Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 18, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #1,112 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the UM3X and the Triple Fi 10. The UM3X has a more ergonomic fit. The Triple Fi is initially something of an IQ test, with its number-seven shape. It can fit with the cord going down or going up. I found the cord going up to give me better bass, but it was a weird experience finding that right fit. The UM3X just plugs in. You have to dial it upside down, like a hearing aid, but it fits into my lobes like it was meant to be there. I find it the most comfortable fit of any IEM I've come across.

Ironically, Westone not only has custom-fit headphones (the ES3X) but makes a custom-fit tip ($120), which can be used on just about any IEM (except for the UE's, which have thicker sound pipes). And yet, the way Westone's IEMs fit, it feels unnecessary to go to the trouble of going "custom."

About three weeks ago, I decided to look at what I considered to be the top contenders - the SE530, the UE Triple Fi 10, the W3, the UM3X and the Er4p. I found all of these IEMs to be everything I wanted in an IEM, with perhaps the exception of the Ety Er4p, which my ears never really agreed with. I hear all this great buzz about the Ety, but I just didn't shine to them very well (though I must admit that the Ety had exceptional clarity, even if you had to play with it a lot to get decent bass).

Of all of these, the UM3X was clearly the best, with the UE Triple Fi 10 also sounding great. It took me a while to appreciate the SE530, which feels cold and analytical compared to the UM3X. I liked the W3 but found it too bassy for my blood. I really like the UM3X. It's warm and has bass to spare, but it's so much more balanced. I could live with these things in my ears.

As for the Westone 1, if that's what you can afford, go for it. But just know that you never pay $400 for a $400 IEM. The UM3X was the most expensive, because it's the newest, but if you keep your eyes open, you can get a lot of great deals. One IEM I bought directly from the manufacturer was the PFE, which was only $139. It might be crap, but that's not the word on the street. Everything I hear is that this Swiss IEM is phenomenal for its price range, so I'll give it a check, if just to know what I'm "missing."

You can get a UM-1 for $109 brand new. If I were choosing between it and some plastic crap hanging from a hook at Best Buy, I'd go with the UM-1. Westone makes great stuff.

UM56 provides more than just a good fit, the bass is deeper (because of the fit) and everything is more detailed. With the UM3x in particular, because of the great instrument separation, the increase in detail gives the overall sound more depth. Also, You avoid tip experimentation and having to sacrifice treble for a better fit with say, complys or having to sacrifice bass for a better fit with bi flanges. I see you posted that the UM3x is the most expensive IEM but for some odd reason the UM3x actually cost less than the W3.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #1,113 of 4,413
That's music to my ears. I think Westone's approach is the most enlightened. I can see myself getting an appointment with one of our three local audiologists to get the UM56 tip, because it's the most amazing thing: a custom universal tip. It's the custom fit that can be applied to practically any IEM (except, for example, with the UE Triple Fi). Where can you get a custom tip that is also so universal? Wow! Westone rocks!

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #1,114 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM56 provides more than just a good fit, the bass is deeper (because of the fit) and everything is more detailed. With the UM3x in particular, because of the great instrument separation, the increase in detail gives the overall sound more depth. Also, You avoid tip experimentation and having to sacrifice treble for a better fit with say, complys or having to sacrifice bass for a better fit with bi flanges. I see you posted that the UM3x is the most expensive IEM but for some odd reason the UM3x actually cost less than the W3.

Quote:

That's music to my ears. I think Westone's approach is the most enlightened. I can see myself getting an appointment with one of our three local audiologists to get the UM56 tip, because it's the most amazing thing: a custom universal tip. It's the custom fit that can be applied to practically any IEM (except, for example, with the UE Triple Fi). Where can you get a custom tip that is also so universal? Wow! Westone rocks!

The UM56 tips also improved my SE530 and Image X10, but not to the level of the W3. And the sound of the W3 with UM56 approaches that of the UM3X, but with a more distant seating position in the audience and the W3 mids are still a little less present and vivid than the UM3X with the same UM56 tips. It helps tame and deepen the bass on the W3 as well, and make the treble smoother too. The UM56 will even shave your cat for you! Well, I made that last part up, but the rest is true.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #1,115 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM56 will even shave your cat for you! Well, I made that last part up, but the rest is true.

