What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 16, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #2,432 of 14,565

I'm looking at getting the ERC3 primarily due to the AES out.  Can you share your thoughts?  I like the heavy build, the cost, and the digital outs.  Heard some people complain about the CD mechanism.

The motor and mechanism is not dead quiet and can be heard up close (but not all the time - don't know why that is). Everything else works fine and sounds fine including all digital outs. And the  ERC-3 DAC and analogues out aren't chopped liver either. All the talk about Balance vs SE and AES/EBU vs everything else got me curious a year ago when I returned to this hobby. Never had any Balanced experience so I decided to investigate by doing, not just reading about other peoples experiences. Sound differences can be small depends on how each person hears it, big deal or little deal, let each make up there own mind. I like 4 pin over SE; 1. I hear a small but worthwhile difference with Balanced to my ears, and 2. over the past 4 years I've had 5 left hand surgeries and  4 right hand surgeries, the fatter barrel of the 4 pin is easier on my hands.

My biggest concern is that if mine eventually wears out I won't be able to replace it at this quality / performance level and at this price.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,433 of 14,565
Can you hook up a subwoofer to Ragnarok or Vidar? 

Pretty sure you can to a Rag, think I've seen some how to info on some of the other Schiit threads. But best to get it from someone who's done it, I had to abandon 2 channel when I retired/downsized in early 2004. Headphones only now.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,435 of 14,565

May I suggest a name for The Gadget? Ivaldi, after the Sons of Ivaldi, the dwarfs who fashioned all the cool toys for the Norse gods. Seems fitting.

A great name indeed but could be mistaken for or nicknamed to Vivaldi.
And we have plenty of them in the Hi-End bizz.
For some reason this makes me wonder what kind of music the people at Schiit prefer.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,436 of 14,565
Can you hook up a subwoofer to Ragnarok or Vidar? 

Ragnarok- yes. I ran a pair of subs off my Rag via SE cables, the Rag was powering stand-mount monitors. Sounded great.

Vidar is a power amp, you'd need to run the subs from the preamp, a Freya for example.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,437 of 14,565
How about Oppos as transports?

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,438 of 14,565
Mar 16, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,439 of 14,565
  How about Oppos as transports?

My 105D's Coax and Optical digital outs worked fine with the HA-1. There is also a USB out but no AES/EBU.

I just checked Oppo's site, looks like they no longer offer anything else in the way of transports with the exception of their 4K machines. The cheaper one sports coax and optical. The larger version looks like no specifics yet, until maybe April.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,441 of 14,565
Close!
If any Schiit product ever deserved the name Loki, it'd be the MP.
wink.gif

Close!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 16, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #2,442 of 14,565
All this talk of transports and vinyl as opposed to computer audio saddens me a little - as someone who grew up a little bit too late (and not really in the appropriate place/conditions) to inherit and/or build a nice, physical collection of records, I'm pretty much stuck with my computer stuff only. Definitely not something I really dwell upon, I try not too look for flaws when I'm listening to my music; I'd hate to give up TIDAL and the convenience it brings, plus I'd have to invest way too much money into buying a significant amount of CDs/vinyl at this point seeing as I realistically have nigh zero (except a couple here and there that I held onto for sentimental value over the years).

That said, once the Vidar comes out, I'm hoping to build myself a decent speaker setup to experiment with - I'm headphones only asides a pair of Devialet Phantoms in the living room (mostly for the wife, she's a speaker gal) but I figure seeing as I purchased a Freya to try out with my headphone amps I may as well make full use of it and go the extra mile to build an externally powered speaker system with a Vidar. Hopefully it doesn't set me back too far over a grand, that'd be bad news, hopefully I can control myself. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #2,444 of 14,565
Aw man... 
frown.gif

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/james-cotton-blues-harmonica-veteran-dead-at-81-w472545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back