Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #1,066 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face.gif
Can't agree more, since all my co-workers are calling me geek or crazy for paying 400 for pair of earphones.

My wallet is bleeding here too, so you are not alone. =)

Hey, well some people spend a lot of money on a television. I'd rather spend my money on quality audio gear.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #1,067 of 4,413
Quote:

BA for burn-in? hmm I believe burn-in for BA doesn't make that much difference after 24hours and it's all mental. Since Triples were great right out of box for me

I'll just give UM3X a try and sell them for $40 buck less in a weak or so. Who knows I will prefer UM3X over Triples?

Thank you so much Gameboy! for gsharing your precious opinion/thoughts.
happy_face1.gif

Not at all.

Haha,that is what I believe it at the first place too, I read a lot passage about "BA don't need to burn in".

I used to test each IEM by a few songs repetitively, so I am pretty sure the change happened.

After I bought UM3X a day or two, I left my UM3x connected to my player accidentally for one day, that was first time I noticed treble opened up a little, then I thought why not burning it since UM3X was sitting on my desk all day long as I used to listen at UM3X a while before I went to sleep.

Never mind. Enjoy!!
darthsmile.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #1,068 of 4,413
Quote:

confused_face.gif
Can't agree more, since all my co-workers are calling me geek or crazy for paying 400 for pair of earphones.

My wallet is bleeding here too, so you are not alone. =)

My UM3X purchase is not that bad. I remember when I received my W5000 at work and can't wait to try it, my coworkers said I'm so crazy to spend that much money on a pair of headphone.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #1,069 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, well some people spend a lot of money on a television. I'd rather spend my money on quality audio gear.

I like to spend more on TV too.
evil_smiley.gif
4000 bucks for46 LED, 240Hz Tv is just too much for me

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #1,070 of 4,413
Quote:

Nice, I don't think you will regret your purchase. Owning the UM3X has made me strongly consider upgrading to the ES3X for an improved IEM with the same sound signature. But I am very content with these univerals, I don't feel I need to upgrade my IEMs any time soon.

Edit: Be sure to let us know your impressions!

The thing for me is I don't clearly see how a person working on minimum wage can justify spend huge amounts of dollars on something that will only fit their ears before 2-4 years have lapsed. I almost shed a tear when I hear es3x owners describe their listening experience. I may not be able to experience anything like that for a very long time.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #1,071 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what experienced headphone users have to say about the um3x's forwardness, which some have complained about. I doubt the sound engineers at Westone intended for their product to sound like the singer is yelling in your face, or that he's serenading you...while you're on his lap. I think there must be something else to it; either your ears are just different, or the equipment you're listening through.

Well, we each perceive sound differently, so what might sound bass heavy to me could sound bass shy to someone else. All I know is that the UM3X vocals are much further forward that what sounds natural to my ears. And I do feel the singer is shouting in my face! It's not an exaggeration at all, that's what it sounds like to me.

I hear the vocals as the most dominant aspect. People who like that forward presentation won't understand why others don't like it, or think it's too forward, especially if it sounds perfect to them. But I don't think it's really surprising that some people just aren't going to like the same presentation as others. It's preference, nothing more.

EDIT: I'm listening to high-bitrate files through my Sony X1000. The vocals sound too forward on my Touch and my Sansa Fuze too.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #1,072 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I do feel the singer is shouting in my face! It's not an exaggeration at all, that's what it sounds like to me.

I've understood, after reading these forums a few years back, that we all hear things differently, but never really had a mental picture on the level of difference. Didn't mean to call you out on your opinion. It's just some people do exaggerate their impressions, and readers (especially the newer ones) take almost everything they read as fact. So soozieq, do you plan on keeping your UM3Xs or selling them?

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #1,073 of 4,413
Quote:

I've understood, after reading these forums a few years back, that we all hear things differently, but never really had a mental picture on the level of difference. Didn't mean to call you out on your opinion. It's just some people do exaggerate their impressions, and readers (especially the newer ones) take almost everything they read as fact. So soozieq, do you plan on keeping your UM3Xs or selling them?