There is an audiophile sense of humor for ya.
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #1,116 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by heliuscc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've read all the posts and am no nearer to a conclusion. Is $400 too much to spend on an IEM? Are UM3X the best phones to buy? Are they comfier than my UE super Fi 3? Would I notice any difference if I bought the westone 1s and pretended you couldn't get better versions? Will the British pound get stronger so I can pay a bit less?

Questions, questions.

FYI, UM3X is being sold for $346.49 (£210), including shipping, from an excellent seller & authorised Westone dealer, who will also help so you don't have to pay Import Duty/ VAT:

WESTONE UM3X New Sealed Box 100% Positive Feedback on eBay, also Monitors, Monitors Speakers, Pro Audio Stage Effects, Electronics (end time 05-Jul-09 13:01:57 BST)

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #1,117 of 4,413
Quote:

Hello Bilavideo, I don't necessarily think that a reaction to "in your face" vocals presupposes a preference for "colder, more analytical presentations".

The width of the soundstage and the color of the presentation are related. In a way, they are overlapping ways of describing a similar experience.

It could simply be an aversion to a soundstage that is already perceived by some as small or "closed in", with vocals prominently placed within it.

Think, for a moment, what it means to speak of a soundstage as "narrow" or "wide." With loudspeakers, soundstage is a matter of speaker placement and signal separation. There's a parallax between left and right channels, which the brain processes spatially. Bose exploits this by aiming duplicate speakers at the ceiling and walls so that duplicate and degraded left and right signals arrive late, enhancing that sense of "space." You get a similar effect using a comb filter to simulate a stereo presentation from mono.

For headphones, "soundstage" is about creating headroom. We don't have a ceiling, floor and walls for the sound to bounce off of, just drivers screaming into our ears. The goal is to fool the brain into sensing greater spaciousness. Grado does this acoustically. Its open-air design allows transient sound to mix in with the sounds of the driver, which have been purged of unwanted resonance. Some of that sound is sound from the other driver. With closed phones, amps do this electronically with cross-channel circuits.

For IEMs, the "soundstage" issue is most critical because the drivers are pressed into the ear canal. Sound isolation prevents even the most benign cross-channel mixing, absent special procesing from an amp. So, how does an IEM create a "soundstage?" The only "soundstage" you can create is the perception of one produced by how the IEM reproduces the signals it's sent.

Again, what is a "wider soundstage?" It's the degree to which the presentation fools the brain into perceiving a greater sense of space. What can an IEM do, short of amping tricks, to make the presentation seem wider? What clues does the mind use to perceive a wider sense of space?

I think, if you'll reflect on the matter, you'll notice that a colder presentation seems wider. While bass seems to go through walls like a hot knife through butter, shorter-waved high-frequency sounds (particularly of the midrange kind) are what we more commonly associate with echoes off of floors, walls and ceilings. Imagine an orchestral concert conducted in front of a band shell. The further up front you are, the more you hear the instruments themselves. The further back you go, the more you hear other artifacts, such as echoes off the band shell. The overall balance of the performance flattens out, not completely but much more so than if you were up front. The further back you go, the more you are hearing a totality of the experience, which is now not just the performers performing but the audience and the echoes and whatever else drifts into the microphone.

In truth, there is no "front" or "back," except the original position of the microphones. Each IEM is reproducing the exact same set of signals. But one presentation may sound "wider" or more "echoey" because of its EQ. The UM3X, with its reduced but significant equalizer smile, feels more intimate. The SE530, with its flat or midrange heavy presentation, feels more "distant" and therefore "wider." Some folks prefer the "wider soundstage." I prefer the intimacy. I don't go to concerts so I can sit in the back, or even the middle. I like it up front. I want to be immersed in the energy of the performance. It's not hard to see how others would feel claustrophobic by it, but then again, when I go to the theater, I set closer to the screen.

For example, the SE530 has been described by some here as having vocals that "shout at you". This implies that the vocalist is pretty close to the listener. Maybe close enough to light your cigarette, or to whisper an invitation in your ear to come visit her dressing room after the show - but I digress. This is presumably due to the forward, so called lush midrange for which this IEM is known. Yet, you have described the sound signature of this IEM as cold, flat and distant. Is it possible to have both qualities coexisting in a phone? I don't know but it sounds contradictory to me.

