Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #1,036 of 4,413
Well, my IE8 (replacement, having trod on my first, lol) is nowhere near burned-in to the hours usually recommended, and it arrived as UM3X left.... I would say tho it seems altogether a livelier, bouncier, and coarser beast. Great fun tho! Was out riding with them today & they are wonderful at 25mph! Strangely the treble on my new pair seems more pronounced than on my first. But, early days...

One other thing on UM3X - what I sadly neglected to do was try them with orchestral music...shame - I should of.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #1,037 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my IE8 (replacement, having trod on my first, lol) is nowhere near burned-in to the hours usually recommended, and it arrived as UM3X left.... I would say tho it seems altogether a livelier, bouncier, and coarser beast. Great fun tho! Was out riding with them today & they are wonderful at 25mph! Strangely the treble on my new pair seems more pronounced than on my first. But, early days...

One other thing on UM3X - what I sadly neglected to do was try them with orchestral music...shame - I should of.

You have the same idea as me with IE8. Listening at IE8 is great fun, spacious soundstage and good instrument separation make IE8 as a different beast with other top tier IEM

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #1,038 of 4,413
Hey steviebee

That was a great review. I agree totally about the treble and the soundstage. How did you feel about the vocals? 'Search' is not my friend, so if you already spoke about the vocals, please speak again
biggrin.gif

For me, it's like I'm sitting right on the singer's lap while he invades my personal face lol
beyersmile.png

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #1,039 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey steviebee

That was a great review. I agree totally about the treble and the soundstage. How did you feel about the vocals? 'Search' is not my friend, so if you already spoke about the vocals, please speak again
biggrin.gif

For me, it's like I'm sitting right on the singer's lap while he invades my personal face lol
beyersmile.png

Hi soozieq, have not seen your thought on CK100 after you got on hand on it
wink_face.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #1,040 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi soozieq, have not seen your thought on CK100 after you got on hand on it
wink_face.gif

Haha
biggrin.gif

I haven't spent any quality time with them yet. I'm 'busy' with the UM3X at the moment!

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #1,041 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha
biggrin.gif

I haven't spent any quality time with them yet. I'm 'busy' with the UM3X at the moment!

Glad you spent some quality time with UM3X. Just bought some shure olives and enjoying mine as well
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,042 of 4,413
Did you say CK100?
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

Vocals, no, didn't mention. Lemme see, yes close, but not SE530 'shouty' ( & I'm sorry SE530 lovers, but my ears just never got on with em). But I have never really felt Trip mids were recessed so maybe I just like more laid back mids. UM3X mids, vocals, are closer than I'd like ideally...but I didn't find them quite as bad as I'd feared. If I had to sum up my experience of UM3X in two words they'd be 'nice, polite'.

On my first day with them, btw, they were horrible - I initially tried olives - hated how they sounded with them - and then Ety foamies (better but obtrusive) before simply sticking with the silicons. Of course, that initial impression was heightened perhaps by 'new sound -urrrggghh' syndrome!
And they improved, or my perception of them did, but just not enough to make me leap up and yell hallelujah....

(The mids btw are one very good reason why I would choose UM3X over SE530 if I had to.)

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #1,043 of 4,413
Quote:

Did you say CK100?
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

I most certainly did not......... 'search' is your friend
ph34r.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #1,044 of 4,413
Well, gameboy said it then....tsk, you and your sigs....
ph34r.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #1,046 of 4,413
'Sitting in nosebleed' lol...wonderful!

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #1,048 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Half the isolation fromthe Ety's comes from jamming the tip halfway to your brain and the Westone's just do not lend themselves to this
biggrin.gif

You're lucky to have a brain. I tired this with an IEM and the tip came out the other side because there was nothing in between to stop it!

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #1,049 of 4,413
Had mine about a week now - still love them.

As per advice I cut the stems on the modded tri-flanges I had to make the UM3X fit more flush with my ear. Thanks heaps to bakhtiar! Now the fit is pretty much perfect. The driver housing comes so close to touching the outside of my ear, but doesn't. I think I've got them in exactly the right position.

