Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 5, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #3,601 of 4,413
I wouldn't bother with a amp for the um3x.

I've owned a ray samuels predator. Used it with the um3x with some improvements tho honestly speaking I really bought it for the ES5s that are about to arrive.
I'm currently using a Cypher Labs algorhythm Solo with the ALO RX Mk2 amp and only with this setup do I feel that the quality of the Um3x is bigger by a lot.

All in all, personally I don;t see a real need to use a amp with the Um3x, unless your also going to use the CYpher Labs algorhythm solo.

If anything I would recommend changing ur Mp3 files into WAV Cd rips cause that makes quite a big difference.

I have some songs saved in lossless but I somehow feel the bass in the um3x not ass strong as I'd like. Could it be because I'm using the tips that came with it? I'm going to change to shure olives tomorrow. Big difference?

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3,602 of 4,413

Quote:
I'm considering getting a portable amp for my um3x. Would it make a big difference compared to standard headphone out? If yes, What Would be the best amp to use for these. Good quality buy reasonable value.

I use a PA2V2 with my UM3X (iPod/iPhone via LOD), and it sounds great to me! 
etysmile.gif
 I've noticed an improvement in two areas: Treble sparkle and bass impact (especially with foam tips). Overall, the sound seems noticeably clearer. YMMV.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #3,603 of 4,413

Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't bother with a amp for the um3x.

I've owned a ray samuels predator. Used it with the um3x with some improvements tho honestly speaking I really bought it for the ES5s that are about to arrive.
I'm currently using a Cypher Labs algorhythm Solo with the ALO RX Mk2 amp and only with this setup do I feel that the quality of the Um3x is bigger by a lot.

All in all, personally I don;t see a real need to use a amp with the Um3x, unless your also going to use the CYpher Labs algorhythm solo.

If anything I would recommend changing ur Mp3 files into WAV Cd rips cause that makes quite a big difference.

I have some songs saved in lossless but I somehow feel the bass in the um3x not ass strong as I'd like. Could it be because I'm using the tips that came with it? I'm going to change to shure olives tomorrow. Big difference?

Funny typo 
biggrin.gif

Amping the UM3X increases the bass impact nicely. However, they are sensitive to amplifier hiss despite their somewhat high impedance.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3,605 of 4,413

Quote:
I see. I guess ill just have to try them out for myself. What tips are you using?

I alternate between the gray silicone tips and the long P-series foamies.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3,606 of 4,413

Quote:
Hey all. I just got my UM3X today. Really happy with it. But would like to check with you guys what the best EQ for these iems are. I know people have different preferences but what would you recommend. Taking into consideration where these iems are lacking etc. Would setting EQ to flat be good enough for all genres? Does flat mean im hearing what the producer wants me to hear? Thanks!

Whatever sound the best to you is right - your the person listening to them after all.

Personly I use no EQ when listening to classical but I do increase the treble a bit and the bass alot with most other music.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #3,607 of 4,413
Hey, just wondering.  Where would be a good place to buy the UM3x?  Cheapest price preferred :D.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3,608 of 4,413

Quote:
Hey, just wondering.  Where would be a good place to buy the UM3x?  Cheapest price preferred :D.

The "For Sale" forum on Head-fi 
biggrin.gif
 That way, you can easily sell them without taking a loss if you don't like them. That's what I did.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #3,610 of 4,413
I agree, I've always bought from earphone solutions and their customer service is top notch...especially with returns.  You might be able to find better prices somewhere else but I'd rather pay more for good service.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #3,611 of 4,413

Quote:
I'm a happy owner here of my UM3Xs - easily the best IEMs I have ever owned or heard. Incredibly detailed, remind me a lot of my Beyer full size phones in their presentation. I have spent a lot of time trying to get the right tips and the best seal and have read a lot about it in this thread. I currently have settled on the medium mushroom tips as my choice for now. My search led me to dropping some pretty significant coin ($200) on the custom UM56 (otoblast) tips - which was a lot of money IMO but I felt perhaps the best way to get the most out of these excellent IEMs.

It ended up being a pretty frustrating process. I went to a very reputable audiologist firm in my town. In a nutshell - it may just be me (although I don't think I have any serious oddity to my ear/inner shapes). 4 visits for impressions of both right and left, then left, then right then right again resulted in never getting a proper seal for my UM56s. The left ended up probably being the best and based on that I thought the tips were good - the right just never got a good enough seal for me. Since I was paying $200 bones for tips - I expected near perfection and it never got me there. If you do not get a proper seal with these - they are not worth the money over the stock tip options.

I just thought I'd share for those who are looking for the best tips. 4 visits, 3 week waits in beteween and about 2-1/2 months of frustration all to spend $200...it should somehow be a bit easier I think. Through it all however - Westone was awesome on the customer service end - giving you unlimited re-fits for 90 days and ultimately calling my audiologist and supporting a full refund for me I thought was pretty above and beyond my expectations. 

Actually, if you google "Radians Custom Molded Earplugs" you'll find that you can get a set for less than $15 - and they will make 2 pairs of 'tips' - I actually made custom sleeves for my UM3x which go all the way around the units - the closest you will get to custom IEMs for basically the cost of a dinner.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #3,612 of 4,413
Im using acs tips with the um3x and the sound is incredible better than the 535 with the same acs tips, it has the same bass and soundstage of the big complys and the detail and clarity of the olives with this combination the um3x should sound pretty close if not the
Same to the es3x. And this comment comes from an user that hates the um3x with the other tips but wow with custom tips the sound of this headphones is awesome.

Enviado desde mi LG-P990 usando Tapatalk

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #3,614 of 4,413

Quote:
This thread kinda died :frowning2: I just ordered a pair from eBay and they will arrive late this week or early next week!! I'm coming from a pair of TF10s which I loved (except for the fit).

well, they are getting old. I'm still hoping they announce UM4's this fall. I got rid of mine and tried some others, still pining away for them though. They are for me the perfect combo of isolation, comfort, durability, and sound signature. I fell pretty nervous about lugging around earphones that expensive though hence the quest for comparable cheaper ones. Good luck with the new pair, you'll love them. almost the antithesis of your TF10's. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #3,615 of 4,413

Quote:
well, they are getting old. I'm still hoping they announce UM4's this fall. I got rid of mine and tried some others, still pining away for them though. They are for me the perfect combo of isolation, comfort, durability, and sound signature. I fell pretty nervous about lugging around earphones that expensive though hence the quest for comparable cheaper ones. Good luck with the new pair, you'll love them. almost the antithesis of your TF10's. 

Aren't we all
biggrin.gif
.  I love my UM3X and have had the RC version since they came out last year.  I got a great deal on a pair of W4 however and will wait and see how these compare
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back