Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3,678 of 4,413
I was curious about a comparison of SM3 vs UM3X and that said it all. Instrument separation is unbeatable, mids are superb. The UM3X seems more involving to me. Though SM3 are a superb work of engineering. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, it's extremely difficult to say which is the best. One thing is for sure: whatever you choose, you won't regret. They're both state of the art monitors.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #3,679 of 4,413
What kind of music should I test these UM3Xs with, for clarity purposes? I've tried various post-rock albums and so far the only that's changed is the soundstage, bass might have a lighter tone to it but it's very acceptable considering I was using bass+ components on my SA6.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #3,680 of 4,413
how about male/female vocals? those seem to work really well with my um3x.

Quote:
What kind of music should I test these UM3Xs with, for clarity purposes? I've tried various post-rock albums and so far the only that's changed is the soundstage, bass might have a lighter tone to it but it's very acceptable considering I was using bass+ components on my SA6.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3,681 of 4,413
go for a live performance or acoustic performance :) i can hear the sliding of the fingers on the guitar strings a lot clearer or the singer taking a breath. In paramore's misguided ghosts I can hear hayley take a breath in 17-18 mark :p it's one of the songs I first listened to that really made me appreciate the UM3X. 

Quote:

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #3,682 of 4,413
+1 for live performance / concerts. I love listening to rock concerts, you can hear every instrument individually. Plucking guitar strings to singers breathing, the SQ will scare you for sure.

Quote:
go for a live performance or acoustic performance :) i can hear the sliding of the fingers on the guitar strings a lot clearer or the singer taking a breath. In paramore's misguided ghosts I can hear hayley take a breath in 17-18 mark :p it's one of the songs I first listened to that really made me appreciate the UM3X. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #3,685 of 4,413
Um the IEM itself, i dont think so. But if you change the cable, there is going to be a difference.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I heard there are differences in sound quality from the UM3X to the UM3X RC. Is this true?!

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3,690 of 4,413
Probably more comfort than anything else.  The Westone's in particular already have heavy duty longated strain releifs coming off the housing that naturally flow back behind your ears.  The RC version goes upwards, then you need to work the memory wire then back behind your ears so it is not quite as comfortable IMHO.  In addition, if you wrap or tuck the IEM's away when going from place to place, the memory wire tends to lose memory which causes the need for a re-adjustment every time you pull them out.

Given a 2-year warranty, I will always prefer built in fixed cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back