Westone UM3X Thread
May 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,096 of 4,413
I'd just call Westone and ask.
My UM3X broke recently, but I purchased them used and am wondering what the repair cost would be should I ship them to Westone.  It was basically the sound bore that snapped and I've toyed with the idea of trying to use some kind of crazy glue to fix them myself, but I'm not sure if it would be successful and I'm guessing if I botch it they would be throw-outs. 

Anyone know what the standard repair cost is like?  I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to repair or to start looking for a replacement IEM.  I still like the UM3X. 

May 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4,097 of 4,413
Yeah, probably the easiest way to go.  I just finished reading about someone who broke their IE8's and sent them in for repair and they were quoted $200, so I was hoping to find out if that's what is in store for me because I'll just move on to something new if that's the case. 

May 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #4,098 of 4,413
I'd guess its at least partly dependent upon what the actual problem is.

Just a heads up, my personal experience with IEMs has been that if you find a sound you like, you're better off sticking with it. All IEMs just vary so much when it comes to tonal balance, presentation, etc. that, if you have something you really like its best to stick with it, unless you are just hungry for a new sound.

May 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #4,099 of 4,413
Yeah, I agree on the point about preferred sound signatures.  I find that ergonomics are more significant to me than most as a buying criteria.  I love the UM3X ergonomics, especially after owning a triple.fi and some other less well fitting IEMs. 

May 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,100 of 4,413
Quote:
My UM3X broke recently, but I purchased them used and am wondering what the repair cost would be should I ship them to Westone.  It was basically the sound bore that snapped and I've toyed with the idea of trying to use some kind of crazy glue to fix them myself, but I'm not sure if it would be successful and I'm guessing if I botch it they would be throw-outs. 

Anyone know what the standard repair cost is like?  I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to repair or to start looking for a replacement IEM.  I still like the UM3X. 

Westone went beyond the call of duty with a problem I had with my um3x. They might do it for free or it might cost you an arm and a leg. You will have to contact them to be sure.
If the break is clean and the parts fit together tightly and you are reasonably skilled you should be able to repair it yourself. A little crazy glue goes a long way and you must be quick and precise.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #4,101 of 4,413
I am wondering if anyone has re-shelled them into customs?  I am thinking about doing it, was going to buy a broken TF10 to try, but might just do my UM3X instead.  Can anyone relate their experience doing this?

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #4,104 of 4,413
Checking in to say that I love my UM3X. My previous IEM was W3 and it broke. Was going to purchase W3 again. But I thought I gave UM3X a try. Because I find W3 have more bass than what I prefer. Also UM3X have replaceable cable. I might try different cable in the future.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #4,106 of 4,413
Yeah balanced armatures don't really change with burn-in. If you perceive changes in the sound, it is more likely due to varying insertion angles/depths, different tips, or just plain old getting used to the sound.
Quote:
Do these IEMs need any break in? I'm reading where it doesn't effect transducers that much.....

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #4,107 of 4,413
Just bought a Fiio silver cable for my UM3X, after my rabbit managed to get ahold of the stock cable (I knew buying the RC version would save my butt). At $40 shipped, I wasn't really expecting much.

Plugged it in today, and although it's slightly thicker and more microphonic, it opened up the sound considerably. I'll post some more impressions once I do some more listening (or "burn in," if you believe in that sort of thing), but it's so cheap, everyone ought to give it a try.

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #4,108 of 4,413

I have. I went through Fisher hearing, they did a fantastic job. I couldn't be happier

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #4,110 of 4,413
Just toying around with my UM3xRC. Love the sound. I am using stock cable at this moment..but soon i am gonna replace it with the silver one..!

I recommend whiplash twag. Maybe it oh so nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back