Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #1,126 of 4,413
Spyro is correct. If you read the particulars, these IEMS were designed for stage monitors. Could that be the reason for the more narrow soundstage, or the feeling that you're there with the performers?? Seems logical to me

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #1,127 of 4,413
JoyEnergizer, nice review. Insightful and useful since i'm triple.fi fan. But UM3X has more bass than triple.fi??? I thought UM3X reported to have a lot less bass than W3. W3 has a lot more bass?? Mind boggling...

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #1,128 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow.... Finally… my UM3X arrived this morning!

I am doing A-Bing to my Triples with grin in my face while my co-worker is calling me crazy…., and what can I say!!! UM3X are really good set of IEM, very well balanced, smooth like butter and well controlled/natural sounding phones.

First impression was like wow! I understand why people were praising these over other top tier IEMS.
It feels like I am in the recording studio with singers, and its fuller and creamy sounding is very enjoyable!!

UM3X definitely has less treble energy than Triples, but it's there and they extend nicely. I don’t feel like I am missing a lot. Also, it's very natural to my ears. Transparency is superb, instrument separation is exceptional. Somehow, Treble was my biggest concern & worry, but UM3X didn’t disappoint me that much in this regard. I know there’s less sparkles to music, but I have to find out with other sources and recordings.
Triples’ high sparkles and it's very crispy while UM3X's high is very smooth, wetter and creamy.

Mid department is much forwarded than Triples but not too much like "in your face" kind of feeling as other mentioned. Vocals are very close but I don’t find that they are over pronounced among other spectrums.

Bass hits harder than Triples but not boomy at all.. I am impressed!! They are well controlled like Triples. UM3X has more bass in quantity wise, and I like their quality too.

Comfort wise, UM3X are more comfortable compared to Triples, even I find Triples to be comfortable to me. UM3X sit flush with my ears and I feel like I can even sleep with them.

However, my complain is a narrow soundstage of UM3X. My worries were correct on this regard. It feels like I moved from church or concert hall to recording studio. Huge difference and big disappointment.
And also, UM3X doesn’t look durable at all compared to Triples, and cables are not detachable, so I am worried when it comes to one of cable dies.
I also hear hiss from my player, which bothers me. Does anyone hear hiss from their player or from some recording??? These hiss are very noticeable so other might found out.

Sound signature wise, I am very pleased with UM3X since I don’t feel like I lost a lot of treble energy as much as I worried. And very happy with natural/ well balanced signature of UM3X.

First impression result will be like below.

Treble quantity/energy – Triple>UM3X (Triple’s treble is more pronounced)
Treble quality – Very different. Triples have very crispy and metallic as well as over-extended and detailed highs while UM3X has very smooth and creamy and wetter treble. Triples have more sparkles.

Mid quantity/energy – UM3X>Triples (Mid of UM3X is much forwarded compared to Triples. I don’t think Triples' mid is veiled at all, just farther from you and less pronounced than its treble department)
Mid quality – I can’t say which one I prefer yet but “lush” and fuller sound of UM3X could be double edge to your preference. Some will love it for, some will hate.

Bass quantity – UM3X>Triples. – No doubt that UM3x has more bass in lower end, hits harder, has nice vibe and feels to it.
Bass quality – UM3X>Triples – I am not a bass head at all, but more is better when it comes down to these 2 IEMS. They both are well controlled, punchy. It seems like Triple has more mid-bass hump than UM3X and UM3X has more in Lower-bass. I like both, but I prefer UM3X in this regard.

Balance – UM3X>Triples – I understand why people praise UM3X for its balance. Nothing is overpowering none of the spectrum, but I don’t know if that’s what I want. While Triple is very “fun” sounding, UM3X has less color, and losing the “fun” factors to me.

Soundstage/Imaging – Triples>UM3X – There’s no comparison here. Triples win by big margin. Triples have air, depth and heights. UM3X is just feel like in the recording studio, while Triples gives me a feeling of being in a concert hall.

Instrument separation – Triples=UM3X -They both wins in this regard.

Durability – Triples win. UM3X just look too fragile and its un-detachable cable just hesitate me to keep them

Comfort – UM3X>Triples – Well. I think I can sleep with UM3X. That’s a big plus.

Well enough of writing until I decide and sell one of these IEM. Like I said one has to go so I’ll post back which one I decide to sell. It’ll be very difficult for me.

Nice Review. Thanks

I understand your disappointment about soundstage. That is what my complaint when I change from IE8 to UM3X. You can give Shure black olives a try. Better soundstage and separation. Don't want to get your hope up. The improvement won't be anywhere near to 10 pro though. Downside is more "in your face" presentation and a little over warm for my taste.