What's contradictory is the set of accounts you are entertaining. I am telling you that the SE530 is colder and more distant; other people are telling you that it's more "up front." When you get your SE530, I'll let you judge for yourself, but it never struck me as an IEM "having vocals that 'shout at you.'" What's contradictory is the idea that you can have intimacy and soundstage. As a Grado owner, I'm sure you're familiar with the differences in soundstage between the classic RS-1 and the GS-1000. The RS-1 - like all of the Grados down the product line - puts the ear close to the driver (and eliminates resonances that might give the headphone a can-like sound). The GS-1000, on the other hand, creates distance between ear and driver. This "opens up" the presentation but at the cost of intimacy.

I've not heard the SE530 as yet but it is on its way to me and I'm looking forward to giving it a try. One of the reasons I chose it over the UM3X (which, I have not heard either) is because it reportedly does have a larger soundstage. I know that you are a Grado afficianado and I have a pair myself. Like you, I really enjoy their lively, upfront presentation and detail retrieval but only in small doses, as I find them a fatiguing phone to listen to for extended periods of time.

Maybe that's the basis of our disagreement: I've heard both IEMs and you haven't heard either. :wink: But if there's one consolation prize, it's that you heard right in this respect: The SE530 has a "larger soundstage," which is to say it sounds like you're further from the music. It will be less fatiguing because, with a flatter response, there will be less cause for ear fatigue. It's not unusual, in listening to both phones, to find the UM3X to be more immediately engaging, but over a longer run, the "blander" response will certainly be less fatiguing. One thing I noticed about the SE530 is that, while I found its presentation to be immediately much less enjoyable, the longer I wore it, the better it sounded. The brain adapts.

From what I've read in this thread, the UM3X is an IEM that does everything really well, perhaps with the exception of soundstage.

I don't miss soundstage, though some recordings are more enjoyable than others. I don't go to concerts so I can hear echoes off the walls. I prefer intimacy to distance. Those who have become used to the latter may have trouble with the former. C'est la vie.

You like the on-stage/front row presentation of the UM3X. From my perspective and being a guy who hangs around musicians (read drummer), I think that being on stage is a great place to be - for a musician, and me when I'm playing a gig. But if I'm in the audience listening to a band, I like to be a few rows back. I enjoy the sense of perspective that placing some distance between the band and myself gives me. The same applies to listening to a recording.

I couldn't agree less, which is perhaps why each of us remains on our respective sides of this discussion. I suspect that most of us still go to concerts (when we could get a cleaner sound right off the recording) and are willing to pay a premium to sit up front because we want to be on that stage, even as an audience. I recently went to a Flight of the Conchords concert and paid $100 per ticket to sit in row two, on the floor, just a few feet away. I could have paid $35 for tickets further back. Back there, I'd have had a "larger soundstage," but that's not what I was looking for. But regardless of my own preferences, I find it interesting that the seats up front are the most expensive ones, not the ones further back where people can get a "wider soundstage." I suspect it's because enough of us want to be up front, even if distance is cheaper.

Having IEMs jammed into my ears isn't my favourite way to listen to music but it is a necessity for me at work. The prospect of having IEMs with a "closed in" soundstage in my ears, no matter how non-fatiguing the musical presentation might be, seems a little claustrophobic for my tastes. Hence, the main reason for the choice of the SE530 (and a price point that is over a hundred dollars less than the UM3X; distasteful I know but true).

IEMs put me into another world. I don't feel claustrophobic because they give me a sense of intimacy. I feel liberated by it. When I wear my IEMs, it's because I'd rather be "there" than the "here" of the dentist's office, deskwork, household chores or sitting in a lobby. My IEMs put me "there" because they reach out and grab me. They pull me out of my "here," something they wouldn't be able to do if they felt flat, cold and distant. So no, I'm fine with the tradeoff. I'm willing to give up some "soundstage" to get the "intimacy" I need.

I really hope that the SE530 won't be as cold and analytical as you describe

It is, but that's not a bad thing. It's just a thing. And the more you listen to the presentation of the SE530, the more it grows on you. Your brain starts doing processing its presentation. Flat can actually be good. It just takes some getting used to.

I've no doubt that I would be impressed with either of these phones, and it really was a difficult decision to choose one over the other without being able to audition them.

It's a false dilemma. This "my IEM is better than yours" thing is just boys and their toys. The SE530 is a great IEM. I'm not as into it as I am the UM3X, but the longer I gave it a listen, the less I cared. It does what it does very well. You won't be disappointed, and if you are, it won't last long.

