Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #1,081 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally find the mids absolutely fantastic and find they're are very very very similar to the ES3X's! -- not yet found people not only not saying the ES3X's vocals/ mids delivery to be 'in your face' but no complaints whatsoever on the whole mid-range. Of course, we mustn't forget all the different tips we all use, ear shapes, and so on. At least with customs there seems to be a more general consensus as to what some customs sound like. The tips I use with my UM3X's provide the SQ which is NOT that far from my ES3X's.

And to these ears the mid-range is second to none (apart from the ES3X's), having owned the SE530's & Westone 3 - but I insist, that's me.

Very interesting. Thanks.

By the way, every opinions that I read on these threads I never take as absolutes. Rather, I try to find a general correlation between what type of sound and music people like, and the headphones that they prefer. It at allows me to guestimate which iem is fit for my taste.
regular_smile .gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #1,082 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen, I'll give them a go. Please tell me your Lune cable is better than stock.
I am not a fan of UE custom cable since it doesnt sit flush and it widens the plug-in holes and stock cable will be loose-fit after use custom cables for triples.

Thank you and love you for all your generous help.

First of all i never found Triples to be fatiguing at all. I can listen to them for 5 hours non-stop with out fatiguing.

Aw, that's sweet -thanks! The Lune? My recollection is that it lessens bass boom & gives a slight increase in treble detail. However, note that I've been roadtesting the UE custom cable exclusively for a couple weeks now & haven't listened via Lune. I just bought (thx xiaoipower! What a nice guy.) another pr of Triples so I can run two cables 'side by side'... I'll let you know what I think soon as I find out if my current preference for the custom cable is all hogwash compared to stock
biggrin.gif

As for the whole mids thing - in response to...bugger...didn't multi-quote... think it was tigon_ridge, apologies if not - I'm sure (yay!) Shure didn't build SE530 thinking that some of us would find their vocals/mids 'shouty' and in-yer-face: they probably reasoned that most people seem to prefer more forward mids - and that's where vocals (emotion, salve mea) sit, so let's have a more forward midrange & a nice warm sound - ergo, bums on seats. Doesn't change the fact that some (me) find the mids shouty and too much. Same with UM3X I guess -tho I didn't find the mids as in-my-face as soozie found em, & as I've always found SE530, overall I did not take to UM3X like a lot of people here have. We all hear differently. Vive la difference.

You like/love UM3X. The most unflawed universal you've heard? Good. Nay, great. More power to you. I/we differ is all
smily_headphones1.gif

And tigon_ridge - you say you don't own an IEM? Am I recalling this right? Have you heard an IEM? Bit confused, sorry -just got back from the pub....

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #1,083 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering: how many of you are listening to this headphone thru an amp??? I almost always use my Pico with an Imod and I notice huge sonic differences. Have x10 and Ety4p for IEMs. So are these impressions coming from folk who don't use amps???

No amp here, don't think you need one. The sound is balanced and everything is strong, there's literally nothing missing. The only complaint I heard is that the vocals are too forward.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #1,084 of 4,413
These are "listenable" sans amp, but nothing special IMO. Nothing short of spectacular with the SR71-A. Very nice with TAH. Going back to the iPod headphone jack is pretty miserable in comparison.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #1,085 of 4,413
I'm squinting here, tryin' to read where Head Fi is in your brain avatar Il Mostro....
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #1,086 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm squinting here, tryin' to read where Head Fi is in your brain avatar Il Mostro....
biggrin.gif

Hidden somewhere between "sex" and "lame excuses"
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #1,087 of 4,413
I just want to people to know that I don't share the same sentiment about Steve - and I found him to be a terrible person

He was even late by 20 mins to the meeting^^

Sorry back to topic

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #1,089 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw, that's sweet -thanks! The Lune? My recollection is that it lessens bass boom & gives a slight increase in treble detail. However, note that I've been roadtesting the UE custom cable exclusively for a couple weeks now & haven't listened via Lune. I just bought (thx xiaoipower! What a nice guy.) another pr of Triples so I can run two cables 'side by side'... I'll let you know what I think soon as I find out if my current preference for the custom cable is all hogwash compared to stock
biggrin.gif

As for the whole mids thing - in response to...bugger...didn't multi-quote... think it was tigon_ridge, apologies if not - I'm sure (yay!) Shure didn't build SE530 thinking that some of us would find their vocals/mids 'shouty' and in-yer-face: they probably reasoned that most people seem to prefer more forward mids - and that's where vocals (emotion, salve mea) sit, so let's have a more forward midrange & a nice warm sound - ergo, bums on seats. Doesn't change the fact that some (me) find the mids shouty and too much. Same with UM3X I guess -tho I didn't find the mids as in-my-face as soozie found em, & as I've always found SE530, overall I did not take to UM3X like a lot of people here have. We all hear differently. Vive la difference.

You like/love UM3X. The most unflawed universal you've heard? Good. Nay, great. More power to you. I/we differ is all
smily_headphones1.gif

And tigon_ridge - you say you don't own an IEM? Am I recalling this right? Have you heard an IEM? Bit confused, sorry -just got back from the pub....

Indeed I have never owned an iem. I probably won't for several months since I quit my last job (painful).

I came to to head-fi to relieve my curiosity and because I will be purchasing an iem someday, without um3x first place in line for consideration. So far, everyone (not just those who answered my questions directly) has been very helpful.