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #1,130 of 4,413
Well I've read and read and now I've pulled the trigger. Watching some UM3X make there way towards me via the tracking website...

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #1,131 of 4,413
A bit of a contrast in the last 2 posts - one pretty much saying "Just after a few hours with them they're now up for sale". The other one saying "I've read and read and now just pulled the trigger"

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #1,133 of 4,413
Well the UM1 would be no different to my super fi 3, hopefully more comfortable and ergonomic though. UM2 is nearly as much as the UM3X, so why not go for the triples. Westone 3 seem to be on sale a lot in the classifieds so one would assume the UM3X to be better, although as it's newer there would be less of them available. And I just landed a decent contract job so I thought why not? My main need is for a comfortable IEM so UEs were out for me, and westones just look like they fit nicely.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #1,134 of 4,413
Well, people have different taste in music so it lead to differ their need of IEM. Nothing special. I would not say either UM3X / IE8 / 10pro is world best universal IEM ever made. This is just bloated statement not being supported by any practical evidence as a matter of fact causal listeners won't require the same thing as musicians do

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #1,135 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the difference between the posts is one has owned and heard them, the other has merely read about them

The other one not only read about them but ALSO 'pulled the trigger'. Nothing spectacular about that as many people do that, but the fact one post followed the other is what caught my eye.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #1,139 of 4,413
got my UM3x today, the only tip that fit my ear is the Comply p-large. the direction of the nozzle make no other tip can goes into my ear canal, only the large Comply can goes deep enough into my ear. here is how I feel about it

Fit: IE7 > PFE > UM3X
IE7:because of the shallow insert of IE7 pretty much any tip of appropriate size will feel comfortable.
PFE: both Olive and Comply sit comfortable in my ear. silicon tip need a de-cored comply foam behind it to maintain the seal with such tip the seal is almost vacuum like.
UM3X: the direction of the Nozzle is facing forward too much for my ear. as result other than large P-tip nothing is long and soft enough to to goes into my ear canal. and pretty much no seal at all.

Isolation: I have to give credit to Comply P-tip it give both PFE and UM3X. some isolation can be achieved on PFE using small olive but the seal break way too easy. no other ear tip can goes in that deep, provide good seal yet feel comfortable. it is the tip that give isolation not PFE or UM3X.
As for IE7 there is no isolation, it is open design and sit way too shallow for isolation at all

SQ:
Bass:UM3X (P-tip) > PFE + E5(any tip) > IE7 (150 Hours)
the Bass of UM3X is like combination of IE7 and PFE. strong as IE7, but tight and clean as PFE. all 3 earphone has pretty deep bass but IE7's bass is a bit "wide/bloat" and PFE is just weak until amped +EQ. as for quantity UM3X is weaker than IE7 so does PFE with E5. With good amp PFE will have really good bass but not overwalm.

vocal and mid: UM3X=PFE (E5+Olive + gray) >IE7
PFE has really prominent vocal almost shout at you but not to that point. UM3X is slightly further and IE7 is even further. With PFE I feel all the energy of the vocal and mid range instrument. it is clear and crisp. can be just a little harsh occasionally but for most song it is really good. black filter make it smoother but just not as clear and clean.
UM3X has the distant closer to black filter but clan as gray filter. It is a bit warmer than PFE which make vocal smoother without taking energy and cleanness away. IE7 sound warmer than the above. it is really smooth but for what I listen it just take a little too much energy away.

It is hard to tell the high because most of my music collection don't have much high so i don't want to comment

for umamps application UM3X sound much better than IE7 and PFE. with decent amp in hand (not my E5 but all you head-fi's expansive amp) PFE will sound almost good like UM3X so it is a better choice because of the price. there is another guy in the forum sole his UM3X in favor of PFE +E5. as for me I will keep both untill I really need the money for something else. I will sell UM3X if such time come because the resale value is much higher.
After listen to UM3X I don't think I will want to use PFE without an Amp. but with Amp, I love them equally. I already sole my IE7 even before buying UM3X, nothing about the sound signature or quality but isolation is way too important to me (I live next to Post Office hence it is loud in the middle of the night not to mention the busy street and subway of NYC)

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #1,140 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ready to flame me? Here's my heretical answer to your question. There IS no such thing as soundstage. It's an illusion created by the way your brain processes the sounds pumped into it from the IEM. Think about it in loudspeaker terms:
<snip>

Wow. A 10 page post about soundstage, and I don't think you used the word "phase" once in the whole post. Soundstage is all about phase coherence across the frequency range, that and treble extension. Do some research about phase cues and binaural recording. Phase is what allows us to perceive direction in a room even with one ear covered. It's also what allows the perception of space when listening to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back