I'm afraid I disagree with you for the most part, and I find your response rather presumptuous. It would seem that we like our music presented to us differently and that's fine. So I hope you don't mind when I say that I was bemused to read that you disagreed with me about how I like to listen to music. I really didn't think that point was open for debate. I was speaking for myself, no one else, and I thought I had made that quite clear. By all means state how you prefer to listen to your music but please accept how I prefer to listen to mine. And as far as live performances go, well I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to pretend to know why people choose to sit where they sit in an auditorium. I would have to go and ask each and every one of them in order to establish that truth.

I do concede that you have had the benefit of listening to both the UM3X and the SE530 and I have not heard either. However, my view of the characteristics of these phones has been entirely informed by the impressions of Head-Fiers, who have had experience with both, including your own, as you know. Contrary to your assertion, I didn't find these accounts particularly contradictory. However, I did find your description of the SE530 to be somewhat of a departure from the majority of posts that I had read describing its sound signature. Be that as it may, these impressions along with other factors formed the basis of my choice. As I have said before, if I was in a position to listen to both of these phones, I wouldn't have come here seeking the impressions of others who had.

Of course, ultimately my own ears will be the judge. But again I find your comment that "It's a false dilemma" rather presumptuous. It was a very real dilemma for me. And this has never been about which is the best IEM. I'm not of that mindset. At the risk of sounding uncharitable, I don't know whether I will be disappointed with these IEMs or not until I listen to them, so how can you possibly know? And if I am disappointed with them, how do you know that this will not last long?

Would it not be more prudent to leave the business of my hearing perception to me and simply wish me well with my choice?

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #1,119 of 4,413
got to say if you don't believe bilavideo, just try playing around with equalizers or the convolver in foobar.

You'll soon find that if you boost the trebles on a westone and lower the mids you move closer to an 'open' wider soundstage soundsig and any intimacy just burns away.
Boost the bass or midrange more (or use complys lol) and you'll find yourself in a deep muddy cave with your face in the mud. And then again it depends on what you're listening to as well where the music responds to EQ.

If I want analytical sound I just boost my UM2s a bit from 800Hz and up. Recess 220 to 800Hz slightly and keep the bass constant as it's already powerful and impactful enough.
Similarly I can make Sony SA5000s tamer towards Senn HD650 territory, or make the HD650 more nimble and spry towards the SA5000. Sure, EQ doesn't sound great, but it will give you the sound effects you might want.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #1,120 of 4,413
Hey Pondy!!!!!!

I agree about not wanting to be on stage with the musicians... I need some distance to be able to get involved with the music. I go to a LOT of concerts, well, okay, about six a year - but it feels like a lot
ksc75smile.gif

Most times I'm always somewhere in the first ten rows. When I've been in the first row, it's been almost too much and I want to move back a couple of rows so that my brain can process the music more efficiently, if that makes any sense. The closer something is, the less focus I have. It's the same with TV, some people like to sit close up to the picture, and some people 'lose' the picture the closer they sit to the screen.

Listening preferences are so individual, and views so often conflict with other views over the same phones. But if I've learned anything here... it is that I've learned nothing - no, haha - what I've learned is not to be surprised when someone has a totally different experience. For example, I've never heard anyone describe the E500/SE530 as cold and analytical before. In fact I'm really surprised at that description because I remember them being warm and full sounding. The ER4P are what I'd describe as cold and analytical, never the E500s!

But then, people are surprised that I find the UM3X vocals so intrusive. I think surrealsky and gameboy found them very forward too. I agree with steviebee. They are not my cup of tea, and I haven't really enjoyed my time with them. And I've given them plenty of time to grow on me - they just didn't take root
biggrin.gif

P.S When do you get the Shures?

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #1,121 of 4,413
Hey soozieq! I should be receiving them sometime next week I expect. There's no turning back now. Yes, no doubt this is an entirely subjective pursuit. I do agree with Ilney though - I'm in the wrong thread!

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #1,122 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Pondy!!!!!!

I agree about not wanting to be on stage with the musicians... I need some distance to be able to get involved with the music. I go to a LOT of concerts, well, okay, about six a year - but it feels like a lot
ksc75smile.gif

Most times I'm always somewhere in the first ten rows. When I've been in the first row, it's been almost too much and I want to move back a couple of rows so that my brain can process the music more efficiently, if that makes any sense. The closer something is, the less focus I have. It's the same with TV, some people like to sit close up to the picture, and some people 'lose' the picture the closer they sit to the screen.

