What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 29, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,846 of 14,566

True, but we all know that Wagner was beyond the madness marker---as were most of the romantic period composers-----brilliant, but highly unstable. 

Schumann also went insane, yes, as did Donizetti, but I struggle to think of others. Verdi was pretty sane. Ditto Brahms, Mendelssohn, Rossini. Bruckner was cripplingly self-conscious but idk if I'd call him mad.

Funny thing about Wagner re the dizzying cloud of fog shot through with lightning effect his music has on us (to quote Debussy): he had impeccably neat handwriting. His autograph scores (unlike those illegible monstrosities of Beethoven) are models of penmanship. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,847 of 14,566

Schumann also went insane, yes, as did Donizetti, but I struggle to think of others. Verdi was pretty sane. Ditto Brahms, Mendelssohn, Rossini. Bruckner was cripplingly self-conscious but idk if I'd call him mad.

Funny thing about Wagner re the dizzying cloud of fog shot through with lightning effect his music has on us (to quote Debussy): he had impeccably neat handwriting. His autograph scores (unlike those illegible monstrosities of Beethoven) are models of penmanship. 

I suppose that the earlier composers  [like Berlioz], make these fellows look mild!

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,849 of 14,566
To my ears this File Origami is big improvement tonight as I am listening to Bob James - The New Cool on Tidal/MQA.

Do you have an MQA enabled DAC using the Tidal Pass through? I gave it a run using Tidal to decode the MQA. That lasted about an hour of back and forth between MQA and the standard Tidal file. I preferred to standard 16/44.1.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,850 of 14,566
To my ears this File Origami is big improvement tonight as I am listening to Bob James - The New Cool on Tidal/MQA.

I'm not sure if you are allowed to post an opinion on MQA if you've actually listened to it. 
wink.gif

ph34r.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #1,851 of 14,566
So I have a question- how does one tell if they are listening to MQA on Tidal? I haven't seen any specific libraries or labeling on any songs. I pulled up Bob James and his content look just like all the other content lol. Just curious...

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,853 of 14,566
So I have a question- how does one tell if they are listening to MQA on Tidal? I haven't seen any specific libraries or labeling on any songs. I pulled up Bob James and his content look just like all the other content lol. Just curious...

Install Tidal App for windows or Max (this is not the browser version)
Setting > Select DAC and click gear next to DAC )while hovering over DAC name)
Select exclusive mode. Do not select pass thru unless you have a DAC that is MQA capable. No Schiit.

What's New
Then scroll down to Albums Section
Select Masters
Click Show All
See all the MQA (Master) Albums
When you play a master it will show in bottom right as master as opposed to HIFI.

Try it yourself.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #1,855 of 14,566

Elsewhere there's been evidence posted that at least some of the Tidal MQA streams have been remastered. That is, the changes may not in the coding/streaming protocol, but in the (re)mastering. Of course, MQA fans might argue that that's one of the benefits of MQA, the potential for better encoding of the source. But a cynic might suggest that the labels have an incentive to work with MQA to provide improved mastering so they can sell again the same material. And for some of us who are mostly interested in new music from specialty labels that are too small to get any attention from "the industry," this whole circus is irrelevant. Long live Bandcamp!

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #1,856 of 14,566

I was tellin Mrs. Gad1 that now that the mythical
mystical aural alchemist had shook the "undesired
parameter alteration" blues, that manhattan is
comin, like Jesus, we just gotta bee patient,
chill; but it aint ez waitin 4 manhattan; tick tock
tick tock tick tock.  Man I need a drink:

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,857 of 14,566
RE Tube life - I really have not studied this topic to be able to comment authoritatively; that said, I do have quite a bit of experience with tubes over the last 50 years or so as a user.  That experience tells me that (power tubes aside)they tend to have quite a long life, much more so than I expected.  My experiences with 6DJ8ish tubes over the last 40 years or so tell me they seem to last at least 5 years or so of hard life, before replacing them reveals that the older ones are beginning to sound like ass. Power output tubes (EL34, 6550, 6L6, 2A3, 300B, etc.) seem to be shorter, with 2 years or so of the same hard use life.

I just found a textbook from the 1940's that deals with tube design.  NOT design with tubes, but how to design vacuum tubes themselves.  More will be revealed as the book is already in my bathroom.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 31, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #1,858 of 14,566
  RE Tube life - I really have not studied this topic to be able to comment authoritatively; that said, I do have quite a bit of experience with tubes over the last 50 years or so as a user.  That experience tells me that (power tubes aside)they tend to have quite a long life, much more so than I expected.  My experiences with 6DJ8ish tubes over the last 40 years or so tell me they seem to last at least 5 years or so of hard life, before replacing them reveals that the older ones are beginning to sound like ass. Power output tubes (EL34, 6550, 6L6, 2A3, 300B, etc.) seem to be shorter, with 2 years or so of the same hard use life.

I just found a textbook from the 1940's that deals with tube design.  NOT design with tubes, but how to design vacuum tubes themselves.  More will be revealed as the book is already in my bathroom.

You've promised never to release a server. Can you make that same promise on tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back