Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2,536 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ipondy
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you finally managed to get your hands on the UM3X and hear them for yourself. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much research you do beforehand, or how big the percentage is of people who love them, you can't know what they're like until they're in your own ears. It seems like you felt the same way about them as I did, ie; there was nothing actually 'wrong' with them, you just didn't warm to the sound signature or get drawn in by them. Have to say I found the impressions of most other owners to be pretty accurate, but of course I couldn't predict if I would like the presentation until I actually heard them. I didn't adjust to the smaller soundstage and I always found the vocals a little in my face. Anyway, each to his/her own... at least your curiosity has been sated for the time being
ksc75smile.gif

Hi soozieq,

I've just given tygon ridge a stern lecture along similar lines. Yes my curiosity about the UM3X's has ended. But not my curiosity per se. There is another.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2,537 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S4 simply will not hit that low, it's a BS frequency response marketing gimmick. Dynamics are more visceral than balanced armatures by nature; the only IEMs that I've heard that deliver comparable visceral, tactile feel in bass is the JH13.

I do hear/feel more down at the bottom with the S4 than I do with the UM3x -- is that what you mean when you say "dynamics are more visceral than balanced armatures by nature" -- or is there something I should tweak about how I'm using the UM3x? (ie, any particular tips? should the tip be deep in the ear, or not so deep?)

Thanks again.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #2,538 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do hear/feel more down at the bottom with the S4 than I do with the UM3x -- is that what you mean when you say "dynamics are more visceral than balanced armatures by nature" -- or is there something I should tweak about how I'm using the UM3x? (ie, any particular tips? should the tip be deep in the ear, or not so deep?)

Thanks again.

poking around, it looks like my suspicions were correct: the sound signature of the S4 is known to have seriously boosted bass response. that's what you're hearing.

the UM3X doesn't... so you won't get that same sound unless you EQ it.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #2,539 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you insist, you can get the Shure or UE flight adapters which can add impedance (and remove varying amounts of sound quality, not that you'd notice coming out of a laptop) or the Ety P->S adapter which is a resistor cable.

You mean the Shure EA650 ($14.99):
Shure - Attachable Volume Control

Or the Etymotic ER4P-24 ($65):
Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•4 Accessories

Do they behave differently? It seems the Shure EA650 is lots cheaper and provides a variable control -- is there some benefit to the Etymotic ER4P-24 that makes it so pricey?

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #2,540 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only possible reason I could imagine a person not caring for the UM3X (because I find it so damn perfect in so many criteria) is the closed in small'ish soundstage which is normal for a monitor-type IEM.
It does not really bother me but I can certainly see someone wanting a much larger soundstage...a more headphone'ish and that is what W3 was made for....but that darn monster sized mid-bass hump!

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post or not Spyro but no, the smallish soundstage wasn't the only reason for me not caring for the UM3X. I was prepared for that. But there were other traits in its sound signature that caused me to feel underwhelmed.

However, I'm aware that this is an appreciation thread so I really don't want to appear overly critical of these phones, but if pressed for a one word description, it would probably be dull.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #2,541 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey tigon ridge,

Are you still trying to make up your mind? And I thought I was indecisive!

There's more than enough descriptive commentary about the sound signature of the UM3X in this thread for you to pour over (again). The UM3X v SE530 thread has some illuminating comparative posts if that's what you're after.

You've been frequenting these threads for quite some time now and you have asked many questions and participated in numerous discussions. But if you really are interested in acquiring an IEM, my advice to you is to back your own judgement, hunch, intuition, call it what you will and try and audition the ones that you are interested in. Or bite the bullet based on the extensive information and impressions that you have gathered and digested from these forum threads and elsewhere, and purchase the one that "speaks" to you.

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious but it really is the only way you'll know.

Indeed, I've been around and reading a lot. There are several "extensive information and impressions" in these forums, but quite frankly, the really detailed ones are still somewhat number in the few. A good portion of these impressions seem like, imo, vague, with descriptions like "they just don't make me grin," "not engaging," "colored," "balanced," "immersive," etc...which I find less useful than those who really elaborate on their statements with concrete descriptions, which is what that makes these forums so helpful, fun and educating. Don't get me wrong, you're not obligated at all to do what I requested (which, let's be honest, isn't much to ask for - some would be happy to help in such way, HeadphoneAddict to name just one).

Yes, I would love to sample all the universal IEMs I'm interested in. Just wish I could accept all the restocking fees that would quickly pile up... if they're even returnable.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #2,542 of 4,413
tigon_ridge,

I'm not sure if I have the facility for language to provide you with a precise enough description of my listening experience that would meet your exacting standards.

How about trying one IEM for a start?

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #2,543 of 4,413
Quote:

tigon_ridge,

I'm not sure if I have the facility for language to provide you with a precise enough description of my listening experience that would meet your exacting standards.

How about trying one IEM for a start?

Not my standards. Just something that I think would be helpful to everyone.

"How about trying one IEM for a start?"

I'll give the UM3X a listen someday. Trust me, I'm very patient.
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #2,544 of 4,413
Quote:

However, I just don't find them engaging to listen to. There's just something lacking when I listen to these phones. I genuinely wanted to be impressed with them but I found their sound signature rather flat. I did persist but whenever I switched back to the SE530’s I just enjoyed them far more. I guess I lean towards more coloured sounding phones because I prefer the way that both the SE530's and the IE8's render the music that I like to listen to. These phones immerse me in the music in ways that the UM3X's don't, and I doubt that they ever will.

I suspect that the UM3X's would respond very well to amping, but as I have no wish to amp my IEMs, then its important that they should sound good coming straight from the source. I don’t feel a need to amp either the SE530 or the IE8.

see i told you they have that dead sound to them and ive not found amping them removes that. not that they sound bad just like your in an acoustic chamber, no feeling or life there at all

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #2,546 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see i told you they have that dead sound to them and ive not found amping them removes that. not that they sound bad just like your in an acoustic chamber, no feeling or life there at all

Yes Mark, our experiences with them are very similar. Oh well.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #2,547 of 4,413
Quote:

You mean the Shure EA650 ($14.99):
Shure - Attachable Volume Control

Or the Etymotic ER4P-24 ($65):
Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•4 Accessories

Do they behave differently? It seems the Shure EA650 is lots cheaper and provides a variable control -- is there some benefit to the Etymotic ER4P-24 that makes it so pricey?

Try this you can get it in different resistance. I don't recommend anything over 75ohm.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #2,549 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this you can get it in different resistance. I don't recommend anything over 75ohm.

Thanks, but I'm still not quite sure I understand the advantage of an ER4P-to-ER4S resistor cable/adapter over a passive attenuator like Shure - Attachable Volume Control -- as the Shure attenuator also seems to give variable level control.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #2,550 of 4,413
Quote:

Perhaps you guys should go start a UM3x unappreciation thread.

I knew this would happen. No I don't want to do that at all. Best I leave. Come on Mark we're going!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back