They are so comfortable! I can wear them all day. I used to think my Super Fi 5 Pro's were pretty good, although the tops of my ears would hurt after a few hours use from the cable looping over them. But I can literally wear my UM3Xs all day with not a hint of a problem.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #1,050 of 4,413
Quote:

Wasn't my intention previously to post in this thread (out of flame suits, lol) but seeing yr post, just wanted to add my limited experience of UM3X.
Bear in mind, I've not come from Triple Fi 10 to UM3X, but I recently borrowed a pair for one week (thx soozieq!). I am a big fan of Triple Fi (there, I said it - bias is now fully exposed!) but I hope that doesn't mean I'm not open to hearing/finding an IEM that surpasses them. TBH, UM3X wasn't that for me. It is a very good (as in very good) IEM - I would hands down take UM3X any day over SE530, were that my option. But, regards Triple v UM, my feelings were thus, and centred mainly on two points:

1 UM3X for me had a closed in soundstage. Triple Fi were like a huge spatial 'window' in comparison, to my ears. UM3X sounded to me like being in a fairly small-to-moderate sized room (reminded me of ER-4 at first, but UM3X is better soundstage-wise than the Etys, I decided). The impact of this was that in, say, Ozric Tentacles, sounds moving around the headspace were much more spatially active with Triple Fi, moving in depth from top right to lower left, or whatever...I just didn't have, to my ears, that sense of speed, space or 3D movement with the Westone. Detail placed far out on the soundstage was closer in. Separation was very good tho, to be fair...

2 The treble of UM3X, despite being laudable compared to SE530, just didn't have that extra bite/edge/zing: cymbals were not as metallic as they should be (an offbeat pattern in Porcupine Tree's Metanoia just didn't clang when he hit the bell of the ride, thus didn't cut through enough as an obviously slightly discordant offbeat). Similarly, with Black Uhuru, a repeating, insistent, nagging cowbell playing against the rhythm just didn't carry that nagging feeling - it was just a nice effect in the background. With Triple Fi, both the cymbal and the cowbell stood out where they should be, as important parts of the production. It was all a bit too 'polite' with UM3X if I may describe it that way.

However, I do have to say that during my time with UM3X, I grew to like them more than at first (natch) and that I did have a problem successfully getting a good lasting seal in my right ear, so read the above with that in mind. However, a slight lack of seal appears to be beneficial sometimes (in the case of IE8s, say) so I don't think that would necessarily make my impressions too skewed, in terms of soundstage at any rate. An open bud like OK1, or on-ear like KSC75, has a wonderfully wide SS, after all.

I thought UM3X bass was commendable -very nice, deep, clean. As I got used to them I could understand why people love them -very balanced, very smooth, creamy, nice. They certainly made my ER-4P sound more than a bit hard & harsh at the top end.

Would I now buy UM3X to replace Triple Fi? Sorry, no. I'm still looking for that particular IEM. Unless of course, I've already found it. And it's metallic blue. In which case.....gawd...customs.

Sorry for the long ramble. Good luck with your choices. You really cannot go wrong with either - & as you already have Triple Fi dialed, I would suggest you give UM3X a little while to settle in. Some UM3X lovers may say a week wasn't long enough but, hey...each to their own!

I'll be very interested to hear your impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Steviebee!

Thank you very much for your great review. Thank you, Thank you!

More I read your opinion, more I regret that I bought UM3X.
Soundstage and treble energy of Triples are the main reason I choose Triples over SE530, SA6, Q-Jays and ER4-P.

Sigh... Should I just sell unopened box? Or should I at least give it a try?

I bought UM3X because I read many positive reviews that they are very balanced. Smooth high (less treble energy, and non-fatiguing for hours), very sweet and forwarded mid (although some find it’s in-your face) and decent bass that is controlled and not boomy. (some says bass on UM3X is better than SE530 and I think SE530 excels on bass department in quantity not quality. I prefer Triples’ bass which is punchy and well controlled)

I thought sweet presentation on mid department of UM3X could be the one that I waited for.
I don't find Triples are lack on mid, but they are laid back compared to other signature, and even though I like it that way, moving up front couple seat more front at the concert would not be hurt.
If UM3X's mid are "In your face" like other says, I wouldn’t like it at all, since it’s going to ruin the presentation of imagining the instrument and singers in head stage.

Like SoozieQ said, I don’t want to seat on laps of singers.

Sacrifice on treble department is also not an option for me since treble energy of triples is main reason I love my Triples. I never thought high on Trips are harsh or piercing but fun and accurate to my ears......

Argg... dilemma here…

I don’t find Triples are that uncomfortable, since I never had problem with fit or seal. However I can use little more comfort when I am sleeping.

Sacrifice on soundstage and recessed high compared to Triples, then Trips are keeper for me.
I chose sound signature over comfort since I sold my q-jays, which was the most comfortable IEMS I ever tried.

Well, If I have to sell un-opened box, how much should I sell it for!@#!@# -_-;;

Help~~~~!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back