Listening preferences are so individual, and views so often conflict with other views over the same phones. But if I've learned anything here... it is that I've learned nothing - no, haha - what I've learned is not to be surprised when someone has a totally different experience. For example, I've never heard anyone describe the E500/SE530 as cold and analytical before. In fact I'm really surprised at that description because I remember them being warm and full sounding. The ER4P are what I'd describe as cold and analytical, never the E500s!

But then, people are surprised that I find the UM3X vocals so intrusive. I think surrealsky and gameboy found them very forward too. I agree with steviebee. They are not my cup of tea, and I haven't really enjoyed my time with them. And I've given them plenty of time to grow on me - they just didn't take root
biggrin.gif

P.S When do you get the Shures?

Before passing them up, why don't you give the um56 a try. It might alleviate the excess forwardness, but even if it doesn't, heck you'd now have a custom sleeve that you can use with a se530. HPA says the um56 tends to nullify the flaws in every iem he used them with; for example, the hump in the W3's and the rolled off and recessed treble in the se530. You never know... you might find yourself 2-3 rows back instead of onstage.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #1,123 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 UM3X for me had a closed in soundstage. Triple Fi were like a huge spatial 'window' in comparison, to my ears. UM3X sounded to me like being in a fairly small-to-moderate sized room (reminded me of ER-4 at first, but UM3X is better soundstage-wise than the Etys, I decided). The impact of this was that in, say, Ozric Tentacles, sounds moving around the headspace were much more spatially active with Triple Fi, moving in depth from top right to lower left, or whatever...I just didn't have, to my ears, that sense of speed, space or 3D movement with the Westone. Detail placed far out on the soundstage was closer in. Separation was very good tho, to be fair...

2 The treble of UM3X, despite being laudable compared to SE530, just didn't have that extra bite/edge/zing: cymbals were not as metallic as they should be (an offbeat pattern in Porcupine Tree's Metanoia just didn't clang when he hit the bell of the ride, thus didn't cut through enough as an obviously slightly discordant offbeat). Similarly, with Black Uhuru, a repeating, insistent, nagging cowbell playing against the rhythm just didn't carry that nagging feeling - it was just a nice effect in the background. With Triple Fi, both the cymbal and the cowbell stood out where they should be, as important parts of the production. It was all a bit too 'polite' with UM3X if I may describe it that way.

However, I do have to say that during my time with UM3X, I grew to like them more than at first (natch) and that I did have a problem successfully getting a good lasting seal in my right ear, so read the above with that in mind. However, a slight lack of seal appears to be beneficial sometimes (in the case of IE8s, say) so I don't think that would necessarily make my impressions too skewed, in terms of soundstage at any rate. An open bud like OK1, or on-ear like KSC75, has a wonderfully wide SS, after all.
I thought UM3X bass was commendable -very nice, deep, clean. As I got used to them I could understand why people love them -very balanced, very smooth, creamy, nice. They certainly made my ER-4P sound more than a bit hard & harsh at the top end.

Would I now buy UM3X to replace Triple Fi? Sorry, no. I'm still looking for that particular IEM. Unless of course, I've already found it. And it's metallic blue. In which case.....gawd...customs.

Sorry for the long ramble. Good luck with your choices. You really cannot go wrong with either - & as you already have Triple Fi dialed, I would suggest you give UM3X a little while to settle in. Some UM3X lovers may say a week wasn't long enough but, hey...each to their own!

I'll be very interested to hear your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow.... Finally… my UM3X arrived this morning!

I am doing A-Bing to my Triples with grin in my face while my co-worker is calling me crazy…., and what can I say!!! UM3X are really good set of IEM, very well balanced, smooth like butter and well controlled/natural sounding phones.

First impression was like wow! I understand why people were praising these over other top tier IEMS.
It feels like I am in the recording studio with singers, and its fuller and creamy sounding is very enjoyable!!

UM3X definitely has less treble energy than Triples, but it's there and they extend nicely. I don’t feel like I am missing a lot. Also, it's very natural to my ears. Transparency is superb, instrument separation is exceptional. Somehow, Treble was my biggest concern & worry, but UM3X didn’t disappoint me that much in this regard. I know there’s less sparkles to music, but I have to find out with other sources and recordings.
Triples’ high sparkles and it's very crispy while UM3X's high is very smooth, wetter and creamy.

