle (Check out the Leo Kottke Album with the same cut on it – amazing. Oh look, something shiny.....). Never ever, ni cagando, no phuckin' way! No fun, did I say, well it starts out with DVD, Bluray, DVI, Dolby and DTS licenses. They are not cheap, albeit not that unaffordable in the context of the molds we just bought for the turntable. You buy the licenses and you are all of a sudden playing within the confines of a good-old-boy's club of licensors and licensees who will let anyone in who pays. They are also generally huge corporations who permit our nominal presence with a wink, of course. Any licensee may not sell product until the all of the licensors are good and ready and have tested, blessed, and given you written approval to sell your product. Got us right by the short hairs. One more consideration is that who gets licensed and in what order? What would you do if you were a major licensor and you had say Sony, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, and newcomer Schiit Audio awaiting test and approval? You think they will be fair and do a FIFO system or follow the dollars? Yeah, right. messed up biz model, indeed. This would be a sure way to affect price rises in all of our audio gear.

As a music lover, never think for one second that the licensors value good music in support of video one iota. It is grammatically challenged dialog, armed forces ordinance, curious sound effects, fast vehicles, feral or sexual pleasure grunts, and usually (not always) insipid music no one would buy in support of video (read movies).

This market is fickle and has to cause periodic hardware "improvements" and consequent obsolences. This follows the movie industry which is compelled to sell tickets to declining audiences in theaters. Downstream in the home theater market, this causes an ongoing deformation in the market as the generation of last year's model's model cannot be given away. No one wants Accujack 64.4 when Autosuck 128.16 is available, when no one really needed Accujack 64.4 anyway.

This is the anatomy of a market which is artificially generated and controlled. Sooner or later it is bound to implode as the ever-increasing reasonable realize the futility of accelerating channel numbers and pointless features. Outside of sound bars, far fewer are buying, a point better home theater is fast approaching as I write.

Why would anyone want to buy anything which has a proven record of becoming a landfill or e-waste recycle center filler in less than a year anyway? No matter what product we make, we would end up dragging some clients with us along this thorny video road. Anybody want to come skipping down this road with us? Didn't think so. Anyway, I do real music reproduction better. CDs, baby!

Hey, I understand the draw. I have a great Mahler 8th (and quite a few others) on musical blurays. I have a LG bluray that will configure to PCM out and play that badass Mahler 8th. Paid fifty bucks for it on the world's biggest retailer. If you are bereft of an audio-video system I would say get something cheap like that. The video (great substitute for a shiny object) may distract you from the less than perfect sound.

Jason and I have joked about making a simple, sum and difference 3.1 decoder. Dynaco made one forty years ago. Neither compression nor encoding schemes to phuc up the sound. No fat cat intellectual property shakedowns protected on the fringe of intellectual property law to cough up. Hmm, thinking as I go, almost free and very easy to put in any of our upgradable D/A converters except for the extra connectivity required.

Nah, it too short a jump from there to earring based streamers. As my Dad told me, sometimes you have to quit while you're behind. In the audio-video and home theater arena, that does not bother me in the least.

My preference, for what it may be worth - a Bifrost sized solid transport to be paired with one’s dac of choice. (Hopefully) simple-ish to accomplish, with (again hopefully) broad appeal. Oh, and a remote. Don’t forget the remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back