What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #2,401 of 14,566

I imagine since it's a never-been-done-before product, they'd want to avoid compatibility issues with the various computers, processors, OS's, etc... it's more reliable to stick it in a box and just have it work.

Maybe it's also harder to pirate a physical box? 

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,404 of 14,566

And at the risk of getting back on topic, wondering if there is any reason The Gadget has to be a piece of physical gear. Couldn't it just be a computer program, or at least available as such?  Of course, I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity to grab another box of Schiit, but many more-computer-focused audio geeks might prefer to just load and go.

Sure it could be a computer program - in fact early trials are built on Linux computers and tested for functionality-R&D only.  The whole megaburrito filter with guac could live in a computer program as well.  The only problem is that the closer you get good audio to computers, the more it sounds like ass.  I am on record on being all about physical media and less about computer audio. Besides, if I sell schiit that runs on computers then I have to run customer support all about computers I didn't design - I suck at that.  There are users who rave over some filter over at another forum which likes computers for audio.  They still have to get audio on and on and off the computer.  Do they have a sound card?  Drivers??  Bleccch.

Better to build a Gadget which does a function which you hook up.  No drivers - no computers necessary.  That's why no software - hard to use, even harder to support, and forces your sound to coexist with a pc.  A hardware Gadget can be built for less  because it requires far less support than weird-ass buggy software which is designed to give hand jobs to engineers.  I will build something you hook up and run.  The full Monty.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 16, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #2,405 of 14,566
   Sure it could be a computer program - in fact early trials are built on Linux computers and tested for functionality-R&D only.  The whole megaburrito filter with guac could live in a computer program as well.  The only problem is that the closer you get good audio to computers, the more it sounds like ass.  I am on record on being all about physical media and less about computer audio. Besides, if I sell schiit that runs on computers then I have to run customer support all about computers I didn't design - I suck at that.  There are users who rave over some filter over at another forum which likes computers for audio.  They still have to get audio on and on and off the computer.  Do they have a sound card?  Drivers??  Bleccch.

Better to build a Gadget which does a function which you hook up.  No drivers - no computers necessary.  That's why no software - hard to use, even harder to support, and forces your sound to coexist with a pc.  A hardware Gadget can be built for less  because it requires far less support than weird-ass buggy software which is designed to give hand jobs to engineers.  I will build something you hook up and run.  The full Monty.

YES! Make it idiot-proof for IT idiots like me.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #2,406 of 14,566

As a person who spent his entire working life either providing or managing tech support in the computer industry, I can confirm the wisdom of your thought process and conclusion. Back in the mid 90's I started up an ISP. For every hour we spent supporting our product, we spent six hours solving customer computer issues that prevented dial-up software from working. We cut that in half by writing our own dial-up software and saved a bunch of money in the long run. But still......

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #2,407 of 14,566
That's why I am and will remain CD only (plus, I have way too much money in discs). It seems like at least 9 out of 10 posts from folks with problems are those using some sort of D/L content and their PC's.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,409 of 14,566
  That's why I am and will remain CD only (plus, I have way too much money in discs). It seems like at least 9 out of 10 posts from folks with problems are those using some sort of D/L content and their PC's.

It's not that bad, barring USB craziness.    The main issue I have is with what I call "curating my music".   That's organizing it and making sure the metadata is consistent and useful.

I have to admit, though, that not having a remote to control the playback functions was more a a problem than I thought.  So happy I have a device that pretends to be a CD player in that regard.

Oh, and I don't use WiFi for playback.  WiFi gives you cancer :wink:  Or at least, and for sure, causes hair loss.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,410 of 14,566
I'd love to get a higher-end CD player with coax out. I certainly can't see myself giving up tidal etc., but I have a fair few CDs and I'm sure the prices are plummeting on amazon as everyone moves to streaming and people have closets full of dusty (inherited?) CDs they need to get rid of.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #2,411 of 14,566
 I do buy CD's and many places sell the used ones in very good to like new condition for pennies on the dollar. I guess Since Bluetooth turntables are the cool thing now every one is getting rid of their cd's. and buying the new pressings to many of which seem to be of sub par quality.  I rip the CD's to WAV and FLAC. So I can use the FLAC files for my DAP and wav on my media server at home and my desktop setup. I am on the hunt for a quality used Transport as well. For now when I want to change disks i fire up the Turntable.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,412 of 14,566
  I'd love to get a higher-end CD player with coax out. I certainly can't see myself giving up tidal etc., but I have a fair few CDs and I'm sure the prices are plummeting on amazon as everyone moves to streaming and people have closets full of dusty (inherited?) CDs they need to get rid of.

Well there's hope for you.
I use the Pro-Ject CD box RS
I remember seeing it already somewhere on this forum.
Just ignore the DAC, plug it into your Yggdrasil (or any other DAC you prefer) and go.
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=cdboxrs&cat=source&lang=en

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,413 of 14,566
@bosiemoncrieff

I use a Emotiva ERC-3 CD Player / Transport ($499.00), it has a built in DAC (and amp section with RCA and XLR balanced out (true balanced-not sure) ) which I've experimented with into my HA-1, but it also outputs a digital stream as well with Toslink, Coax, and AES/EBU out. I generally use AES to Yggy, Coax to HA-1. 1 year old and no issues to date.

Tascam has a $499.00 unit with similar features and maybe some other versions as well for less. I think Reddog runs a Tascam.

Marantz has one but it's prolly around $1,000 plus, and NAD as well.

If AES is not a priority I think it will simplify your selection to coax and Toslink and maybe the cost as well.

If DSD is your thing the ERC-3 will not get it done for you, but as far as high bit rate stuff, well you've already got a PC hookup to use.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,414 of 14,566
  @bosiemoncrieff

I use a Emotiva ERC-3 CD Player / Transport ($499.00), it has a built in DAC (and amp section with RCA and XLR balanced out (true balanced-not sure) ) which I've experimented with into my HA-1, but it also outputs a digital stream as well with Toslink, Coax, and AES/EBU out. I generally use AES to Yggy, Coax to HA-1. 1 year old and no issues to date.

Tascam has a $499.00 unit with similar features and maybe some other versions as well for less. I think Reddog runs a Tascam.

Marantz has one but it's prolly around $1,000 plus, and NAD as well.

If AES is not a priority I think it will simplify your selection to coax and Toslink and maybe the cost as well.

If DSD is your thing the ERC-3 will not get it done for you, but as far as high bit rate stuff, well you've already got a PC hookup to use.

I think I have to disagree with you.
The transports/players you mention (appart from the ERC-3) are crap in every way.
Turning them in your washing maschine will give you better sound.
The question was for a hi-end transport/player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back