Hi, yes, I understand that some people do exaggerate their impressions, but if I was reading this thread as a new member... I'd see that the majority of people don't hear the vocals in the same way as I do, and I would totally ignore my opinion anyway
biggrin.gif

But others who have heard some of the same phones that I have, and have agreed in part to the sound signature, well, they might find my opinion a little more useful... or NOT. LOL!

Oh, and I'm not keeping them. I'm very glad to have heard them though, because I don't have to 'wonder' anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #1,074 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But others who have heard some of the same phones that I have, and have agreed in part to the sound signature, well, they might find my opinion a little more useful... or NOT. LOL!

Yes, I know what you mean. I wish I've had the money and opportunity to test out some of the phones you've tried just so I could better understand more of people's impressions.

Nice...you have a pair of CK100s headed your way. Looking forward to your impressions...you will be posting your impressions right???
smile.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #1,075 of 4,413
Soozieq, I'm curious of what type of music do you listen to? The songs that I favor, the male singer has such a soft and gentle (yet very masculine at the same time, if that makes any sense - and no, he sounds almost nothing like the typical pop male singer) vocal that is perfect for singing certain songs that I really like, especially love songs. I can't imagine his vocal ever sounding shouty no matter how forward it is, simply because of his very smooth, gentle (but very dynamic) singing.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,078 of 4,413
I'm wondering: how many of you are listening to this headphone thru an amp??? I almost always use my Pico with an Imod and I notice huge sonic differences. Have x10 and Ety4p for IEMs. So are these impressions coming from folk who don't use amps???

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #1,079 of 4,413
I've said this before - To these ears, there is better SQ on the ES3X, but some people would think it's almost a life-altering experience type of SQ improvement over the UM3X's. To me, if you've already heard the UM3X's -- in my case getting perfect fit, comfort & great SQ with soft grey tips -- the improvement I get from my ES3X is NOT massive, ie yes, there is improvement, but not to the extent some people might think, and I'm sure honest listeners would admit this as long as they got a good fit on both IEM's - the improvement on the ES3X over the UM3X is NOT exceptional, but then again, what you may call exceptional I may simply call good. Or if I said, for instance, that the ES3X sounded 15% better you might call that exceptional/ extraordinary, and others might just call say 'yeah, sounds (a bit) better'.

In my case that 15% (or whatever %) extra is worth the upgrade and I have no regrets about getting my ES3X's and I do enjoy them immensely but I believe it is NOT worth the more than double the cost to a lot of other people. Already $330-$379 for the UM3X IS a lot of money, that kind of money is already REALLY providing high-end sound.

Now, re: the mids and vocal presentation I may be wrong but I think only soozieq (perhaps one more person?) has actually found the mids/ vocals 'in your face' -- no problem there as we all have our sound preferences. The problem I see is when already new posters say things like 'some people find the UM3X's vocal presentation in your face'. Not everyone reads ALL (specially very long) threads, and comments like that don't help, but I guess that's practically inevitable. These comments then get read by others, and suddenly you read other threads where people start repeating such claims, even using the exact same words and...well, you catch my drift.

I personally find the mids absolutely fantastic and find they're are very very very similar to the ES3X's! -- not yet found people not only not saying the ES3X's vocals/ mids delivery to be 'in your face' but no complaints whatsoever on the whole mid-range. Of course, we mustn't forget all the different tips we all use, ear shapes, and so on. At least with customs there seems to be a more general consensus as to what some customs sound like. The tips I use with my UM3X's provide the SQ which is NOT that far from my ES3X's.

And to these ears the mid-range is second to none (apart from the ES3X's), having owned the SE530's & Westone 3 - but I insist, that's me.

As for the treble, I honestly think 'Thank God there isn't any more there', my ears would not like it, and I get plenty of treble extension on many many good recordings on all genres. However, I could not take the rolled-off highs on the SE530's. With the W3's I found them fatiguing at louder volume levels (specially with Rocc & Pop for more extended listening periods.

Anyway, I'm starting to repeat things I've stated before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back