Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #3,631 of 4,413
overtime i realized something about my ears because of the um3x...

my left ear is more oddly shaped T_T

in my right ear, the um3x sits really nicely, on my left though, i noticed doesn't fit quite right. When I look straight in the mirror, i can almost not see the um3x on my right ear anymore but with the left one, it's like it doesn't go in quite as deep as the right one. T_T

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,632 of 4,413

Quote:
overtime i realized something about my ears because of the um3x...

my left ear is more oddly shaped T_T

in my right ear, the um3x sits really nicely, on my left though, i noticed doesn't fit quite right. When I look straight in the mirror, i can almost not see the um3x on my right ear anymore but with the left one, it's like it doesn't go in quite as deep as the right one. T_T

Welcome to my world. Makes isolation in left problematic and my customs fit even more so ( though better than universal). 

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #3,634 of 4,413
Just a thought, have you tried different sized tips ? With IEMS like the MTPC's I need to put a medium on the right and a small on the left. Foams minimize this because they're just filling a void, but anything else ( including double/triple flange) is problematic. Couldn't stand the W3 with its short nozzles for this reason. Isolation became problematic and much less easier to seat than the UM3x. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #3,635 of 4,413
yup i have tried different tips. Currently I'm using the medium grey flex sleeves. Smaller sleeves can be more comfortable but have less desirable sound and less seal as well. It's really really hard to find those olives in my country. I've been to several malls already and they are still nowhere to be found. T_T

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3,636 of 4,413
I don't get the Shure foams locally either. All mailorder. Cheaper that way anyway. Amazon if they ship to your country is an option. Highly recommend those or Comply if you must but they break down more quickly. The yellow Shure foams and possibly even the not so great Etymotic foams should work as well, though admittedly not as well. Problem with any of these is they tend to mute the treble a bit. Great for the W3/TF10 not so great on an already balanced phone

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #3,637 of 4,413
Recabling (with photo), was done by some guy from russian forum:
http://player.ru/showpost.php?p=775525&postcount=28

and for W3:
http://player.ru/showpost.php?p=812391&postcount=31

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,638 of 4,413
Hi All,
  Just got my UM3X, paid $299 from AudioVengence on ebay, thank you for the help with the purchase.

I am having mixed feelings about the UM3X.  They are very comfortable, but they seem to have an unnatural boosted bass SQ.  They work well with Jazz and Classical, but for Rock, the bass seems over boosted.  

Considering returning them, interested if they need burn in, or maybe different tips? Using the foam tips.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #3,639 of 4,413
I've gone thru just about every tip imaginable for these things: Comply, Olives, the tips the UM3X came with, and finally settled on the large Shure mushrooms.  I usually take "medium" but they were too small.  The large envelops my ear opening, don't go too far into the canal (like the Complys or olives did) and are quite comfortable  Don't get tons of bass, but for jazz and classical, the fit and sound is just right.

Was going to buy the Westone 4, but for the money, no one can guarantee the fit issue won't be as problematic as with these UM3X.

Good luck,  For me, it takes LOTS of experimenting and purchasing of tips to get the correct fitting

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #3,640 of 4,413
@musdesign

I found the bass much as well, especially coming from the re0s. But try to give it some time. in my opinion, while the bass is unnaturally boosted, it doesn't affect the mids so after a while, it didn't other me anymore.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #3,641 of 4,413
I just got a "one time" used pair of um3x's on ebay for 250.  Been running them for a few days through my Cowon S9, Macbook - opt - D12 - Topkit specific um3x opamp and buffers, Sansa fuze.  All I can say about the bass is;  The bass comes through when the sound is meant to be bass heavy.  Felt my eardrums vibrate.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #3,642 of 4,413
    Quote:
Hi All,
  Just got my UM3X, paid $299 from AudioVengence on ebay, thank you for the help with the purchase.

I am having mixed feelings about the UM3X.  They are very comfortable, but they seem to have an unnatural boosted bass SQ.  They work well with Jazz and Classical, but for Rock, the bass seems over boosted.  

Considering returning them, interested if they need burn in, or maybe different tips? Using the foam tips.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Was ready to give up on the UM3X then I tried Audio Hijack $32, a Mac recording / equalizer http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/, playing Macbook Pro >Pandora>Audiohighjack>iBasso D4>UM3X = Happy listener !

Anyone else have experience with Audiohighjack?  Seems very cool

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #3,643 of 4,413
i've got that for my mac and the Equ for my phone. 

I don't recall the UM3x being bass heavy, but it's been a while now. Going from Shure mid-centric/forward sound to Westone I became used to and expected that sound. The UM3's sounded a little light in the treble ( rolled off early) , but comfortable in both ergonomics and sound signature for long sessions. That said I don't think they're all that neutral as they are designed as stage monitors. My experience is the "studio" monitor is more flat and even treble heavy ( ER4/RE0), while the "stage" monitor is bass heavy intentionally ( Atrio/UM2/UM3x/sensaphonic) etc. Now that's not what I get from my new SM3 V2, but everyone hears differently. My biggest complaints on the UM3 are the soundstage (again expected and intentional) and the treble response. As others said give them some time. I'm surprised to you that they are bass heavy ,but we all hear differently. Now the Atrio and W3 ARE bass heavy. Good luck with your extended test, sorry for your initial (hopefully) dislike.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #3,644 of 4,413
I would hate to have a bass-heavy IEM, only because my music--jazz and classical--need a more balanced sound signature.  THat said, I find the UM3X coupled with the proper amp and the proper tips are very well balanced.  Keep in mind that good sound is a combination of amp, DAC and IEM.  THey all play and interact together.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #3,645 of 4,413
Agree! um3x is a very flexible iem with great potential. It just takes a bit of time to find something that can really match your music preference and Um3x. 

Quote:
I would hate to have a bass-heavy IEM, only because my music--jazz and classical--need a more balanced sound signature.  THat said, I find the UM3X coupled with the proper amp and the proper tips are very well balanced.  Keep in mind that good sound is a combination of amp, DAC and IEM.  THey all play and interact together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back