What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 26, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #5,731 of 14,566
Two things that are on my mind, both of which I'm sure I've said before:

1) Why, no matter how hard I try, does Mahler not reach me? I heard the fourth last night and found his jingle-bells recurring motif trite and childish. In much of his music (not so much the slow movements, but definitely finale to the fifth and much of the fourth and eighth), I hear melodies that I find clunky, gaudy, and aggressively camp.
2) What are the signal differences between the operatic styles of Handel and Vivaldi? As I hear them, Handel is more about long, winding, proto-Bellinian melodies. Vivaldi has short motivic cells which he builds up through sequencing and repetition. Handel is also much more clearly a keyboardist, leaving the soloist often accompanied by the harpsichord alone, with the orchestra responding when the soloist is silent.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #5,732 of 14,566
[QUOTE="Baldr, post: 13875652, member: 181024"(snip)
Well, how about a Schiit Audio Bluray/DVD/CD transport. When shrimps learn to whistle (Check out the Leo Kottke Album with the same cut on it – amazing.)
(snip)

They are also generally huge corporations who permit our nominal presence with a wink,
(snip)
[/QUOTE]
Firstly, I have most of Kottke's CDs.
When Shrimp Learn To Whistle is a good partner to The Spanish Entomologist which is found on his Greenhouse Cd as well as on disc 1 of his 2 CD offering titled The Best which also has When Shrimp Learn To Whistle on the same CD.
Secondly, this wink has nothing to do with huge corporations except as a deluded consumer...... :ksc75smile:

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #5,733 of 14,566
We don't need no stinkin' 4K / blu-ray / dvd player (oppo does that well enough / firmware upgrades anyone?).

CD Audio only / transport only with all the bell and whistle digital outputs and top quality clocking of the bits (whatever that means).

That would be the most cost effective and as Schiit already makes a bewildering array of excellent performing
DACs (which probably most prospective Schiit spiner purchasers already have at least one of) might sell very well at reasonable price.

Leaving "player" electronics out "or" making the "player" board optional (something along the lines of Jotunheim
to appeal to a larger non-Schiit audience, perhaps) sounds like a good idea.

Size? Heavy enough to insure minimal external vibration and keep it firmly seated during tray in / out
without having to hold the unit down with one hand (I'm thinking of my Jot here). Mini / Maxi spinner?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #5,734 of 14,566
Two things that are on my mind, both of which I'm sure I've said before:

1) Why, no matter how hard I try, does Mahler not reach me?

The same reason I don't get Verdi.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #5,735 of 14,566
Double posted.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #5,736 of 14,566
You are not alone in why Mahler is not reaching you, last year saw the sf orchestra, nice digs.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #5,737 of 14,566
It would be cool if Mike found a warehouse full of new/unused stable platter CD mechanisms for a very low price.....

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #5,738 of 14,566
Encouraging to hear that Sol is progressing. Now we can anticipate the Schiit 8-track player/recorder...

Saw Leo Kottke often back in the day. Not only for his amazing playing, but for his stories and patter which were always gut-bustingly funny without profanity, scatology or other "adult content." Looks like he's still touring, so see him if you get the chance.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #5,739 of 14,566
Oh, and a remote. Don’t forget the remote.
And... a power switch on the back, of course! :smile:
Just joking! Put it wherever you want, but please seriously consider designing, building and producing such a transport, Mike!
With multiple digital outputs + that BWD connection you teased us with :wink:!
Thanks again for your caring about hearing us, even when our requests or wishes don't match Schiit policy or plans!

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #5,740 of 14,566
We don't need no stinkin' 4K / blu-ray / dvd player (oppo does that well enough / firmware upgrades anyone?).

CD Audio only / transport only with all the bell and whistle digital outputs and top quality clocking of the bits (whatever that means).

That would be the most cost effective and as Schiit already makes a bewildering array of excellent performing
DACs (which probably most prospective Schiit spiner purchasers already have at least one of) might sell very well at reasonable price.

Leaving "player" electronics out "or" making the "player" board optional (something along the lines of Jotunheim
to appeal to a larger non-Schiit audience, perhaps) sounds like a good idea.

Size? Heavy enough to insure minimal external vibration and keep it firmly seated during tray in / out
without having to hold the unit down with one hand (I'm thinking of my Jot here). Mini / Maxi spinner?
I have an Oppo 203 and I find the drive mechanism very noisy. I'm sitting 12 plus feet away and I can hear it. Beyond that it's an excellent player.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #5,741 of 14,566
I have an Oppo 203 and I find the drive mechanism very noisy. I'm sitting 12 plus feet away and I can hear it. Beyond that it's an excellent player.

I'm still running the 105D and will continue to do so until my 11 year old plasma dies before I go to 4K. I just put a disc in mine with sound off and zero noise. Can't hear it spinning at all. I sit at 10' or 12' depending on whether I or sit upright or recline in my viewing seat.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #5,742 of 14,566
I don't know if my experience is normal or not, but I can definitely hear the disc's spinning. I went with the 4K version because my BDP-83 drive died and I moved to NZ, where the 203 is over $1000. I figured at least I should be set for a few years. When I finish building my 2 channel speakers I plant to get a CD transport, but can't use the Oppo as the drive noise would bother me.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #5,743 of 14,566
I don't know if my experience is normal or not, but I can definitely hear the disc's spinning. I went with the 4K version because my BDP-83 drive died and I moved to NZ, where the 203 is over $1000. I figured at least I should be set for a few years. When I finish building my 2 channel speakers I plant to get a CD transport, but can't use the Oppo as the drive noise would bother me.

Funny that, my 105D is dead quiet, my ERC-3 CD transport/player is sometimes noisy and sometimes not. So much for QC.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #5,744 of 14,566
Funny that, my 105D is dead quiet, my ERC-3 CD transport/player is sometimes noisy and sometimes not. So much for QC.
I have the 103D. The transport is dead quiet and very stable.
Don't use it much for music, however, mainly for DVD's.
Sometimes thru the GMB/BHA-1/HD800 rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back