What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 31, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,865 of 14,566
  RE Tube life - I really have not studied this topic to be able to comment authoritatively; that said, I do have quite a bit of experience with tubes over the last 50 years or so as a user.  That experience tells me that (power tubes aside)they tend to have quite a long life, much more so than I expected.  My experiences with 6DJ8ish tubes over the last 40 years or so tell me they seem to last at least 5 years or so of hard life, before replacing them reveals that the older ones are beginning to sound like ass. Power output tubes (EL34, 6550, 6L6, 2A3, 300B, etc.) seem to be shorter, with 2 years or so of the same hard use life.

I just found a textbook from the 1940's that deals with tube design.  NOT design with tubes, but how to design vacuum tubes themselvesMore will be revealed as the book is already in my bathroom.

ahh, so that's where these schiity ideas come from! 
wink_face.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,867 of 14,566
  ahh, so that's where these schiity ideas come from! 
wink_face.gif

Martin Luther was supposed to have had his big revelation about every person could pray directly to God instead of having to petition him through a priest or cleric intermediary while having a huge dump after being constipated.  And was immediately branded a heretic.

Sound familiar? 
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #1,869 of 14,566
For a lay person, what's the best way to test tubes to see if they're bad? Back in the day you could take it to a hardware store but unfortunately those times have gone away.

One easy way is to drop it onto a hard surface. If it breaks, it is now definitely bad :p

(I'm joking)

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,870 of 14,566
That's a derivative of the float test.
If it sinks it was bad, if it floats, well, you're free to go get it…

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,872 of 14,566
Feb 2, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,873 of 14,566

Isn't that the test for witches?  Didn't know it worked for tubes, too.

It's SoP testing procedure for Alaska.
Which when used up north tends to add to the finality of the test…

JJ
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back