Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 6, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #2,566 of 4,413
Today i bought two different pairs of Shure Olive (medium) and Shure Grey Bullet tips for my UM3x. The Shure Olive just give me the best sound out of the rest of the tips i own.
The Bullet Tips are great too and they are more durable !

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #2,567 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't trust the AMP3 though.

AMP3 has very good sound quality but it is no good with the UM3X (or any other even half sensitive headphone), it is way too noisy, almost as bad as a bad laptop computer. The best sound I've had from it out of all my phones is with the ER4-S and even then there is some audible noise in quiet passages and between tracks. The noise is supposed to diminish with burn-in (they say 50% after 500 hours) so I'm burning mine in now.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2,568 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today i bought two different pairs of Shure Olive (medium) and Shure Grey Bullet tips for my UM3x. The Shure Olive just give me the best sound out of the rest of the tips i own.

I have the same experience on the Shure Olive, but the UM56 kills it by the mile...

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #2,569 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same experience on the Shure Olive, but the UM56 kills it by the mile...

i remember the maxim of head-fi....
devil_face.gif

btw, the UM3x + Olive plays SRV very well...

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #2,570 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what are grey bullet tips? is that the soft flex silicone?

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #2,571 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are grey bullet tips? is that the soft flex silicone?

shure-earphones.jpg

should be this one, sorry i dunno the exact name of this
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #2,572 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by tigon_ridge
"I respectfully disagree. This thread ought to serve as an informative thread, not just an "appreciation" thread as its title dictates. Thus, I welcome all critical comments, just as long as they are backed up with some substantial descriptions, rather than just "dead" or "dull" - likewise, when people praise these phones; although, I don't really mind these vague descriptions at all. I just don't give them much, if any, consideration."

Although I do wonder how specific one's descriptions must be to satisfy tygon_ridge's requirements. This is a public forum, not a rarified academic discussion. We are attempting to convey our experiences of a shared interest with others. Sometimes we might endeavour to provide very specific descriptions and at other times not. These discussions can range from uninformed to knowledgeable, general to technical, moderate to extreme, clumsy to eloquent and naff to almost profound.

I find tygon_ridge's expectations a little unrealistic and a tad condescending. Frankly, I think he should keep his critiques about how people choose to express themselves in their posts to himself. I certainly don't post here in the hope of meeting the minimum standard that warrants his consideration.

There is also a common language and glossary of terms that are in regular use throughout the forum threads. Many of these terms are analogous and imprecise in nature. These are open to varying interpretation but by and large, most people seem to get the gist.

Are the examples of vague descriptions that tygon_ridge cites indicative of the stringent standards that he applies to the use of descriptive language or does it suggest a level of obtuseness on his part?

You misunderstood my intended message by such a wide margin I don't even know where to start. To address your accusations, which I bolded:

"I find tygon_ridge's expectations a little unrealistic and a tad condescending."

I specifically said that I do not mind any posted impressions of any products on these boards. I said that these are no my standards, but rather, anyone would understand that when people go into these forums looking for clues as to which very expensive audio purchase to make next, they'd naturally give more weight to the opinions that are more descriptive. That doesn't mean that the less descriptive opinions don't deserve to have their place on these forums, nor that the people who post them are somehow doing a disservice to others.

"stringent standards"

I said before, but since you somehow missed it, I'll repeat: I have no problem with anything you post about the UM3X or whatnot. All I did was ask you to specify some specific differences that you heard. Now, being the incredibly wise and mature person that you seem to be, you somehow reacted by giving, in your own words, a "stern lecture." Now, who's "condescending?"

"his critiques about how people choose to express themselves in their posts to himself"

My critiques? All I said was that the less descriptive posts are cool and all, but that the more descriptive posts are even better. Mind explaining why you think this is a critique?

Please be advised: Although I do not intend to create distractions and arguments in this thread, I will not sit still while you slander me with baseless accusations. I believe my messages were very clear, and quite frankly, common sense. I do not see them as critiques of how anyone posts their opinions. I only described their relative values. I never said that your statements about the UM3X bear no value, but you yourself must admit: if you were a head-fier wandering the threads looking for information about these IEMs, you probably give much more consideration to opinions that are built upon solid concrete observations. Concrete descriptions is where we head-fiers get the most value. I've read some great posts, many of which even have determined where I'm leaning towards in my future purchase decisions. The lesser-detailed posts like your own, also intrigue me at best; and intrigued me they did, which was why I wanted to know more, which was why I asked you for a simple comparison that shouldn't take more than 2 minutes of your time - imagine my surprise when my request for your further (respected) opinions was met with something like "haven't you already read enough? go get yourself some iem's already."