Mid department is much forwarded than Triples but not too much like "in your face" kind of feeling as other mentioned. Vocals are very close but I don’t find that they are over pronounced among other spectrums.

Bass hits harder than Triples but not boomy at all.. I am impressed!! They are well controlled like Triples. UM3X has more bass in quantity wise, and I like their quality too.

Comfort wise, UM3X are more comfortable compared to Triples, even I find Triples to be comfortable to me. UM3X sit flush with my ears and I feel like I can even sleep with them.

However, my complain is a narrow soundstage of UM3X. My worries were correct on this regard. It feels like I moved from church or concert hall to recording studio. Huge difference and big disappointment.
And also, UM3X doesn’t look durable at all compared to Triples, and cables are not detachable, so I am worried when it comes to one of cable dies.
I also hear hiss from my player, which bothers me. Does anyone hear hiss from their player or from some recording??? These hiss are very noticeable so other might found out.

Sound signature wise, I am very pleased with UM3X since I don’t feel like I lost a lot of treble energy as much as I worried. And very happy with natural/ well balanced signature of UM3X.

First impression result will be like below.

Treble quantity/energy – Triple>UM3X (Triple’s treble is more pronounced)
Treble quality – Very different. Triples have very crispy and metallic as well as over-extended and detailed highs while UM3X has very smooth and creamy and wetter treble. Triples have more sparkles.

Mid quantity/energy – UM3X>Triples (Mid of UM3X is much forwarded compared to Triples. I don’t think Triples' mid is veiled at all, just farther from you and less pronounced than its treble department)
Mid quality – I can’t say which one I prefer yet but “lush” and fuller sound of UM3X could be double edge to your preference. Some will love it for, some will hate.

Bass quantity – UM3X>Triples. – No doubt that UM3x has more bass in lower end, hits harder, has nice vibe and feels to it.
Bass quality – UM3X>Triples – I am not a bass head at all, but more is better when it comes down to these 2 IEMS. They both are well controlled, punchy. It seems like Triple has more mid-bass hump than UM3X and UM3X has more in Lower-bass. I like both, but I prefer UM3X in this regard.

Balance – UM3X>Triples – I understand why people praise UM3X for its balance. Nothing is overpowering none of the spectrum, but I don’t know if that’s what I want. While Triple is very “fun” sounding, UM3X has less color, and losing the “fun” factors to me.

Soundstage/Imaging – Triples>UM3X – There’s no comparison here. Triples win by big margin. Triples have air, depth and heights. UM3X is just feel like in the recording studio, while Triples gives me a feeling of being in a concert hall.

Instrument separation – Triples=UM3X -They both wins in this regard.

Durability – Triples win. UM3X just look too fragile and its un-detachable cable just hesitate me to keep them

Comfort – UM3X>Triples – Well. I think I can sleep with UM3X. That’s a big plus.

Well enough of writing until I decide and sell one of these IEM. Like I said one has to go so I’ll post back which one I decide to sell. It’ll be very difficult for me.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #1,124 of 4,413
^^ Nice balanced write-up! I'm sure some will find it very useful.

Couple of things, though, to consider in case you don't already know them - Westone cables are said to be perhaps the best in the industry. You also get 2 years' warranty if you fill out the card that comes with the UM3X's and post it to Westone or, better still, you can do it on-line which literally takes a few seconds to fill out. If you don't, you only get a one-year warranty. And lastly Westone's customer service is also one of the very best in the industry.

EDIT: BTW, I absolutely have no problem with the UM3X's sound/ headstage.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,125 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, my complain is a narrow soundstage of UM3X. My worries were correct on this regard. It feels like I moved from church or concert hall to recording studio. Huge difference and big disappointment.
First impression result will be like below.

That is exactly how it is suppose to be as a studio monitor. I'd say Westone totally nailed it. I find the superb instrument separation to make up for the distance/space criteria of a soundstage. If you don't care for that perhaps the W3 may have been the better choice for you. I like your mentioning of the "creamy smooth" sound. It is definitely that.

There have been cases of cracked housings on TF10Pro so one cannot say it is more durable than UM3X which has only been out 3 months now.

Nice write up. Received mine May 1st and it is still convincingly the best universal IEM I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back