Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 17, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #1,096 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are "listenable" sans amp, but nothing special IMO. Nothing short of spectacular with the SR71-A. Very nice with TAH. Going back to the iPod headphone jack is pretty miserable in comparison.

humm, I did not notice that much of difference when I have my SR-71A. It will only get better as the SR-71A burn in.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #1,097 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw, that's sweet -thanks! The Lune? My recollection is that it lessens bass boom & gives a slight increase in treble detail. However, note that I've been roadtesting the UE custom cable exclusively for a couple weeks now & haven't listened via Lune. I just bought (thx xiaoipower! What a nice guy.) another pr of Triples so I can run two cables 'side by side'... I'll let you know what I think soon as I find out if my current preference for the custom cable is all hogwash compared to stock
biggrin.gif

Oh... I just can't wait for your impression/review.
I just thought that "how much it's gong to be different, it's just cable.." you know? but if I decide to stay with my beloved Trips, and if you decide which cable is better, then I will buy that Lune cable! or UE Custom cable.

But $99 for cable eh? -_-

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #1,098 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh God! I've been down this long and torturous path. I suggest that if you search for the SE530 vs. Westone UM3X thread, and read over this one, most of your questions relating to comparisons of these two phones should already be addressed. That doesn't mean that they will be answered. You will not find a general consensus in these forums, however you will find many opinions, some more impartial than others. Good luck!

I'm sorry that it was such a torturous path for you. The fact is, I have read that thread... I just don't remember most of it. ^^

Besides, my question was very very specific, although I guess it would have been more appropriate to post the quest there rather than here. If I were to reread that thread, it would take forever with many comparisons that are beyond the scope of what I'm most interested in...the mids. I would get comparisons about lows, low lows, low mids, high mids, humps, speed, transparency, soundstage, sibilance handling, blah blah blah... I already know that most users of se530 and um3x agree that the um3x trumps in all of those criteria, maybe except the mids and soundstage; hence my very specific question. Either way, there's no harm in posting something already discussed. Many people here are very sociable, eager to share information, and are willing to repeat themselves at least once or twice...I take full advantage of that.
wink.gif

As for the consensus thing, I disagree that there isn't a consensus on most of these topics. While there are disagreements, I tally up similar or common opinions, versus opposing opinions. The opinion which gets the most concurrence would the consensus. However, I also weigh in how much headphone listening experience each person has. All of this come together to help me formulate a guess for where each of these goodies stand with respect to my listening tastes.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #1,099 of 4,413
But when comparing UM3X with SE530, it is fair to say that the midrange, bass and soundstage are excellent on both and are going to come down to personal preference however the UM3X is undisputably better in the treble area so it gets the nod in my book.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #1,100 of 4,413
Well I've read all the posts and am no nearer to a conclusion. Is $400 too much to spend on an IEM? Are UM3X the best phones to buy? Are they comfier than my UE super Fi 3? Would I notice any difference if I bought the westone 1s and pretended you couldn't get better versions? Will the British pound get stronger so I can pay a bit less?

Questions, questions.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #1,101 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by heliuscc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've read all the posts and am no nearer to a conclusion. Is $400 too much to spend on an IEM? Are UM3X the best phones to buy? Are they comfier than my UE super Fi 3? Would I notice any difference if I bought the westone 1s and pretended you couldn't get better versions? Will the British pound get stronger so I can pay a bit less?

Questions, questions.

Super Fi 3 about same as UM1. Don't bother, only fit is improved.

UM3X is a MASSIVE upgrade if you have the money of course.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #1,102 of 4,413
That is what I was expecting, comfort is my main issue with the SF3. UM2 is not far off the UM3X price, looks like I'm being steered into expensive waters...

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #1,103 of 4,413
Quote:

Questions, questions.

Whether or not to spent $400 on anything is up to you to decide, not others. If you've never heard an iem (as myself), the only way you'll know is to try one yourself. Whether or not the um3x are the best is subjective also. About the British pound, inflation is widespread and predominant, I doubt any currency around the world is going to get stronger any time soon.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #1,104 of 4,413
It was mainly rhetorical, questions going round in my own head. I do thankyou for your economic assessment of the world though. I have tried IEMs and really the only question I may hope for an answer is if westones are comfier than UEs, which they do look to be from their shape and size.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #1,105 of 4,413
Quote:

It was mainly rhetorical, questions going round in my own head. I do thankyou for your economic assessment of the world though. I have tried IEMs and really the only question I may hope for an answer is if westones are comfier than UEs, which they do look to be from their shape and size.
biggrin.gif

Don't forget the um56 custom tip upgrade, for extra comfort and SQ. A nice overhead.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #1,106 of 4,413
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Yes, Westones are much comfier than SF3Pro. UM2's would also be a nice upgrade from SF3Pro. They are about $260 new.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,107 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry that it was such a torturous path for you. The fact is, I have read that thread... I just don't remember most of it. ^^

Besides, my question was very very specific, although I guess it would have been more appropriate to post the quest there rather than here. If I were to reread that thread, it would take forever with many comparisons that are beyond the scope of what I'm most interested in...the mids. I would get comparisons about lows, low lows, low mids, high mids, humps, speed, transparency, soundstage, sibilance handling, blah blah blah... I already know that most users of se530 and um3x agree that the um3x trumps in all of those criteria, maybe except the mids and soundstage; hence my very specific question. Either way, there's no harm in posting something already discussed. Many people here are very sociable, eager to share information, and are willing to repeat themselves at least once or twice...I take full advantage of that.
wink.gif

As for the consensus thing, I disagree that there isn't a consensus on most of these topics. While there are disagreements, I tally up similar or common opinions, versus opposing opinions. The opinion which gets the most concurrence would the consensus. However, I also weigh in how much headphone listening experience each person has. All of this come together to help me formulate a guess for where each of these goodies stand with respect to my listening tastes.

How very statistical of you! Are you intending to acquire an IEM or is this purely a research exercise?
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,108 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But when comparing UM3X with SE530, it is fair to say that the midrange, bass and soundstage are excellent on both and are going to come down to personal preference however the UM3X is undisputably better in the treble area so it gets the nod in my book.

UM3X: excellent instrument separation. Soundstage - on stage or in the first row.

SE530: instrument separation not as well defined. Soundstage - ten to fifteen rows back.

As you say, it really does come down to a matter of personal taste when comparing top tier universal IEMs. The rest is hair splitting.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #1,109 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How very statistical of you! Are you intending to acquire an IEM or is this purely a research exercise?
wink.gif

Both, of course. Who in their right mind would spend $300+ without first doing his homework on the potential purchase? Maybe if he has plenty of dough. I am not so fortunate, therefore lack of research is not an option. heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back