Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4,126 of 4,413
  Just go the start kit for the Westone Star Tips. Anyone have any suggestions for what tip size to use? I generally use medium Shure olives and I tried the orange tipped silicone tips and it was interesting getting a fit with them. They provided a great seal but it also felt like the earphone pieces were sticking out of my ear more than usual. Also is there any suggested method to insert silicone tips? I've never really used them and am used to rolling my foam tips. I just mashed these in until it felt like I got a good seal.

Are the foam star tips any good?

nope, imo the star silicone and true fit are aweful. the ergonomics arent there.

you would be better off going with shure tips or outsourcing 3rd party tips.

ive tried all the star silicone and true fit, with the exception of the extra large tips, and all of them have poor ergonomics and poor sound quality IMO 

you might want to try the shure pa757 tip, personally outside of the proguard earportz tips, these are my second fav tip, with the PA757 the tip is flared out, i feel this helps with both mids and highs. they arent medical grade silicone though, they are kinda stiff, but i still find them to be a great tip;

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #4,127 of 4,413
  Just go the start kit for the Westone Star Tips. Anyone have any suggestions for what tip size to use? I generally use medium Shure olives and I tried the orange tipped silicone tips and it was interesting getting a fit with them. They provided a great seal but it also felt like the earphone pieces were sticking out of my ear more than usual. Also is there any suggested method to insert silicone tips? I've never really used them and am used to rolling my foam tips. I just mashed these in until it felt like I got a good seal.

They did stick out the ear a bit more than the foam ones, but I just went with shure olives as that was what suited me the most and gave me the best isolation and seal.
just stick with what works for you.

The star tips weren't bad, and actually didnt change the sound much, i just didnt like the fact that it created a vacuum with my ear every time I had to pull the earphone out.
And that they stuck out a bit more than with the shure olives.

The only benefit i see with them is not having to maintain/replace them as much as foam tips

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,128 of 4,413
Star foams? The Westone Star tips that I've used are thin silicon.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,129 of 4,413
Star foams? The Westone Star tips that I've used are thin silicon.

I bought these off Amazon:

They came with both silicon and foam, guess what I thought were star tips are actually true-fit foam. I might try this out a little more but they don't seem as comfortable as the sure olives I'm used to using.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #4,130 of 4,413
yep, i definitely prefer shure olives over westone foams
just seem to get better isolation, with the westone foams fitting in too deep, it starts to get uncomfortable after a while, but that could just be me

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #4,131 of 4,413
My preference is the Star tips...silicone, It is preference obviously. I get good seal from both star and true fit tips. I wish I had some Large Shure olives to try, I have medium but just dont get a good seal with them. If someone would like to trade that has large , let me know.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4,132 of 4,413
Its all about fit and comfort IMHO, and not a one tip fits all.  I prefer the new star silicones for fit and sound for example.  The big thing I discovered recently was that many people (ME INCLUDED ) have ear canal resonances that affect the response curve.

And I have since equalized to correct for this bump in many on the ear as well as in the ear cans.  There is a great head-fi article about it here in paragraph 3:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Great eq article btw.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4,134 of 4,413
I see.

I love the star tips, I use them with my SE215 now that my UM3X has a new owner. The fit depth on the black ones is absolutely perfect for my ears and it helps get a slightly clearer, more balanced sound from my Shure's without disturbing their awesome bass :)

By the way, anyone looking for a cheaper phone with a similar sound sig to the UM3X should check out the SE215. Obviously the presentation isn't on the same level, but the overall tonality is similar, though the Shure's have more bass. When I first got the UM3X, my first reaction was "Holy crap, these are like a grown-up SE215!"

Westone tru fit foam Tips + Westone Star Silicone Tips

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #4,135 of 4,413
I see.

I love the star tips, I use them with my SE215 now that my UM3X has a new owner. The fit depth on the black ones is absolutely perfect for my ears and it helps get a slightly clearer, more balanced sound from my Shure's without disturbing their awesome bass :)

By the way, anyone looking for a cheaper phone with a similar sound Sig to the UM3X should check our the SE215. obviously the presentation isn't on the same level, but the overall tonality is similar, though the Shure's have more bass. When I first got the UM3X, my first reaction was "Holy crap, these are like a grown-up SE215!"

i havent totally written the star tips off. they kinda put me off, but i do really like the silicones softness, and i liked the idea of having a P series style tip in silicone form, much like the i believe orange or red silicone star tips are like. the problem for me at least i think is they are too long, and not enough ergonomics for my particular ears, obviously to each their own.

im coming from the w4r which are heavy tip dependent on the sound quality.

i have been more open to trying the tru fit and star silicones with my se535 that arent as tip dependent on sound quality. although my se535 didnt come with the factory packaged tips only the olives, so i purchased some shure soft grey sleeves.

im a tip whore. i like trying all kinds of tips out lol

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #4,136 of 4,413
To get really picky here....and these are general comments maybe not applicable to everyone.  The old style "flex" silicone tips were siblant for many.  I think the longer flange on the star tips helps eliminate a lot of the siblance but I still detect a little bit with treble emphasized IEM's.  More importantly, with all the silicone tips there seems to be a slight lack of cohesiveness in the sound.  This could very well be attributed to ear anatomy but certainly worth noting.  The comply tips should provide everyone a "perfect" fit as the foam expands to create the seal no matter what your ear anatomy is....that's the whole purpose of the design.  The lone drawback is a softening of the treble but a slight EQ treble boost corrects this.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #4,137 of 4,413
Have you tried the black ones? I swear they were made for my ears, lol...

Quote:
  i havent totally written the star tips off. they kinda put me off, but i do really like the silicones softness, and i liked the idea of having a P series style tip in silicone form, much like the i believe orange or red silicone star tips are like. the problem for me at least i think is they are too long, and not enough ergonomics for my particular ears, obviously to each their own.

im coming from the w4r which are heavy tip dependent on the sound quality.

i have been more open to trying the tru fit and star silicones with my se535 that arent as tip dependent on sound quality. although my se535 didnt come with the factory packaged tips only the olives, so i purchased some shure soft grey sleeves.

im a tip whore. i like trying all kinds of tips out lol

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #4,138 of 4,413
Yesterday I got the westone star tips and i have to say the black medium one is pure magic! Big upgrade from the older westone tips. I uually used the silicone tips from Vsonic, but there is no contest, star tips are much better.
Soundwise the sound gets a more open feel, the highs comes out more and the bass is still strong.
Big thanks to Spyro and Gilly87 :)

Is it worth to upgrade the cable at this point?
I was thinking about a moon audio silver dragon.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back