What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #5,236 of 14,566
I haven’t been able to listen to Led Zeppelin’s Stairway for almost forty years but I can listen to Dolly Parton’s.

I've come to resent the rut that Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven has etched in my brain, and it wasn't just all radio play, altho it could have been. Lotsa smoke filled rooms also made their contribution. Lack of imagination or sophistication on the host's part, I would imagine. Altho I still like their How Many More Times... :ksc75smile:

Oct 24, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #5,238 of 14,566
The CEO of a large multinational company fell ill on a day when he had tickets to see a grand concert.

As a gesture of kindness, he gave the tickets to the company's Efficiency Expert to enjoy the concert with his wife.

Next morning, the CEO was surprised to find a report on his table, written by their Efficiency Expert and this is what it said:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sending me to the concert last evening with my wife. My observations are as follows:

The highlight of the evening was Schubert's unfinished symphony. Although personally I think unfinished works should be disqualified, I did watch the performance and here are some, but not all, of the malfunctions I found:

1. The most obvious problem was that they had 22 violinists playing the exact same tune. Such reckless waste! I believe that at least 21 of them should be fired.

2. The drummer was doing nothing for long stretches of time. I would suggest he be put on a different clock, so we can keep an eye on him and only pay him when he actually does any work.

3. Many of the musical segments kept repeating themselves, and I fail to understand the point of having the flutes play the same segment as the oboes. If we can cut down on these repetitions, we can finish the symphony in 20 minutes instead of 2 hours.

4. Regarding the equipment: I noticed a horrible lack of standardization when it comes to musical instruments, and especially when it comes to string instruments. I've seen small ones, big ones, one you hold under your chin and some you hold between your legs. I think that one size for all these instruments will save time, money and confusion, as well as make maintenance easier.

5. The conductor, the most senior employee, did not play as much as a single tune the entire concert, and showed a complete lack of respect to the customers, while standing with his back (his back!) to the audience. There were even a few times he was threatening his staff with a stick, which should never be allowed. I would suspend him with no pay until we can get to the bottom of this. Psychological counselling may be advised.

To summarize: I am quite sure that if Mr. Schubert had avoided these issues, he would have managed to finish his work, instead of leaving us with an unfinished symphony!

Kind regards,
Corporate Efficiency Enhance Expert

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #5,239 of 14,566
I'm getting my Sonarworks situation straightened out on my MacBook Pro so as to have a strong complement of musical sources ready for my Gadget trek. I'm planning to leave Venice around 11 so I should be comfortably on the Schiitr by quarter to noon. The question I have is the extent to which digital EQ is messed with by the Gadget.

Does the Schiitr still have an HD800? (Has it by any chance invested in replacement pads for that extremely well-worn HD800?) I can bring mine, though K1000 takes up less room, and would allow me to skip the carry-on and just take a personal item.
Just drive down. A nice scenic journey and you can bring your gear.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #5,241 of 14,566
Just drive down. A nice scenic journey and you can bring your gear.
lol i forgot you live in real america. I live in san francisco, where car ownership is silly! i own a bike. actually, given how i listen to podcasts on my commute to work, i think my AirPods get more time than all of my audiophile headphones combined.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #5,242 of 14,566
On Jason's thread, he mentioned that I had before/after-gadget-encodings of a few reference pieces of music. This since I have the theater background, and am familiar with ASCAP licensing. Such licensing is inexpensive and easy as long as only clips of music are played unmodified. In our case we would not only modify the music but we would present our version of the music as better, complicating matters. This does not apply if I purchase or legally stream music for my own use. So we will not be posting any such clips. Sorry.

Speaking of the gadget, the response to it at RMAF and at the Shittr has been a bell curve – there were some who couldn't stop talking about it, some who couldn't tell what it was doing, and the majority were agreed on the fact that it had a sweet spot. This is pretty much what I expected. The majority of those who took the time to listen also return again to audition it for a second time. This I find quite encouraging.

I received with thanks some examples of Hindustani music. I am pleased to report that there are encouraging experiences listening to it so far. I need a bit more time to report completely. So far, it surpasses my expectations!

