Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #3,587 of 4,413

Quote:
Alright then, shall leave it off. Btw, is there any downside to UM3X being targetted to musicians on stage? Would it be a downside for casual listening?

I have not found any downside using the UM3x for casual listening.  I think the demand for sound quality is the same for either application, on stage or personal audio.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #3,588 of 4,413

Quote:
Alright then, shall leave it off. Btw, is there any downside to UM3X being targetted to musicians on stage? Would it be a downside for casual listening?

Basically, the sound signature is very smooth and non-fatiguing (no Westone 3-like treble spike) so that you can listen for long periods of time. The frequency response is also very neutral, which means they will respond well to EQing if you want a more "fun" sound. They are designed for stage monitoring, so the housings are low-profile and disappear into your ears. They are also very comfortable.

I think the only downside is the soundstage (or lack thereof), but come on! IEMs aren't exactly known for having an incredible soundstage (that's what full-size cans are for 
dt880smile.png
).

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #3,589 of 4,413

Quote:
I have not found any downside using the UM3x for casual listening.  I think the demand for sound quality is the same for either application, on stage or personal audio.

I concur.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #3,590 of 4,413
Are they really targeting at musicians on stage with the UM3x? I thought only the customs are. 
confused_face.gif

I think the only downside would be if you don't like IEMs with flat frequency response.

Quote:

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #3,591 of 4,413
Two months into the UM3x i got from the great Music4321 and i do like them a lot.

One strong point that barely gets mentioned is that being a multidriver IEM with non linear impedance it has a very steady distribution of it across the frequency spectrum and clocking at an average of 56 Ohm it helps a lot with the output impedance of the players that drive them.

In one word: they work with headphone outs far better than other multridriver iems. They can work with players that might struggle with many other multidriver iems & customs (e.g. J3). .

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #3,592 of 4,413
I'm a happy owner here of my UM3Xs - easily the best IEMs I have ever owned or heard. Incredibly detailed, remind me a lot of my Beyer full size phones in their presentation. I have spent a lot of time trying to get the right tips and the best seal and have read a lot about it in this thread. I currently have settled on the medium mushroom tips as my choice for now. My search led me to dropping some pretty significant coin ($200) on the custom UM56 (otoblast) tips - which was a lot of money IMO but I felt perhaps the best way to get the most out of these excellent IEMs.

It ended up being a pretty frustrating process. I went to a very reputable audiologist firm in my town. In a nutshell - it may just be me (although I don't think I have any serious oddity to my ear/inner shapes). 4 visits for impressions of both right and left, then left, then right then right again resulted in never getting a proper seal for my UM56s. The left ended up probably being the best and based on that I thought the tips were good - the right just never got a good enough seal for me. Since I was paying $200 bones for tips - I expected near perfection and it never got me there. If you do not get a proper seal with these - they are not worth the money over the stock tip options.

I just thought I'd share for those who are looking for the best tips. 4 visits, 3 week waits in beteween and about 2-1/2 months of frustration all to spend $200...it should somehow be a bit easier I think. Through it all however - Westone was awesome on the customer service end - giving you unlimited re-fits for 90 days and ultimately calling my audiologist and supporting a full refund for me I thought was pretty above and beyond my expectations. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #3,593 of 4,413
The best tips for UM3X are Shure Olives, in my opinion and they don't cost you a leg or arm 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-PA910S-Replacement-SE530PTH-Earphones/dp/B000NDMJVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1307190229&sr=8-2

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #3,594 of 4,413
I'm considering getting a portable amp for my um3x. Would it make a big difference compared to standard headphone out? If yes, What Would be the best amp to use for these. Good quality buy reasonable value.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #3,595 of 4,413

Quote:
I'm considering getting a portable amp for my um3x. Would it make a big difference compared to standard headphone out? If yes, What Would be the best amp to use for these. Good quality buy reasonable value.

I have used different portable amps with UM3X and concluded that the differences are only marginal and I didn't think that difference would justify keeping one. What is your source? If it is something like Cowon players, you certainly don't need an amp as they have an outstanding sound. Some people will think differently but I think you should spend the money on your source and not on the amp when it comes to drive UM3xs, they are very efficient and easy to drive. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #3,596 of 4,413

Quote:
Are they really targeting at musicians on stage with the UM3x? I thought only the customs are. 
confused_face.gif

I think the only downside would be if you don't like IEMs with flat frequency response.

Quote:

Jumping in here, thinking of buying a set of these. Presently have the 535's and the W3's. Both phenominal, but the Shures are a little too bright at times, and actually drown out the highs from excessive mids (although VERY beautiful). But from what I understand these aren't flat right? from what i read, the UM3X is more mid forward, (which is what I want). I'm wondering if these would be better for me than my 535's

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #3,597 of 4,413

I have the SE530 and these. They are neutral leaning on mid centric but definitely not "forward" or anything.  They are quite balanced throughout the spectrum with better bass punch than the Shure and most BA IEMs I've heard. You will probably love them and they would fit in the middle of the Shure and W3 sound sig :)
Quote:
Jumping in here, thinking of buying a set of these. Presently have the 535's and the W3's. Both phenominal, but the Shures are a little too bright at times, and actually drown out the highs from excessive mids (although VERY beautiful). But from what I understand these aren't flat right? from what i read, the UM3X is more mid forward, (which is what I want). I'm wondering if these would be better for me than my 535's

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #3,598 of 4,413

Quote:
I have the SE530 and these. They are neutral leaning on mid centric but definitely not "forward" or anything.  They are quite balanced throughout the spectrum with better bass punch than the Shure and most BA IEMs I've heard. You will probably love them and they would fit in the middle of the Shure and W3 sound sig :)

Thanks Kali, I just left another Question for you on the Sm3 Thread. Cheers

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #3,599 of 4,413
I have used different portable amps with UM3X and concluded that the differences are only marginal and I didn't think that difference would justify keeping one. What is your source? If it is something like Cowon players, you certainly don't need an amp as they have an outstanding sound. Some people will think differently but I think you should spend the money on your source and not on the amp when it comes to drive UM3xs, they are very efficient and easy to drive. 

I'm currently using my iPhone 3GS to play music. Don't intend on getting a seperate player due to inconvenience. I also use my PC. Which seems to be even worse sounding than the iPhone. On this note, would it be better to get a better sound card for my PC or an external dac/amp. Thanks

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #3,600 of 4,413
I wouldn't bother with a amp for the um3x.

I've owned a ray samuels predator. Used it with the um3x with some improvements tho honestly speaking I really bought it for the ES5s that are about to arrive.
I'm currently using a Cypher Labs algorhythm Solo with the ALO RX Mk2 amp and only with this setup do I feel that the quality of the Um3x is bigger by a lot.

All in all, personally I don;t see a real need to use a amp with the Um3x, unless your also going to use the CYpher Labs algorhythm solo.

If anything I would recommend changing ur Mp3 files into WAV Cd rips cause that makes quite a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back