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2,573 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i empathize with your frustration.

there are obviously valid criticisms which can be made of the UM3X (and just about any other can out there). specifically, i can understand why someone would think:
  1. the treble is slightly recessed (it is, but it's only apparent on warmer recordings and sources)
  2. the soundstage is too narrow (it is narrow, but it's there... this is a matter of taste)
  3. the bass isn't powerful enough (this is a function of lots of people wanting artificially boosted bass)

i think, and this is just educated speculation on my part, the last point is where the "dull" and "lifeless" comments from. there are a lot of people who like big bass, whether it's really there or not. most consumer audio products these days is tweaked to make the bass bigger: from recording and mastering to speakers. there's nothing wrong with this, but it's not an accurate presentation of music.

i personally find the UM3X really fun, engaging and groovy, especially when amped. i think the bass is really tight with good slam for an IEM, and there's no way i'd want it any louder or more emphasized. but that's just my taste; overdone bass is just not my thing.

i can totally understand why the UM3X isn't everyone's cup of tea, and this is my translation of what some of the general criticisms are supposed to mean.

erm i hope you arent suggesting those reasons are why i made dull and lifeless comments (actually i usually refer to it as a dead sound)

for me it has more than enough bass, too much really they can make a very "lively" sound but they always have a dark, deadness to them. everything is precise but there is no decay on anything that gives the impression of air and life. hence why ive said it fools like being in an acoustic chamber as no sound lingers in anyway.

in particular i feel the treble has to hard an attack and no delicate decay like it should and no real extension either. it feels digital, its there then its gone and thats just unnatural. i have similar issue with the tf10 too. nether are bad but neither are they perfect and of course the 530 gets around the treble issue by rolling it off early so you cant really hear its failings unless you eq it back in.

really my biggest issue with the um3x the hype i feel it gets claiming its perfect when it just isnt. it is generally excellent and deserves to be seated at the top table and for some it will be the best option. it is the most even or best compromise on the top tier but in no way shape or form is it "better" than the others. its not got better treble than the tf10, it doesnt have better mids than the 530 and it doest have better bass than the ie8.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #2,575 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You misunderstood my intended message by such a wide margin I don't even know where to start. To address your accusations, which I bolded:

"I find tygon_ridge's expectations a little unrealistic and a tad condescending."

I specifically said that I do not mind any posted impressions of any products on these boards. I said that these are no my standards, but rather, anyone would understand that when people go into these forums looking for clues as to which very expensive audio purchase to make next, they'd naturally give more weight to the opinions that are more descriptive. That doesn't mean that the less descriptive opinions don't deserve to have their place on these forums, nor that the people who post them are somehow doing a disservice to others.

"stringent standards"

I said before, but since you somehow missed it, I'll repeat: I have no problem with anything you post about the UM3X or whatnot. All I did was ask you to specify some specific differences that you heard. Now, being the incredibly wise and mature person that you seem to be, you somehow reacted by giving, in your own words, a "stern lecture." Now, who's "condescending?"

"his critiques about how people choose to express themselves in their posts to himself"

My critiques? All I said was that the less descriptive posts are cool and all, but that the more descriptive posts are even better. Mind explaining why you think this is a critique?

Please be advised: Although I do not intend to create distractions and arguments in this thread, I will not sit still while you slander me with baseless accusations. I believe my messages were very clear, and quite frankly, common sense. I do not see them as critiques of how anyone posts their opinions. I only described their relative values. I never said that your statements about the UM3X bear no value, but you yourself must admit: if you were a head-fier wandering the threads looking for information about these IEMs, you probably give much more consideration to opinions that are built upon solid concrete observations. Concrete descriptions is where we head-fiers get the most value. I've read some great posts, many of which even have determined where I'm leaning towards in my future purchase decisions. The lesser-detailed posts like your own, also intrigue me at best; and intrigued me they did, which was why I wanted to know more, which was why I asked you for a simple comparison that shouldn't take more than 2 minutes of your time - imagine my surprise when my request for your further (respected) opinions was met with something like "haven't you already read enough? go get yourself some iem's already."

