What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 6, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,876 of 14,566
As I sit here listening to the very energetic 13th Floor Elevators I am inspired to complete further thoughts on digital audio connectivity applied to we who build Schiit. (It would probably be more fun to comment on the genus of Psychedelic Rock being Texan, as opposed to San Franciscan, but I will save that argument for later if anyone is interested.)
I saved the least talked about for first. Direct connection – (What is that??) This is the direct connection of digital clocks and data, which has been around since even before S/PDIF, but more recently come to be known as I2S, as if that is the only direct transfer protocol. I2S complicates the transfer protocol with a one bit delay of the word clock; I cannot help but look askance at this delay when considering ways to optimally remove jitter from this most critical of clocks. These have neither electrostatic nor electromagnetic isolation. I suppose this could be the ideal way to do things in an alternative universe where someone bothered to standardize and isolate (with only small distances tolerated between source and DAC), but in the current physical universe, not do-able.
Then we have S/PDIF; it has been around forever. It is an audio interface, designed only for that application. For that reason, it is reliable. Indeed, the most reliable. TOSlink versions degrade the jitter, but add isolation, albeit over short distances between source and DAC. In addition, TOS is only specced up to 96K sample rates – there are, however a few combinations of links/hardware combos which MAY work at 192KHz, however non reproducibly. I believe, however, there is no official support for this 10lbs of data in a 5lb bag. Far better to use coax.
Below we enter into computer based interfaces which were NOT designed for audio. These would be USB and AOIP. In order to use them, we have to deal with ugly layers between the source and the destination, for example ASIO. It is why many makers of software decoders players have an exclusive mode which bypasses most of the very thick rubber in the OS layer. The problem is the reliability with exclusive modes, which is very much a YMMV area. AOIP requires networks, routers (whether built-in or not). What they have in common is that is forces audio makers such as ourselves to support Windoze, Apple, and Android devices which we had no hand in making. What the user needs to remember is that this raises the price of audio devices made not just by us, but for everyone else we compete with.
Now, I hate being in the computer customer support biz, but it is what we must do as long as folks want to keep using interfaces specifically not designed for audio. (Kinda like doing the unspeakable to sheep.) But wait! Surely there must be some silver lining in using these misapplied interfaces. AHA! AOIP gives you two advantages! Isolation and distance. Isolation, true, honest to God isolation, both electrostatic and electromagnetic. There is a thread on this forum and some users who really believe in a certain hardware brand as sounding better than any other interface. Now I believe where there is smoke, there is probably fire.
Distance! This means you can setup your source machine in your garage, your destination machines in your bedroom, living room, and run between them all to stay in shape! Well, not. Pro uses, yes. Home automation installs in 36,000 sq. ft. homes, yes. That's just not our market. We build for the ROW (rest of the word). This not to say I am an AES67 denier. I know there applications for audio over internet (home automation) and some of our clients are willing to pay for it. It is just I am not willing to make (and worse yet) support it.
Now I know that the clients who believe in the exalted sound of the better AOIP systems believe there is something truly special, indeed magical about the sound. Give the reliance on the layers in the OSes between the file and the network output, I wondered.
So my goal was to build a universal product of isolation for a non distributed audio system that is truly as isolated as AOIP. If all those who have heard them say they are sonically competitive in the context of all of the above, look out.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 6, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,877 of 14,566
  It would probably be more fun to comment on the genus of Psychedelic Rock being Texan, as opposed to San Franciscan, but I will save that argument for later if anyone is interested.

Count me as interested. I'd be curious to know where Texans would have obtained pure Sandoz in the early 60's.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #1,878 of 14,566
  As I sit here listening to the very energetic 13th Floor Elevators [GREAT band}

-- edit.  Interface discussion --

Interesting that you didn't mention AES3 which is the digital audio I/O I default to whenever I can (thank you for including it in Yggdrasil.) 

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #1,879 of 14,566
As I sit here listening to the very energetic 13th Floor Elevators I am inspired to complete further thoughts on digital audio connectivity applied to we who build Schiit (It would probably be more fun to comment on the genus of Psychedelic Rock being Texan, as opposed to San Franciscan, but I will save that argument for later if anyone is interested.)

General recognition is that Roky Erickson brought psychedelic rock out with him from Austin to San Francisco, which was mainly into folk music before he arrived. Everybody got behind Two Headed Dog.

Count me as interested. I'd be curious to know where Texans would have obtained pure Sandoz in the early 60's.

Don't know about Sandoz, but psilocybin mushrooms and peyote buttons were in abundance. Also, Owsley was known to set up labs in multiple locations, and I believe Austin was one of them.

Actually, Houston was more of a hotbed for music early on than Austin. At one time 13th Floor Elevators shared a house with ZZ Top, who modeled themselves after them, calling themselves the Moving Sidewalks.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #1,880 of 14,566
Mike M…
There are several of us here in our local group who are looking forward to what you come up with as we watch this whole aspect of our digital audio systems continue to morph and be further refined.

I figure since we are now seeking a more focused, dedicated, and 'proper' digital audio 'transport' system, and that this could be considered an opportunity, the race is on.
And we figure the Chinese are also looking into this as well.

The SQ gains alone thus far (AOIP) are well worth the effort, and the ongoing refinements are just more 'icing on the cake'.

