Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #3,646 of 4,413
I received my UM3X RCs this morning and like every good Head-Fi'er, I have been listening to them all day.  So far I can say that I am very pleased with their performance, but I have been trying to find my musical Nirvana by way of the perfect tip combination.

Long story, short I found Nirvana with the Sony Hybrid tips.  Like most Comply tips the sound was too dark and veiled in the highs.  Bear in mind that my source is an iPod Touch and an Arrow 12HE (which is a little dark in its own right).  I tried the stock "olives" and they were all crap.  Too tinny and not a very good seal for my overly-voluminous ear canals.  The tri-flanges always feel like I'm getting an inner ear exam so those were out.  

I next tried a non-OEM alternative in the Etymotic foamies and they gave me the best seal of the bunch.  Like the Complys, their signature leaned towards the dark-ish side as well.  Last but not least, I butchered a set of size small Comply T-100s so I could remove the rubber center (knowing I would never use the small T-100s).  My two new micro-phalluses crafted from a pair of donor T-100s were the perfect shim for mounting a set of Sony Hybrids onto the UM3X.  The end result was a great seal and a subtle V-shaped signature, which was exactly what I was looking for.  I haven't lost much of the bass presence that the Complys are so well known for and the highs are no longer veiled.  There is a slight recess to the mids, but only in volume, not detail.

As I get more accustomed to these IEMs my taste may change, leading me to once again find the perfect ear tip, but for now I'm very pleased.

Ok, the photo...

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3,647 of 4,413
Hi everyone,

What I need to know is this:

1. Is the treble of the UM3X more realistic than the Westone 3's? (I don't think cymbals are as realistic as with the SM3)

2. Do the UM3X have better instrument separation than the Westone 3's? How much? Just a tiny bit or you can really tell you can hear instruments and sounds you never heard before with the W3? (I feel the W3's a bit congested on Metal. However they never seem congested on Jazz and I can hear every instrument relatively clear. But not on Metal - anyways, they're awesome in this genre, I'm just being too demanding)

3. Do they have more detail and clarity than the Westone 3?

4. Is the bass sufficient for a "moderated" bass-head?

5. Do they benefit from an amp?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #3,648 of 4,413
I think treble is a bit rolled off on UM3X.  I prefer W3.

UM3X certainly has better instrument separation but overall soundstage is larger for W3 making it more musical sounding to my ears.

I think detail and clarity is slightly better with W3.  It is crisper without being fatiguing.  UM3X seems tuned to emphasize mid and lower register where W3 represents upper and lower pretty equally.

Bass on both is quite adequate but W3 has a bit more.

I did not find that an amp improved either all that much but this could depend on amp and synergy.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3,649 of 4,413
Quote:
Hi everyone,

What I want to know is this:

1. Is the treble of the UM3X more realistic than the Westone 3's? (I don't think cymbals are as realistic as with the SM3)

2. Do the UM3X have better instrument seperation than the Westone 3's? How much? Just a tiny bit or you can really tell you can hear instruments and sounds you never heard before with the W3? (I feel the W3's a bit congested on Metal. However they never seem congested on Jazz and I can hear every instrument relatively clear. But not on Metal - anyways, they're awesome in this genre, I'm just being too demanding)

3. Do they have more detail and clarity than the Westone 3?

4. Is the bass sufficient for a "moderated" bass-head?

5. Do they benefit from an amp?

Thanks in advance.

1. I'd say so, yes. More detailed and extended, though softer in nature, without the edginess and the energy of the W3.

2. I think they're clearly ahead in terms of separation and layering of tracks, that's exactly what they're known for.

3. A bit more detail (due to the separation and layering), but a bit less clarity in the mids, because they're simply denser and with more body than those of the W3.

4. Similar to those of the SM3.

5. Don't know.

PS: I wouldn't call them an upgrade on the SM3 you have on your sig.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #3,650 of 4,413
Thanks a tone, guys. That responds to my doubts, except that both of you share different opinions. A third one would be welcome. This won't be an upgrade to the SM3 at all. Different purposes. These are to use on stage. Well, they're on their way, think I'll receive them on Friday. Then I can tell you the differences to the W3 I had and to the SM3 I own.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #3,652 of 4,413
it will sound decent for sure. Not too worry, and i think you will be pleased with the sound. But I recommend using a J3 as dap or adding a small amp with your ipod. Some find a difference, some don't. Anyhow, um3x isn't that picky at all, it can pair well with most things.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how the UM3X's sound with a 5.5 generation ipod, unamped? I am planning on buying a pair of IEMs and I want to pair it with my ipod.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #3,653 of 4,413
Hello!

