What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #2,476 of 14,565

Let's just hope this year is not anywhere near as lossy as last!!

And now Chuck Berry...
frown.gif

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/musicians-entertainers-chuck-berry-death-reaction-1.4031588

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #2,477 of 14,565
An interesting video - The Art of Listening (Music Documentary 2017), from the perspective of musicians & recording engineers. Some great names here....

https://youtu.be/3_5MnvCUvDU

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,479 of 14,565
  I stand by my preference that, at the very least for v1, Mike decides what sounds best and ships it with that one setting and a bypass button.

Wondering about the details of the MP program - specifically how many parameters are involved. In other words, how many qualities of the signal are identified, separated out and modified? This will have a significant effect on not only sound quality, but how much user flexibility can (or should) be provided.

Say the program only deals with two variables. Easy, just put two knobs on for the punters to play with, a toggle switch for one or two presets and the in/out button. Could probably put it in an Asgard-size case and power it with a wall wart. How much harm could anyone do?

At the other extreme, if there are 24 parameters, hold the phone. Would even the most OCD audiophile want to twiddle 24 knobs (perhaps I should rephrase that...sounds lewd)? And how big would your unit have to be (there I go again) to accommodate them? It would take a lap-top size screen to manage everything. Jason, at least, seems to despise screens. And some posters are already asking for the ability to save their custom settings. More controls, more memory, starting to sound like a regular old computer - a tablet if not a laptop.

Have a hard time believing that one setting will be a panacea. Is it likely the same compensation will be best for both piano and brass? What about Kodo drums and harpsichords? And will the piano setting be the same for everything from a honky-tonk upright to a Bosendorfer? And what about the quality of the recording?

Hoping to make it to CanJam next month, where I can put some of these questions to Mike in person. How do you rate my odds of getting away without a split lip?
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,481 of 14,565
I'll cast my vote for a simple box with one engaged-bypass switch(button).  The reasons are that I trust Mike and his team to give us optimal settings since they understand the gadget's magic a whole lot better than I do.  This also keeps the cost down so that most of us will be able to buy it and try it.  

Some thinking out loud on the subject leads me to conclude there are other reasons for using this approach which may have been behind Mike's suggestion that he's leaning toward a simple box.  I believe Mike mentioned that they have a solution (in silico anyway) for the first of 13 variables.  If he meant literally that 13 variables need to be tweaked then the options are not good for most of us. Ableza just showed us what having a lot of parameters to control might look like.  If there are 13 parameters then just turning them on-off  takes 13 switches assuming they are independent variables. Even if there is no interaction between the variables there are 8192 possible settings of the 13 switches.   If the parameters are not independent, then each change will require other compensatory changes.  If variable controls are used then there are an infinite number of settings and if the parameters interact then the odds of finding  optimal settings for each kind of source music are pretty small (assuming the changes are audible).  Yes, I remember analog equalizers.  I have even run soundboards. It can be done by trained users but most settings are set and forget.  If the 13 parameters are set and forget, then we don't really need to be able to adjust them. Maybe I'm a pessimist but I see the potential for really messing up the music.

There is a way to overcome the complexity. One could perform the parameter optimization in silico but of course Schiit does not want to write software for us to tinker with on our computers, they want to make a little box that does magic for our listening experience.  From a user satisfaction point of view, offering support for using 13 knobs effectively is almost as bad as supporting software.  The Wyrd is a perfect example of what I am looking for.  Plug it in and if it improves the experience, great.

Added afterthought:  The one button solution also adheres to the KISS principle of engineering.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,482 of 14,565
^ This. Indeed.

13 variables - if fully independent - defines a 13-dimensional space. Some of us have difficulty navigating 3-4.

However it's more than possible 99% of this space sounds like ass. If so, Mike and his team's problem is to give us an easy way to navigate the sweet spot(s)...

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,488 of 14,565
   Well let's be honest.
He was not smothered in the crib.
81yrs is nothing to be sad about.

​When you reach 81 you will want to renegotiate!
biggrin.gif
 ​Hope Mike and Jason are productive at 81. Sorry for delayed reply, now back to regularly scheduled programing...

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2,489 of 14,565

​When you reach 81 you will want to renegotiate!
biggrin.gif
 ​Hope Mike and Jason are productive at 81. Sorry for delayed reply, now back to regularly scheduled programing...

Ah, I already know 81 wil not be possible for me.
And there will be no renegotiation.
Now, back to bizz indeed.
It's really quit amusing how we all pretend to know what Mike is brooding while none of us knows anything.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,490 of 14,565
  An interesting video - The Art of Listening (Music Documentary 2017), from the perspective of musicians & recording engineers. Some great names here....

https://youtu.be/3_5MnvCUvDU

Very good and informative!  Thanks for sharing the video!

Je vous remercie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back