Take it easy, the great majority of owners find the UM3X to be perfectly fantastic IEMs. A few don't, but unfortunately they seem to be dominating this thread more and more.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #2,576 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm i hope you arent suggesting those reasons are why i made dull and lifeless comments (actually i usually refer to it as a dead sound)

for me it has more than enough bass, too much really they can make a very "lively" sound but they always have a dark, deadness to them. everything is precise but there is no decay on anything that gives the impression of air and life. hence why ive said it fools like being in an acoustic chamber as no sound lingers in anyway.

in particular i feel the treble has to hard an attack and no delicate decay like it should and no real extension either. it feels digital, its there then its gone and thats just unnatural. i have similar issue with the tf10 too. nether are bad but neither are they perfect and of course the 530 gets around the treble issue by rolling it off early so you cant really hear its failings unless you eq it back in.

really my biggest issue with the um3x the hype i feel it gets claiming its perfect when it just isnt. it is generally excellent and deserves to be seated at the top table and for some it will be the best option. it is the most even or best compromise on the top tier but in no way shape or form is it "better" than the others. its not got better treble than the tf10, it doesnt have better mids than the 530 and it doest have better bass than the ie8.

Hey, Mark, this is exactly what I was talking about!
wink_face.gif
Thanks for taking your time to elaborate on what you meant by "dead," and the UM3X not putting a grin on your face. It's these kinds of posts that I find very helpful and interesting. I don't know if you had already posted these details. If you did, sorry that I missed them!

"its not got better treble than the tf10, it doesnt have better mids than the 530 and it doest have better bass than the ie8."

This is very interesting. HeadphoneAddict felt that his ES3X was considerably better than his custom-shelled se530. I wonder if, HPA, do you find the mids of the ES3X less appealing than that of your custom se530? Also, it's intriguing that HPA described his ES3X's bass as being better than his sr-007, while you feel that the IE8's bass sounds better than the UM3X bass. Hmm...

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #2,577 of 4,413
Got mine yesterday, these are AMAZING. While I do miss how low the bass went on the X10s, these improve everywhere else, except maybe soundstage which seems to be a bit smaller, though it's not too much to worry about.

I'm sure it'll all improve with more listening too.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #2,578 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not aimed at you or anyone in particular, i was simply trying to help the poster decode generalized comments... and certainly not meant to be insulting.

Quote:

so for you the lifelessness comes in the UM3X's overfast treble decay? the upper register notes sort of clip off rather than hanging in the air? i can certainly understand that.

i had all sorts of issues until i got the fit and the tips just right, but i can certainly see it remaining an issue even with a good fit. unamped, i still feel the need to occasionally EQ the treble up a bit... which i find can really help the UM3X feel more open, or lively. the best solution is an amp, which makes the most difference, and raises the UM3X to another level.

Quote:

really my biggest issue with the um3x the hype i feel it gets claiming its perfect when it just isnt. it is generally excellent and deserves to be seated at the top table and for some it will be the best option.

i agree that it's not perfect, and that no IEM is. but i haven't really seen anyone here hype up the UM3X unreasonably. in fact, it seems to me that it has more than its fair share of vocal detractors. and most of the UM3X fans seem to be pretty willing to admit to its shortcomings.

Quote:

it is the most even or best compromise on the top tier but in no way shape or form is it "better" than the others. its not got better treble than the tf10, it doesnt have better mids than the 530 and it doest have better bass than the ie8.

but for some people, all these are true. some hear the TF10 as sibilant, some think the 530's vocals are too recessed and some people think the bass on the IE8 is bloated. for those people, their statements of superiority are valid.

some people look for balance... like me. and the UM3X brings that to the table better than the other IEMs I've tried. but like you and most others have said, they're not perfect.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #2,579 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take it easy, the great majority of owners find the UM3X to be perfectly fantastic IEMs. A few don't, but unfortunately they seem to be dominating this thread more and more.

This does not bug me at all.
normal_smile .gif
Let the dissatisfied customers voice their thoughts.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2,580 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Mark, this is exactly what I was talking about!
wink_face.gif
Thanks for taking your time to elaborate on what you meant by "dead," and the UM3X not putting a grin on your face. It's these kinds of posts that I find very helpful and interesting. I don't know if you had already posted these details. If you did, sorry that I missed them!

"its not got better treble than the tf10, it doesnt have better mids than the 530 and it doest have better bass than the ie8."

This is very interesting. HeadphoneAddict felt that his ES3X was considerably better than his custom-shelled se530. I wonder if, HPA, do you find the mids of the ES3X less appealing than that of your custom se530? Also, it's intriguing that HPA described his ES3X's bass as being better than his sr-007, while you feel that the IE8's bass sounds better than the UM3X bass. Hmm...

well i had said all that long ago i think was around page 100ish, i did say i had been more detailed earlier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back