Westone UM3X Thread
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #4,160 of 4,413
Happily confirming that the UM3X sounds excellent with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. No audible hiss or noise, even with the stock music player. Poweramp takes it to a whole new level.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #4,161 of 4,413
Goldenears posted the Westone UM30 Pro measurements and they look a pinch different than those for the UM3x. So objectively the sound is not exactly the same. Subjectively it looks so...

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,162 of 4,413
How can I get a bass comparison between W4 and UM3X (Pro30)?

I wish to know which is superior on paper?  I thought W4 had perhaps best among universal but as I listen to UM3X I am questioning that for  few reasons.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #4,163 of 4,413
  Goldenears posted the Westone UM30 Pro measurements and they look a pinch different than those for the UM3x. So objectively the sound is not exactly the same. Subjectively it looks so...

If the difference is marginal then it can easily be due to placement/fitting of DUT on to the measuring device as well as manufacturing variances. But there are 2 glaring difference in the way the UM3X is measured compared to the UM PRO 30. First is the tip difference. UM PRO seems to be measured using some kind of silicon tips(It doesn't seem like the star tips were used, I don't know why) which people reviewing claim to give an extra bit of treble after using foam.

As you can see the tip used by GoldenEars in their pic doesn't match with what comes with UM PRO 30. The tip looks like one used in the GR07 from the looks of it. Second pic from ostewart.

The UM3X was measured using foam tips, flange and an etymotic foam which I can assume to be the reason for the difference in the 10 kHz area. Also, the compensation in the bass is different with the UM3X not having a bass compensation and explains the differences in the bass-mid region. The mid-treble region still retains the same form. Another factor could be in that GoldenEars seem to have changed their measuring ways or target response as the UM3X is measured over 2 years ago and the response isn't plotted on the same graph.

So yes the measurements are different but it is trivial objectively as the measurement methods are not the same. The only way to be sure is to have an updated UM3X test by GoldenEars using the same tips as they did with the UM PRO 30.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #4,165 of 4,413
  UM3X was always black one side and clear other side no matter what cable.

UM2s' were either all clear or all black which look really cool with lone designation of a red dot and blue dot to designate right from left.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #4,166 of 4,413
    UM3X was always black one side and clear other side no matter what cable.

UM2s' were either all clear or all black which look really cool with lone designation of a red dot and blue dot to designate right from left.

so what is your opinion on the um3x vs the w4r?
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #4,167 of 4,413
Its a fine line and very subjective. No one will ever convince me that W4 is "better.". It does nothing wrong but is best in class at nothing either except perhaps midrange.

W4 excels in treble extension but UM3X can match it with EQ. W4 has larger soundstage but I think UM3X excels in every other area. Most important area being cohesiveness. Also, the bass is much more effortless while just as tight and textured. Overall presentation is more aggressive, more intimate and more alive/exciting. UM3X decay is unreal. Full and extended yet overall speed is quick and tight.

If you seek something on the neutral side and lite W4 is the choice. If you seek something more robust while still staying pretty honest to the music, UM3X/Pro30 kills it.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #4,168 of 4,413
Its a fine line and very subjective. No one will ever convince me that W4 is "better.". It does nothing wrong but is best in class at nothing either except perhaps midrange.

W4 excels in treble extension but UM3X can match it with EQ. W4 has larger soundstage but I think UM3X excels in every other area. Most important area being cohesiveness. Also, the bass is much more effortless while just as tight and textured. Overall presentation is more aggressive, more intimate and more alive/exciting. UM3X decay is unreal. Full and extended yet overall speed is quick and tight.

If you seek something on the neutral side and lite W4 is the choice. If you seek something more robust while still staying pretty honest to the music, UM3X/Pro30 kills it.

yeah i just sold my westone w4r and got some um3x, i loved the w4r but i kinda got bored with them, like you said they do nothing wrong, but they werent getting much play.

what drew me to the um3x was the smaller more compact soundstage from what i read, or should i say more intimate soundstage and something thats good with live music and rock music...also bass is what im looking for, obviously quality bass vs quantity bass. but i read these have more emphasized bass...i donno i will see when i get them.

i love all my etymotic but i want a iem for my laptop or phone, i want something that is ''funner''....ety's are great for critically listening, but i also want something that isnt so analytical.

i own 2 pairs of se535 too. but want to stay with something from westone...not big on the new um series, but the um3x seemed perfect for what im looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back