Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3,661 of 4,413

Quote:
Thats probably because you haven't tried the bigger one. I tried the M size and it sounds like trash. I couldn't beleive my ears when I tried the L size ones. They're longer, they penetrate the whole ear canal, almost like a custom tip does. Totally different IEM (believe me, the silicon tips sucks here). Give them a try and let me know the results :wink:

Yeah, the long/thin complys work really well.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #3,662 of 4,413
I also have a fantastic treble (quantity and quality) with the longer Complys. Same treble quantity as W3 or SM3. Would love to try the um56's though. When I have the patience to go to an audiologist and all that stuff. For now I'm very happy with the Complys (the long and thin ones). Very impressive results compared to all the silicon tips I got (some from Phonak, others from Fischer Audio, others from the W3 and SM3, etc).

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #3,663 of 4,413
hey miow, i just tried the large complys and now i remember why i never use it anymore, because i cant get a comfortable fit with it. but from the 2 minute usage of it, the treble is good but i still think the bass is slightly better on the Black Olives. Anyhow it was good to try it again.

Quote:
I also have a fantastic treble (quantity and quality) with the longer Complys. Same treble quantity as W3 or SM3. Would love to try the um56's though. When I have the patience to go to an audiologist and all that stuff. For now I'm very happy with the Complys (L size). Very impressive results compared to all the silicon tips I got (some from Phonak, others from Fischer Audio, others from the W3 and SM3, etc).

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #3,664 of 4,413

Quote:
Are you *shure* about that? :D

Very Shure. 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #3,666 of 4,413
Can anyone compare the sound of the UM3x with the Audio Technica ES7? I am just interested because I've owned the ES7 for over 2.5 years and I love them--however, I was considering the UM3x's because they are smaller and more convenient for travel.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #3,668 of 4,413

Quote:
Can anyone compare the sound of the UM3x with the Audio Technica ES7? I am just interested because I've owned the ES7 for over 2.5 years and I love them--however, I was considering the UM3x's because they are smaller and more convenient for travel.

I think there is no comparison since they are headphones. But no, theres no way they can compete with the UM3X in terms of sound quality, instrument separation, etc.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #3,670 of 4,413

Quote:
hey miow, i just tried the large complys and now i remember why i never use it anymore, because i cant get a comfortable fit with it. but from the 2 minute usage of it, the treble is good but i still think the bass is slightly better on the Black Olives. Anyhow it was good to try it again.

Well, you are making me buy the Black Olives. I think I was wrong about the large complys anyways. I just figured that they are the medium ones from the P-Series. The long/thin ones. Have you tried those?

P.S. But don't you lose on bass with the Olives? The long/thin Complys give me a full bodied sound that I prefer over any silicon tip I got here.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #3,671 of 4,413
My Shure Olives arrived on Thursday (ordered from Earphone Solutions: http://www.earphonesolutions.com/acforallwemo.html) and I have to agree 100% with eclipes's assessment.  It's highly unlikely you'll be unhappy with their performance, but it's only a few bucks.  Plus they don't appear to get as cruddy and dirty as the Complys so the 5 sets you order will last you a while longer.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3,672 of 4,413
I have just received my pair of UM3X and I am sort of at a crossroad at the moment since this thing hiss so much it actually drives me crazy.  

And I know it is not a headphone defect or anything, since it play beautifully if I am at home with my desktop setup.  So I want to know if there are any equipment suggestion (like a dac/amp) so I can also use the headphone in my office.  Was considering a DAP but then the amount of time I spend travelling is so little it may not be the best solution.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #3,673 of 4,413
It's not the headphones, it the source.  They are very sensitive headphones so if your source is not very good they will hiss.  I would recommend looking at a company like NuForce for a dedicated DAC/Amp combo.  You may even want to consider a nice portable/DAC/Amp combo like the Pico or the Practical Devices XM6 so you can use it with your desktop setup or a nice DAC (like a Cowon J3, D3, iPod Touch, Classic or the like).

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #3,674 of 4,413
I really don't need anything to 'add' to my desktop setup as I go glow amp ->k701 and my plan wasn't to use the UM3X at home anyway.  I just wanted to test if it was a problem with my headphone, and of course... it is not.

edit: Does a sound card like xonar essence do the job?  I am sure the IT guys won't mind me fitting it into my office computer.

edit2: Actually, if it is something like the udac2, then it is basically the same price as the hifiman EF2, how do they compare as a standalone unit?  

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #3,675 of 4,413
I think i have and it was the same, its sound was just thin, really thin to me. I preferred the olives much due to the better isolation, definitely more bass, and it is the Olives that gives the better full body sound. I think i've messed with these comply, silicon whatever westone came with for around half a year before i decided to pack them and just full on use Olives only. And i brought it back out again yesterday and the impression was the exact same, just not the right sound for me. Plus complys are pretty expensive to keep up with, depending on usage, they last around a month or so, but olives can definitely hold up to a minimum of 2 months. Order a few and try it out, I can guarantee you that you will throw those complys haha.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Well, you are making me buy the Black Olives. I think I was wrong about the large complys anyways. I just figured that they are the medium ones from the P-Series. The long/thin ones. Have you tried those?

P.S. But don't you lose on bass with the Olives? The long/thin Complys give me a full bodied sound that I prefer over any silicon tip I got here.

yeah, since they're black, they look and last longer. I am still using my box of 10s, they are extremely durable. I am pretty much set on olives for my universals, unless its customs.

Quote:
My Shure Olives arrived on Thursday (ordered from Earphone Solutions: http://www.earphonesolutions.com/acforallwemo.html) and I have to agree 100% with eclipes's assessment.  It's highly unlikely you'll be unhappy with their performance, but it's only a few bucks.  Plus they don't appear to get as cruddy and dirty as the Complys so the 5 sets you order will last you a while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back