What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #5,206 of 14,564
Yes, I saw those pictures and watched Mike's video where the Gadget is also shown, and that's why I was asking for some 'official' confirmation.
Keep in mind that they are not a large corporation where a product name must be finalized months in advance for the marketing and advertising campaigns. Mike or Jason could wake up one morning with an inspired name and suddenly change it. I wouldn't consider it to be a confirmed name until the product is close to production.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #5,207 of 14,564
8X oversampling = 192KHz. X = "times," as in Eight-Times oversampling.

Here's some background for you: https://recording.org/threads/oversampling-explained.48087/
Sorry if I was too terse, or are you being disingenuous?

long form
if eight times the sample rate is one hundred and ninety two thousand Hertz
then the base sample rate would be twenty four thousand Hertz
(which seems rather low, except for low-fi or speech)

I would have thought eight times sample rate would more likely have been three hundred and eighty four thousand Hertz
like:
"At the time, it was a really expensive multibit 17 bit A/D converter which converted at 8x either 44.1 or 48KHz 352.8 or 384KHz"
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...en-robert-hunter.784471/page-45#post-12622826
for example

maybe I am mistaken?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #5,208 of 14,564
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #5,209 of 14,564
I see from the comments in that link our old friend, long departed, tonykaz "Tony in Michigan", is still offering his valuable insights (I thought he'd gone to Florida...?)

He appears to have some issues... Attacking someone's appearance and naming schemes is rather petty.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #5,210 of 14,564
For someone with his head that far up his own ass he sure has issues with Schiit.
Judging people by their appearance instead of their merrits. Tsss.
The poor man sounds like he is afraid he (or the stuff he buys for thatt matter) does not comply to 100% boring.
I bet his audiophile friends gave him s++t about his Schiit and now he feels like he is not a real man.

Now...where is my black lipstick?

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #5,211 of 14,564
Sorry if I was too terse, or are you being disingenuous?

long form
if eight times the sample rate is one hundred and ninety two thousand Hertz
then the base sample rate would be twenty four thousand Hertz
(which seems rather low, except for low-fi or speech)

I would have thought eight times sample rate would more likely have been three hundred and eighty four thousand Hertz
like:
"At the time, it was a really expensive multibit 17 bit A/D converter which converted at 8x either 44.1 or 48KHz 352.8 or 384KHz"
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...en-robert-hunter.784471/page-45#post-12622826
for example

maybe I am mistaken?
It's based on multiples of the Nyquist frequency, not of sampling rate. 24kHz is Nyquist based on the standard pro audio sampling rate of 48kHz (and the normal limits of human hearing.) 8X oversampling is 8 samples instead of one at each instance or 8 times Nyquist. Nyquist is also the normal high frequency cut off for digital filters. The theoretical advantage of oversampling is less aliasing and potentially lower noise - although inaudible is inaudible - and not wider frequency response as the filter frequency does not (normally) change.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #5,212 of 14,564
It's (C) infringement to give away the CD and keep the bits.
Thanks guys. I don't really give away CD's. They are all piled up in the closet. Honest.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #5,213 of 14,564
I see from the comments in that link our old friend, long departed, tonykaz "Tony in Michigan", is still offering his valuable insights (I thought he'd gone to Florida...?)

:speak_no_evil:

https://www.head-fi.org/members/tonykaz.389326/
Thank you! I miss Tony's wit chiming in around here.
Edit...Well, I changed my mind after reading his comments on the Tyll interview. What a dork.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #5,215 of 14,564
Thank you! I miss Tony's wit chiming in around here.
Edit...Well, I changed my mind after reading his comments on the Tyll interview. What a dork.

He was both illuminating and entertaining around the Schiit threads. I surmise he is not now the self we knew. In fact, the first comment signed "Tony in Michegan" didn't have his phrasing and I thought it was someone else. The following comments did sound like him alas, though not the same sentiments for sure :xf_eek:

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #5,216 of 14,564
It's based on multiples of the Nyquist frequency, not of sampling rate. 24kHz is Nyquist based on the standard pro audio sampling rate of 48kHz (and the normal limits of human hearing.) 8X oversampling is 8 samples instead of one at each instance or 8 times Nyquist. Nyquist is also the normal high frequency cut off for digital filters. The theoretical advantage of oversampling is less aliasing and potentially lower noise - although inaudible is inaudible - and not wider frequency response as the filter frequency does not (normally) change.
Oversampling, times Nyquist rate NOT Nyquist frequency.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5,218 of 14,564
General question: can someone say what will sound better:

cable optical > Modi Multibit > receiver/amp > speakers
cable analogue > receiver/amp > speakers

similarly

CD player optical > Modi Multibit> receiver/amp > speakers
CD player analogue > receiver/amp > speakers

TIA.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #5,219 of 14,564
I would think the Modi would be a better DAC than what's in your cable box or your CD player. Although cable might have surround sound so you might want to optical from your cable box to your receiver, if you have surround speakers set up.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,220 of 14,564
I would think the Modi would be a better DAC than what's in your cable box or your CD player. Although cable might have surround sound so you might want to optical from your cable box to your receiver, if you have surround speakers set up.
I wonder if there's any latency issue using a Mimby for cable TV audio. Anybody doing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back