Source: Cowon J3
Equalizer: No (Normal Setting)
Tips: Comply Foam

1 - I think that UM3X is a kind of ER4S version for portable devices. They are sort of cousins;
2 - Very balanced and natural sound, with a touch of a wonderfull bass;
3 - The mids of W3 are recessed; UM3X have correct or a little forwarded mids;
4 - The W3 has a softer sound. The UM3X is more energetic, has a more engaged sound;
5 - The UM3X works perfectly well with any portable device. An amplifier can spoil your sound;
6 - The soundstage in UM3X is perfect, showing exactly what was recorded. The W3 have a largest soundstage, however, is the headphone that introduces this bigger soundstage. It is definitely an artificial soundstage that makes the sound softer than UM3X;
7 - After testing various headphones (Shure SE 420 and 530, Ety E4P and S, W3, RE0, DBA02, etc.), the UM3X is by far my favorite headphone. He is not perfect, however, it is very, very close to the sound that I like;
8 - I´m looking forward to the release of Westone UM4X ... : o)

Cheers,

Peter

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #3,654 of 4,413
+1 right on about the strengths of um3x

Quote:
Hello!

Source: Cowon J3
Equalizer: No (Normal Setting)
Tips: Comply Foam

1 - I think that UM3X is a kind of ER4S version for portable devices. They are sort of cousins;
2 - Very balanced and natural sound, with a touch of a wonderfull bass;
3 - The mids of W3 are recessed; UM3X have correct or a little forwarded mids;
4 - The W3 has a softer sound. The UM3X is more energetic, has a more engaged sound;
5 - The UM3X works perfectly well with any portable device. An amplifier can spoil your sound;
6 - The soundstage in UM3X is perfect, showing exactly what was recorded. The W3 have a largest soundstage, however, is the headphone that introduces this bigger soundstage. It is definitely an artificial soundstage that makes the sound softer than UM3X;
7 - After testing various headphones (Shure SE 420 and 530, Ety E4P and S, W3, RE0, DBA02, etc.), the UM3X is by far my favorite headphone. He is not perfect, however, it is very, very close to the sound that I like;
8 - I´m looking forward to the release of Westone UM4X ... : o)

Cheers,

Peter

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #3,655 of 4,413
My UM3X arrived today. Well, I'm WOWed. They are ALL I was expecting from an high-end IEM aimed for professional monitoring. They just show their full potential with the longer/thin Comply tips (P-Series). They give a very deep seal. Instrument separation is STAGGERING. I can hear layers, instruments and sounds I never heard with so much definition with the W3 (and even the SM3). On Metal, the W3 many times sounded congested. Never happens with the UM3X. Highs are super realistic and detailed, with great extension and a very nice sparkle (only with the longer/thin comply tips). I think they outperform the SM3's. Vocals are lush and sweet, almost liquid. Bass (with the long/thin Complys - P_series) is STRONGER than the W3's. More quantity (same as SM3). Quality wise, it is much better than the W3. Other league. Impressive definition. Bass guitar, slap, etc, sound so real and engaging. They also have a great sub-bass. Cymbals and percussion instruments are so close to the real thing that I feel that they are performing live in front of me. Imaging is impressive too. Despite all this definition/layering/pure, crystal clear highs, they're not fatiguing at all.

Just my first impressions, I can elaborate more later. I have just 6 hours listening on them (but I'm liking them more than the SM3's).

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #3,656 of 4,413
try the shure black olives, it will WOW you even more.

Quote:
My UM3X arrived today. Well, I'm WOWed. They are ALL I was expecting from an high-end IEM aimed for professional monitoring. They just show their full potential with the bigger Comply tips. They give a very deep seal. Instrument separation is STAGGERING. I can hear layers, instruments and sounds I never heard with so much definition with the W3 (and even the SM3). On Metal, the W3 many times sounded congested. Never happens with the UM3X. Highs are super realistic and detailed, with great extension and a very nice sparkle (only with the big comply tips). I think they outperform the SM3's. Vocals are lush and sweet, almost liquid. Bass (with the big Complys) is STRONGER than the W3's. More quantity (same as SM3). Quality wise, it is much better than the W3. Other league. Impressive definition. Bass guitar, slap, etc, sound so real and engaging. They also have a great sub-bass. Cymbals and percussion instruments are so close to the real thing that I feel that they are performing live in front of me. Imaging is impressive too. Despite all this definition/layering/pure, crystal clear highs, they're not fatiguing at all.

Just my first impressions, I can elaborate more later. I have just 6 hours listening on them (but I'm liking them more than the SM3's).

P.S. With regards to the so many members saying that W3 has more upfront and energetic treble than the UM3X, well, you're using the wrong tips. Try the bigger Complys (insert them deeply in the ear canal) and you'll see what treble is.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #3,659 of 4,413
Thats probably because you haven't tried the bigger one. I tried the shorter one and it sounds like crap. I couldn't beleive my ears when I tried the P-Series ones (the longer/thin)). They're longer, they penetrate the whole ear canal, almost like a custom tip does. Totally different IEM (believe me, the silicon tips sucks here). Give them a try and let me know the results :wink:

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #3,660 of 4,413
I use the um56 tips with a small dot of oto-gel.  For the money on tips people tend to spend through their usage of the iem's it's the same cost.  The treble to me is fantastic with this combo, and it's still got the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back