What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #2,417 of 14,565

Yes it is.
The ERC-3 costs less than half and plays beter than most <2K counterparts.
They did what Schiit did.
Build a very good machine for less money than the expensive crap out there.

+1 on the ERC-3.  Super nice CD player...

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,418 of 14,565
  @bosiemoncrieff

I use a Emotiva ERC-3 CD Player / Transport ($499.00), it has a built in DAC (and amp section with RCA and XLR balanced out (true balanced-not sure) ) which I've experimented with into my HA-1, but it also outputs a digital stream as well with Toslink, Coax, and AES/EBU out. I generally use AES to Yggy, Coax to HA-1. 1 year old and no issues to date.

Tascam has a $499.00 unit with similar features and maybe some other versions as well for less. I think Reddog runs a Tascam.

Marantz has one but it's prolly around $1,000 plus, and NAD as well.

If AES is not a priority I think it will simplify your selection to coax and Toslink and maybe the cost as well.

If DSD is your thing the ERC-3 will not get it done for you, but as far as high bit rate stuff, well you've already got a PC hookup to use.

I'm looking at getting the ERC3 primarily due to the AES out.  Can you share your thoughts?  I like the heavy build, the cost, and the digital outs.  Heard some people complain about the CD mechanism.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,421 of 14,565
Noisy motor... and some build quality complaints.

There are about 10% negative reviews on Amazon about this.  Assuming people with negative opinion disproportionally leave reviews compared to people with positive reviews, then I figure it's closer to 3-6%.  That's pretty good.  Maybe from a bad batch a year or so ago?

I understand there's a flexible return policy.  I'm more interested in the noise during playback and audio quality.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #2,422 of 14,565
  Noisy motor... and some build quality complaints.

There are about 10% negative reviews on Amazon about this.  Assuming people with negative opinion disproportionally leave reviews compared to people with positive reviews, then I figure it's closer to 3-6%.  That's pretty good.  Maybe from a bad batch a year or so ago?

I understand there's a flexible return policy.  I'm more interested in the noise during playback and audio quality.

Which is almost "nil" and no problem at all.
You'll hear nothing of the sort "over the line".

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,423 of 14,565

crap in every way.

Thank you for your assessment, though it was expressed gratuitously.

Thank you @FLTWS for the emotiva rec. I assume I'll get that when I have space for it. If I make the move to Palo Alto, thinking about a that to Yggy to Ragnarok or WA5 for sensitive speakers, presumably in the living room. If I get the Tesla, doubtful I could afford anything more than the Rag...perhaps Vidar. 

Can you hook up a subwoofer to Ragnarok or Vidar? 

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,426 of 14,565
  Thank you for your assessment, though it was expressed gratuitously.

As a European I cannot be less gratuitous.
Thanks for the compliment.
Anyway, whe're talking schiit here aren't we.

The Cambridge CXC is a reasonable priced transport, no DAC, RCA coax & optical out.  It is available in black or silver.

Indeed it is. I tested it and it's top of the top. Really.
But it'll rip you a hole of 1K

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,429 of 14,565

As a European I cannot be less gratuitous.
Thanks for the compliment.
Anyway, whe're talking schiit here aren't we.

The Cambridge CXC is a reasonable priced transport, no DAC, RCA coax & optical out.  It is available in black or silver.

Indeed it is. I tested it and it's top of the top. Really.
But it'll rip you a hole of 1K

Got a brand new one a while back for $400 US and see them on Amazon US right now for $500.

r2

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back