But as I mentioned previously, there do seem to be several aspects that have a major impact upon the transmission of the digital stream, just in terms of SQ alone.

Yes complete isolation certainly seems to play a key role here, perhaps even a predominant one.
And perhaps another aspect is in minimizing the noise that digital circuits make (they ARE noisy) and how it can and does propagate thruout the entire digital audio chain/transport system (thru the grounds, the one common connection they all share?).

This is perhaps best reflected in the ongoing efforts to replace the SMPS units with LPS's, which only deals with half of the noise issue (create less vs. minimize it's propagation).

And we also know that if there is a true Schiit digital audio transport of comperable SQ, it will shatter the price barrier, and EVERYONE wins.

JJ

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #1,881 of 14,566
I, for one, am excited on this development (or plan) to build a dedicated audio interface the Baldr is speaking of. If it is something universal i.e. would work with other DACs, then I believe there is a big market for it. The Baldr is maybe on to something... Exciting times for (computer) audio.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,882 of 14,566
  So my goal was to build a universal product of isolation for a non distributed audio system that is truly as isolated as AOIP. If all those who have heard them say they are sonically competitive in the context of all of the above, look out.

The AOIP ppl are going to come after you with pitchforks now! :wink:

I like the idea of an AOIP system throughout the house so my music follows me like the doors/elevators in Star Trek.  Its other benefits are nice but the fact that is requires Windows or Mac irritates (and I like Macs).  And the prices!  Doesn't even have the jewelry aspect.

All kidding aside I look forward to trying your new device.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,883 of 14,566
As a somewhat old Texan, Stacy Sutherland and Rocky Erickson thought San Fran was more of a folk thing in '66. Psychodelia was there way of approaching music. Put on "Slip Inside This House" with all the lights off and AC turned up and let your mind go. Utterly fabulous. My 2 cents from friends that knew them in Houston, Montrose, more specific. Can't go wrong with "You're Gonna Miss Me", either, Doug Sahm does a great version too.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,884 of 14,566
Genesis Digital Lens rebirth!

We deserve isolation AND re-clocking. That's what those red AOIP boxes provide (JetPLL), in addition to a rather painful setup for non-technical people.

Pretty please 
atsmile.gif

ATT fiber, could make a most welcomed come back, too 
L3000.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,885 of 14,566
The AOIP ppl are going to come after you with pitchforks now! :wink:

Sigh...no, I'll probably come after him with a handful of cash as usual. :cool:

In the meantime, my jaw remains dropped listening to my uDO/Yggy Ethernet rig.

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,886 of 14,566
Just a few comments on the Texas Psychedelic Rock diaspora as I have studied/heard -

@OlBlueHiFiDude is right on from someone who was there. San Francisco was folksy. Thanks.

Sandoz was legal in Calif up until October of 1967 – Peyote and SillySybin no. They were, however, legal in Texas, a state at the time where a second bust for pot could get you life. Apparently there was a trade inspired by migratory musicians.

Janis' early recordings with the Waller Street Boys reveal a Bessie Smith-like belting blueser without her characteristic screams and emotion. After hearing Roky Erickson's singing on the 13th Floor's catalog, his influence on her vocal style is really obvious.

A few more must-hear groups from the era and area are Bubble Puppy, Fever Tree, Moving Sidewalks, Conqueroo, Golden Dawn, and my personal favorite, Shiva's Headband.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 7, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,888 of 14,566
General recognition is that Roky Erickson brought psychedelic rock out with him from Austin to San Francisco, which was mainly into folk music before he arrived. Everybody got behind Two Headed Dog.
Don't know about Sandoz, but psilocybin mushrooms and peyote buttons were in abundance. Also, Owsley was known to set up labs in multiple locations, and I believe Austin was one of them.

Actually, Houston was more of a hotbed for music early on than Austin. At one time 13th Floor Elevators shared a house with ZZ Top, who modeled themselves after them, calling themselves the Moving Sidewalks.

I was in high school in Houston when that was going on. Good times.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,889 of 14,566
Sandoz was legal in Calif up until October of 1967 – Peyote and SillySybin no. They were, however, legal in Texas, a state at the time where a second bust for pot could get you life. Apparently there was a trade inspired by migratory musicians.

Actually, psilocybin mushrooms are indigenous along the gulf coast, and peyote cacti are indigenous to the southern Texas border. We're talking spontaneous expansion here. :wink:

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,890 of 14,566
For my 1000th post, let me say that I very much enjoyed last Sunday's festivities. As you all know, it was a momentous occasion, and I'm sure we all marked the 130th anniversary of the premiere of Verdi's Otello with critical listening sessions. In my case, I listened to Levine in the pit and Domingo in the title role. Really great stuff. In my view, the high point of Italian tragedy, perhaps all of Italian opera. I can't think of anything that exceeds it—you need to go back to the C17 and C18, and those are such different musical paradigms (and written largely by Austrians like Mozart and Germans like Handel) that I hardly think they bear comparison. Closer comparisons like Don Carlo come nowhere near the economy, poetry, and intensity of Otello. If you haven't listened recently, it's a quick listen. I keep meaning to listen to the Furtwangler and Toscanini, as those are perhaps the two best readings, but the sound is so bad that I need to get the HD600 out of storage (or buy the baby orpheus on the classifieds, which I'm trying hard not to do!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back