What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 18, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,461 of 14,565
I get your point about simple genre buttons being insufficient.

That said, if there were several canned genre settings (similar in concept to the way DSPs currently do large hall, rock concert, jazz club, etc.) AND we could leverage those genre settings 'as is' or just as a starting point to tweak (using 'Frankenstein' mode) and then save the settings, that would be optimal from my perspective. I'd rather not spend hours on end learning/twiddling with a multitude of settings when I can leverage existing settings that get me close and modify them.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,464 of 14,565

That said, if there were several canned genre settings ... and then save the settings, that would be optimal from my perspective.

I like the idea of savable settings.  How about a thumb drive with settings on the device.  Plug it and boom! it's configured a particular way.

I can envision a thriving secondary market of settings.  

"These settings make those cans really sing!"
"This setting puts you in the 4th row of the LSO SIbellus 1"

etc.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,465 of 14,565

That said, if there were several canned genre settings (similar in concept to the way DSPs currently do large hall, rock concert, jazz club, etc.) AND we could leverage those genre settings 'as is' or just as a starting point to tweak (using 'Frankenstein' mode) and then save the settings, that would be optimal from my perspective. I'd rather not spend hours on end learning/twiddling with a multitude of settings when I can leverage existing settings that get me close and modify them.

If you want to know true madness, get Bughead Emperor music player... with it's literally endless tweakable settings, it will suck you down a black hole of fiddling from which you will never return.

I learned my lesson regarding too many options.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,467 of 14,565
I stand by my preference that, at the very least for v1, Mike decides what sounds best and ships it with that one setting and a bypass button. There is enough complexity in this world. The paradox of choice, we know, is that too much (1) causes anxiety and (2) makes us worse at it. Understanding this, President Obama famously delegated every choice he could (wardrobe, meal choice, interior decoration) to others.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,468 of 14,565
  There is enough complexity in this world. 

Indeed !... maybe a 'generic' setting (a la @Baldr) for numpties (like me) and a 'Pro' override

EDIT: If the 'Numpty' setting is an 'immersive' version of of the sound I get from the Gumby... I'll be happy !

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,470 of 14,565
  I stand by my preference that, at the very least for v1, Mike decides what sounds best and ships it with that one setting and a bypass button.

Agreed.  This approach, in either their small or medium chassis, would make the most sense for an initial product launch.  Variations could follow after customer response and input.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,471 of 14,565
... or not.  If you've followed the Schiit story much you'll notice that they do pretty much what they want to do because they like doing it more than they do things that respond to customer input.  I like that about them.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,472 of 14,565
Now for something completely different:  Continued reporting of ersatz audio technology which whips pilgrims into new audio worldviews based upon faith:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831291/ces-2017-mqa-announces-tidal-masters-and-more/570#post_13350469

@castleofargh pops up from time to time with the true gospel that we are all well served scientific honesty.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back