Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #3,617 of 4,413

Hi guys! Read all 242 pages just in time and got mine yesterday afternoon! Gonna post my early impressions(not yet a day old) here..

As a background: I listen to mostly bands such as anberlin, paramore, versaemerge, head automatica, franco, urbandub, incubus, etc....

I listen to some RnB/Pop music such as usher, chris brown, marques houston, etc...

I also listen to some kpop like big bang, snsd, 2ne1, hwayobi, etc...

I recently got into Hans Zimmer stuff. It started with batman and inception, then I got his Last Samurai pieces and I really love those.

Out of the box:

seriously? what.a.waste. I thought I just threw 400 USD just like that.

Changed tips(medium grey sleeves suit me the best - i get the best seal with these though they are just slightly bigger than I'd like).

the sound was warming up to me and I was seeing what most of the people have mentioned about the UM3X.

Build

I hope I'm just being deceived by their looks and feel because I can't shake the feeling that these are quite delicate and fragile. The cables seem great though. At first I was hesitant but with all the praises on the quality of westone's cable - and these being replaceable, I've become more at ease in handling them. I still take care of them, I just don't baby them. 

Comfort

They are quite comfortable. These are my first IEMs that are really meant to be worn over the ear. My only problem are the tips though as they are slightly bigger than I'd like. Will have to find a way to get my hands on some olives but for now, the grey sleeves will have to do.

Bass

I was taken aback by the bass. The bass was waaaaay too much for me. I guess this is the proof that I am not a basshead(nothing against them, just means that I'm not bass hungry). After a few more mins of listening though, I came to the conclusion that the bass is MORE than natural but not so much that I hate them. it's like just a little bit more bass and it would be too much. they sort of hit the sweet spot really.

Mids

A lot of people have claimed them to be forward, for some, even TOO forward. On normal full band tracks, I would say they are forward but not too much that it's irritating. On acoustic tracks, I really appreciate the vocals being forward because it sort of makes the performance more intimate and personal.

Highs

I find my ATH-M50s to be fatiguing in the highs. these are not. I also think that they do the highs just right.

Soundstage

Honestly? I'm not great with distinguishing soundstage. For me, in IEMs, they are all small and the same. Take into consideration though that I have not tried a lot of IEMs. My experience with IEMs range from cheapos to RE0s and for a while, MPTC(borrowed). they all stay in the head. Listening with M50s is a different case though. Only then can i put the instruments in front of me instead of just in my head. 

Detail/Separation

They really do have incredible separation. I have to agree with the praises they have been receiving in this category. Even in busy tracks,.I can hear the subtle sounds. and I have heard clearly some sounds I haven't noticed where there before.

CONCLUSION: I DO NOT REGRET SPENDING ALL THAT MONEY ON THESE. THEY'RE WORTH IT.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #3,619 of 4,413

Quote:
Hello All, What is the best price for the UM3X ?

Amazon has them for $274.99 shipped

Thanks!

That is actually a very good price, considering I bought a used pair a while back for $250. (I ended up trading it for an ER-4P plus $100. Not bad. 
etysmile.gif
)

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #3,620 of 4,413

Quote:
Hello All, What is the best price for the UM3X ?

Amazon has them for $274.99 shipped

Thanks!

Most likely an un-authorized seller. It would void your warranty, keep that in mind. I believe Westone like Shure and Sennheiser list authorized sellers on their site. A warranty included pair will cost closer to $400 ( $370 or so). They're worth it at either price point. Use the discounts on this site and places like earphone solutions will sell them at $350.

Has to be sold by and shipped by Amazon for warranty to be included. Unless you want to run the gambit without, your choice.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #3,621 of 4,413
     Quote:
Most likely an un-authorized seller. It would void your warranty, keep that in mind. I believe Westone like Shure and Sennheiser list authorized sellers on their site. A warranty included pair will cost closer to $400 ( $370 or so). They're worth it at either price point. Use the discounts on this site and places like earphone solutions will sell them at $350.

Has to be sold by and shipped by Amazon for warranty to be included. Unless you want to run the gambit without, your choice.

Thank you for the heads up.  Checked the authorized dealer list and you are correct Crawford's Superstore is not authorized, http://www.westone.com/unauthorized-music-dealers.  Surprised that Amazon allows unauthorized sales.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #3,622 of 4,413
Aug 11, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #3,623 of 4,413
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #3,624 of 4,413
     Quote:
I think that is still sold third party. Looks like from "buy depot."

You're right Buy.com is not authorized to sell Westone, just spoke to Westone.

Would appreciate suggestions for the best deals on authorized UM3X

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #3,626 of 4,413
     Quote:
Check on eBay for the seller Audio Vengeance. He is an authorized dealer of Westone and you can offer on his products. I was able to buy the RC version of them for around $280

Thanks, but can't find them on eBay, found the website online, but same price as everyplace else.  No longer a seller on eBay?

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3,628 of 4,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back