Waiting to see your comparison between the UE stock and custom cables. Very interesting. I believe that every equipment component, from source to headphone, has to perform perfectly in order for the recording to reproduced perfectly.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #1,090 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question for listeners who own the um3x and se530 (or have owned the se530). So se530 is supposed to the top of the line mids quality, as far as universal monitors goes. Would you say the um3x is very, very close? Let me make an open-ended question: how would you describe their differences in terms of mids?

Thank you.

Oh God! I've been down this long and torturous path. I suggest that if you search for the SE530 vs. Westone UM3X thread, and read over this one, most of your questions relating to comparisons of these two phones should already be addressed. That doesn't mean that they will be answered. You will not find a general consensus in these forums, however you will find many opinions, some more impartial than others. Good luck!

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #1,092 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaoipower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to people to know that I don't share the same sentiment about Steve - and I found him to be a terrible person

He was even late by 20 mins to the meeting^^

Sorry back to topic

LOL! I was?

And x2 - I'm really not good at being a person at all

biggrin.gif

How's the E5 btw?

Edit\ @tigon_ridge - well, the good thing is, when you're ready you will be spoilt for choice. A good spread of universals to try out, and always coming up in FS if new is too $$$
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to hear you lost your job, good luck in finding another.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #1,093 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I appreciate your honesty about the similarities between the universal UM3X and the custom ES3X. Over on one of the other threads, there's a running debate about whether it's better to buy the Triple Fi 10 (UE's top universal) or the UE 4 (which is basically a custom version of the Super Fi 5). It's a debate that turns on whether it's better to spend $400 on better drivers or a custom fit. I'm more inclined to go for the better drivers - since I've already found tips for my Triple Fi 10 that work like a charm. Pride of ownership typically runs the other way, as owning a custom fit is something of a status symbol. The argument I've made there is that the custom fit will always trump the best universal fit but that the difference between a custom fit and a great universal fit isn't dispositive. All things being equal, I'd take the custom fit. But I'd be hesitant to sacrifice better drivers for a custom fit.

2. My UM3X fits so snug in my ears that I'm not presently motivated to go for a custom fit. In fact, I find the UM3X to be the most ergonomic IEM I've ever experienced. However, I may - in the intermediate future - go for the M56 tips, which seem to provide the best of both worlds: A custom fit for universal IEMs. I think Westone is to be lauded for making these available since $120 is a lot cheaper than paying double for the same IEM - which all of Westone's major rivals are doing.

3. When people say that the vocals on the UM3X are "in your face," I don't have a problem with that. I think it's a valid reaction, particularly when they're coming from colder, more analytical presentations that put the listener in the back row - if not up in nosebleed. Listening to the UM3X, I feel like I'm on stage or at least in front row. I'm right there, which means the vocals are "right here." In my face? Sure. But this is the most tasteful oral I'm likely to ever get.

Hello Bilavideo,

I don't necessarily think that a reaction to "in your face" vocals presupposes a preference for "colder, more analytical presentations". It could simply be an aversion to a soundstage that is already perceived by some as small or "closed in", with vocals prominently placed within it. For example, the SE530 has been described by some here as having vocals that "shout at you". This implies that the vocalist is pretty close to the listener. Maybe close enough to light your cigarette, or to whisper an invitation in your ear to come visit her dressing room after the show - but I digress. This is presumably due to the forward, so called lush midrange for which this IEM is known. Yet, you have described the sound signature of this IEM as cold, flat and distant. Is it possible to have both qualities coexisting in a phone? I don't know but it sounds contradictory to me.

I've not heard the SE530 as yet but it is on its way to me and I'm looking forward to giving it a try. One of the reasons I chose it over the UM3X (which, I have not heard either) is because it reportedly does have a larger soundstage. I know that you are a Grado afficianado and I have a pair myself. Like you, I really enjoy their lively, upfront presentation and detail retrieval but only in small doses, as I find them a fatiguing phone to listen to for extended periods of time.

Your double entendre not withstanding, I appreciate that the UM3X appeals to you because it is the IEM that to your ears shares the most similarities with your beloved Grados. From what I've read in this thread, the UM3X is an IEM that does everything really well, perhaps with the exception of soundstage. This doesn't surprise me as it was designed primarily for use as a stage monitor (have I just provoked a chorus of vehement disagreement? Let me just quickly qualify this statement by adding that being a stage monitor isn't a bad thing).

You like the on-stage/front row presentation of the UM3X. From my perspective and being a guy who hangs around musicians (read drummer), I think that being on stage is a great place to be - for a musician, and me when I'm playing a gig. But if I'm in the audience listening to a band, I like to be a few rows back. I enjoy the sense of perspective that placing some distance between the band and myself gives me. The same applies to listening to a recording.

Having IEMs jammed into my ears isn't my favourite way to listen to music but it is a necessity for me at work. The prospect of having IEMs with a "closed in" soundstage in my ears, no matter how non-fatiguing the musical presentation might be, seems a little claustrophobic for my tastes. Hence, the main reason for the choice of the SE530 (and a price point that is over a hundred dollars less than the UM3X; distasteful I know but true).

I really hope that the SE530 won't be as cold and analytical as you describe and that it doesn't bring on a nose bleed. I rarely suffer from them, so it would be a shame to start now. As I've said in earlier posts, I've no doubt that I would be impressed with either of these phones, and it really was a difficult decision to choose one over the other without being able to audition them. I'm hoping that I have chosen wisely and that I won't be disappointed with its performance. Maybe one day I might have the opportunity to listen to the UM3X and compare for myself. And ten minutes afterwards someone will bump their head on the soles of my shoes as they enter the gents.

This has been an unexpectedly long post. So to summarise, the point that I was attempting to make can be found in the first paragraph. The rest of the content is extraneous to it and entirely self-indulgent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back