What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,371 of 14,564
  Fully adjustable Gadget that may damage equipment would be a bad thing.  I think 2 models, one cheaper with limited flexibility and one with moah!

How does the effect of the Gadget compare to Cello's Audio Palette or Daniel Hertz Master Class?

​Both appear to be EQ, the former hardware based and the latter software based.  Mr. Moffat has already stated that Manhattan is not EQ.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,372 of 14,564
  Fully adjustable Gadget that may damage equipment would be a bad thing.  I think 2 models, one cheaper with limited flexibility and one with moah!

How does the effect of the Gadget compare to Cello's Audio Palette or Daniel Hertz Master Class?

Gadget will damage neither equipment nor ears.  Conceivably, it could be adjusted so badly one could wish you were deaf.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 13, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,373 of 14,564

Gadget will damage neither equipment nor ears.  Conceivably, it could be adjusted so badly one could wish you were deaf.

​My former business partner, who did not appreciate some of the more eclectic genre I sometimes listen to, used to say, "that sound could sterilize roaches at 300 feet."

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,374 of 14,564
  Should be easy enough to offer two or three standard settings, selectable by toggling with a button a la Ragnarok. Mode A might be best for classical, jazz fans might prefer Mode B, then there's Baldr's reserve setting at Mode C. And Mode D could be the Frankenstein channel, full user adjustment.

Letting folks roll their own would almost certainly involve either rotary knobs or a screen (which could also display value curves or suchlike.) This might also require a user manual with real lengthy instructions rather than Jason's usual breezy quipfest. Of course, there's endless opportunity for people to get it horribly wrong, but where's the harm if they're playing in their own living rooms? They might even learn something.

Whatever appears should be very cool, not least because it will put the proverbial cat amongst the high-end pigeons. Can't wait.

I think the genius with Schiit's products so far is that (and I'm sure the customer service inbox would disabuse me of this conviction) they are basically idiot-proof. Unless you're plugging IEMs into the Rag with a gain of 20, you've got input selectors, gain selectors, output selectors, and volume knobs. Mani is a little fiddly but once you've set it, it's basically done.

If it were me, and I were unleashing a game changer on the world, my v.1 would have a power switch and a single button to "bypass" the box's single setting. Let multiple settings come in v.2, when I've heard feedback from a few thousand pairs of ears. 

AKG's N90Q has three EQ settings—regular, "studio," and "surround"—and it seems like this (Manhattan) is a much more intellectually rigorous implementation of the same project—purposeful manipulation of sound with the listener's involvement in the music as the ultimate north star. Alas, the N90Q knows nothing of music theory, and only accepts USB in (barf).

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,375 of 14,564

I was suspecting that was the case, pretty much when we have the displeasure to listen to a very poorly mixed/mastered record. Except for the agony of listening the music being butchered, there is no harm.

I don't know if you're willing to answer, but I have a question related to what you mentioned in an earlier post that wasn't clear to me (english is not my native tongue).

Basically, if I understood correctly, MP does its magic when the music is made with "real" instruments, like a cello, violin or an acoustic guitar, but the improvement is null or very subtle if the music consists of "synthetic" instruments, like the one usually an artist like Jean Michelle Jarré makes, for example?

If that's the case, what happens when you use MP with music created with software that emulates real instruments via sampling? is the improvement still zero or near to zero?

Regards!

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,378 of 14,564
  There won't be a Yggy 2 any time soon, I think, because the Yggy is UPGRADEABLE!
There may be a Yggy 1.5 if such an upgrade were to happen.

(I don't work at Schiit nor am I a licensed astrologer) 

Yggy and Raggy will never have a -2 version because they will always be defined as "the statement products."

At least, that was true 6 months ago.  There may be improvements, but the statement names are set. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #2,379 of 14,564
I was suggesting a major upgrade to Yggy, not a different box. It was a SWAG since there is no way of really knowing.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,380 of 14,564
I rather have yggy 2 then yggy 2015, something that Audeze did to themselves

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,381 of 14,564
Would a Fulla multibit be feasible with regards to heat? My Mimby puts dissipates quite a bit of heat in a much larger case. I think it gets warmer than my Vali 2. And that's not including the heat generated from the amp section a multibit Fulla would have.

But then again, I'm not a hardware engineer, but it seems like quite a challenge.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #2,382 of 14,564
  Would a Fulla multibit be feasible with regards to heat? My Mimby puts dissipates quite a bit of heat in a much larger case. I think it gets warmer than my Vali 2. And that's not including the heat generated from the amp section a multibit Fulla would have.

But then again, I'm not a hardware engineer, but it seems like quite a challenge.

Not sure if its Possible to squeeze a MB into a fulla 2 but after the Bimby I did not think Mimby was possible because there was not enough room in the Bimby for discrete so we don't really know. However if it is possible sign me up for the portable hand warmer. The Only thing is considering the A/D MB Dacs require them to be powered for a few hours to many hours to sound their best, a portable version may be debatable. I wonder if there are other MB chips that do not require this warm up time. I do find my self feeling up the mimby on cold mornings. It does seem to run warmer compared the Vali 2. or Modi 2 Uber. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #2,383 of 14,564
Not sure if its Possible to squeeze a MB into a fulla 2 but after the Bimby I did not think Mimby was possible because there was not enough room in the Bimby for discrete so we don't really know. However if it is possible sign me up for the portable hand warmer. The Only thing is considering the A/D MB Dacs require them to be powered for a few hours to many hours to sound their best, a portable version may be debatable. I wonder if there are other MB chips that do not require this warm up time. I do find my self feeling up the mimby on cold mornings. It does seem to run warmer compared the Vali 2. or Modi 2 Uber. 

I think the biggest problem with a possible "Fimby" would be power. The USB 2 port would have insufficient power for the DSP. It would probably require one of the new flippy USB ports to power such a device. That setup is a bit immature for Schiit to jump on it.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,385 of 14,564
The gadget is supposed to be something novel or new, never done before. That's why it's as secret as the Manhatten Project. Only time and Mike will tell. I'll bet he's having a lot of fun watching us guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back