I must close with a quick music review. Michael Gielen (the conductor of my favorite Mahler cycle) also has released a Bruckner cycle. This is an odd cycle as it has versions of the various older than those commonly released. Unsettling at first, there are many similarities. I must say, the Adagios from the Seventh and Eighth are absolutely wonderful, the very best I have ever heard!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #5,243 of 14,566
On Jason's thread, he mentioned that I had before/after-gadget-encodings of a few reference pieces of music. This since I have the theater background, and am familiar with ASCAP licensing. Such licensing is inexpensive and easy as long as only clips of music are played unmodified. In our case we would not only modify the music but we would present our version of the music as better, complicating matters. This does not apply if I purchase or legally stream music for my own use. So we will not be posting any such clips. Sorry.

Speaking of the gadget, the response to it at RMAF and at the ****tr has been a bell curve – there were some who couldn't stop talking about it, some who couldn't tell what it was doing, and the majority were agreed on the fact that it had a sweet spot. This is pretty much what I expected. The majority of those who took the time to listen also return again to audition it for a second time. This I find quite encouraging.

I received with thanks some examples of Hindustani music. I am pleased to report that there are encouraging experiences listening to it so far. I need a bit more time to report completely. So far, it surpasses my expectations!

I must close with a quick music review. Michael Gielen (the conductor of my favorite Mahler cycle) also has released a Bruckner cycle. This is an odd cycle as it has versions of the various older than those commonly released. Unsettling at first, there are many similarities. I must say, the Adagios from the Seventh and Eighth are absolutely wonderful, the very best I have ever heard!
Can I help you with 2 jazz albums I wrote and produced myself?
The rights are mine to give.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #5,246 of 14,566

Alright, thanks for looking into it!
I'm sure some will surface (legally or otherwise) once the Gadget is available.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #5,247 of 14,566
... Speaking of the gadget, the response to it at RMAF and at the ****tr has been a bell curve – there were some who couldn't stop talking about it, some who couldn't tell what it was doing, and the majority were agreed on the fact that it had a sweet spot. This is pretty much what I expected. The majority of those who took the time to listen also return again to audition it for a second time. This I find quite encouraging.

Mike, have multiple listeners auditioned with the same piece(s) of music? If so, did they reach a consistent control setting for the sweet spot? I'm just wondering how subjective the process is, if there is significant variation per listener, then evaluation of a Gadget-processed digital file created by another listener might not be very helpful, even if Pietro or someone else can provide material with no ASCAP issues.

I suppose this question implies that you have a Gadget prototype with telemetry to report the settings after the listener finds the sweet spot?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #5,248 of 14,566
This licensing issue does sound thorny, you're right. Have you considered commissioning students from, say, the USC Thorton School of Music to play the Waldstein, or the Grosse Fugue, or the Kreutzer, and comparing the contemporary tuning that they play with that of the Gadget?

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #5,249 of 14,566
I'm not sure if solo piano music would be the best way to demo The Gadget, but if it would work, there are some free, mostly high res downloads available:

New Zealand pianist Michael Houstoun has a variety of recordings he opted to release for free via Bandcamp:
http://www.michaelhoustoun.co.nz/discs_bandcamp.html

German-Japanese pianist Kimiko Ishizaka has released three Bach recordings using a Creative Commons license, though the releases may not be intended for use demoing hardware:
http://music.kimiko-piano.com/album/j-s-bach-open-goldberg-variations-bwv-988-piano
http://music.kimiko-piano.com/album/bach-well-tempered-clavier-book-1
http://music.kimiko-piano.com/album/j-s-bach-the-art-of-the-fugue-kunst-der-fuge-bwv-1080

Also, CD Baby has a free download of Prokofiev orchestral music conducted by Gerard Schwarz, but I'm not sure if additional licensing might still be needed.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #5,250 of 14,566
Can I help you with 2 jazz albums I wrote and produced myself?
The rights are mine to give.

Do the art covers look like these (featuring Constanza)?

tumblr_m65ildTipK1r5gmoeo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lusggk92id1r5gmoeo2_500.jpg

On a serious note...

As I said in Jason's thread, I hope something like this is done so all of us who live way too far from Schiit HQ are able to experiment the Gadget "eargasms"
tgTDxP1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back