Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #1,052 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have TF10Pro and really like it a lot but I find UM3X superior. The veiled midrange of TFPro is a flaw. UM3X has no weakness in any range.

Dear Spyro, I know you loved your Triples. and now you are saying UM3X are superior.

Would you kindly comapre treble department and soundstage of Triples and UM3X?

I do not find midrange of trips are veiled. I think U-shaped character of Triple does make the imaging of music more spatial to my ear.

Some say Triples are colored for fun and engaging, not neutral.

I don't care about neutral, since Triples are so much fun and engaging enough.

Thank you very much for your help in the process!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #1,053 of 4,413
Joy Energizer - Heck I'd at least hear the UM's...your reactions/impressions may not match mine, even if we do apparently share the same view/love of the particular qualities Triple Fi bring to the table...Give them a go - at least then you can say you've heard UM3X and given them a shake, so to speak
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #1,054 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steviebee!

Thank you very much for your great review. Thank you, Thank you!

More I read your opinion, more I regret that I bought UM3X.
Soundstage and treble energy of Triples are the main reason I choose Triples over SE530, SA6, Q-Jays and ER4-P.

Sigh... Should I just sell unopened box? Or should I at least give it a try?

I bought UM3X because I read many positive reviews that they are very balanced. Smooth high (less treble energy, and non-fatiguing for hours), very sweet and forwarded mid (although some find it’s in-your face) and decent bass that is controlled and not boomy. (some says bass on UM3X is better than SE530 and I think SE530 excels on bass department in quantity not quality. I prefer Triples’ bass which is punchy and well controlled)

I thought sweet presentation on mid department of UM3X could be the one that I waited for.
I don't find Triples are lack on mid, but they are laid back compared to other signature, and even though I like it that way, moving up front couple seat more front at the concert would not be hurt.
If UM3X's mid are "In your face" like other says, I wouldn’t like it at all, since it’s going to ruin the presentation of imagining the instrument and singers in head stage.

Like SoozieQ said, I don’t want to seat on laps of singers.

Sacrifice on treble department is also not an option for me since treble energy of triples is main reason I love my Triples. I never thought high on Trips are harsh or piercing but fun and accurate to my ears......

Argg... dilemma here…

I don’t find Triples are that uncomfortable, since I never had problem with fit or seal. However I can use little more comfort when I am sleeping.

Sacrifice on soundstage and recessed high compared to Triples, then Trips are keeper for me.
I chose sound signature over comfort since I sold my q-jays, which was the most comfortable IEMS I ever tried.

Well, If I have to sell un-opened box, how much should I sell it for!@#!@# -_-;;

Help~~~~!!!

People have been saying over and over that the um3x does give treble at least a bit less treble presence than the triple.fi; and that the triple.fi provide a broader soundstage, in terms of size, while sacrificing 'intimacy'.

Though I've never owned an iem, I've been studying these threads like a textbook. The consensus so far is that um3x has about the same quality, in terms of treble, as the triple.fi, with just less treble volume (loudness, energy, presense, whatever you audiophiles want to call it). It seems no matter how much of a basshead or treblehead you are, your brain always finds natural, balanced sound more easy to listen to, and so you can listen to it much longer before fatigue sets in. So it's a balancing act... do you want 'fun' sound for a few hours, or more natural sound for a few/lot more? By the way, 'fun' sounding doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyable than natural sounding is the gist of what many people are saying.

Ultimately, if you really really enjoy listening to vocals, um3x fans will nudge at you and yell at you to get the um3x over the triple.fi. This is all the general impression I got from these threads. I hope it's accurate.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #1,055 of 4,413
Quote:

Dear Spyro, I know you loved your Triples. and now you are saying UM3X are superior.

Would you kindly comapre treble department and soundstage of Triples and UM3X?

I do not find midrange of trips are veiled. I think U-shaped character of Triple does make the imaging of music more spatial to my ear.

Some say Triples are colored for fun and engaging, not neutral.

I don't care about neutral, since Triples are so much fun and engaging enough.

Thank you very much for your help in the process!
bigsmile_face.gif

If you like to give it a try, you have to at least burn it 150-200 hours based on my personal experience. My um3x is now over 250 hours, the change after burn in is clarity increase, the vocal being far away( or it is because the vocal become redefined), soundstage increase, treble fairly open up. I will see the change is significant.

Of course, the shrill coming from treble is nowhere near to er4p, even IE8. If you prefer spacious soundstage and nice trble, you better not open it .

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #1,056 of 4,413
I have a question for listeners who own the um3x and se530 (or have owned the se530). So se530 is supposed to the top of the line mids quality, as far as universal monitors goes. Would you say the um3x is very, very close? Let me make an open-ended question: how would you describe their differences in terms of mids?

Thank you.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #1,057 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joy Energizer - Heck I'd at least hear the UM's...your reactions/impressions may not match mine, even if we do apparently share the same view/love of the particular qualities Triple Fi bring to the table...Give them a go - at least then you can say you've heard UM3X and given them a shake, so to speak
smily_headphones1.gif

Amen, I'll give them a go. Please tell me your Lune cable is better than stock.
I am not a fan of UE custom cable since it doesnt sit flush and it widens the plug-in holes and stock cable will be loose-fit after use custom cables for triples.

Thank you and love you for all your generous help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People having saying over and over that the um3x does give treble at least a bit less treble presence than the triple.fi; and that the triple.fi provide a broader soundstage, in terms of size, while sacrificing 'intimacy'.

Though I've never owned an iem, I've been studying these threads like a textbook. The consensus so far is that um3x has about the same quality, in terms of treble, as the triple.fi, with just less treble volume (loudness, energy, presense, whatever you audiophiles want to call it). It seems no matter how much of a basshead or treblehead you are, your brain always finds natural, balanced sound more easy to listen to, and so you can listen to it much longer before fatigue sets in. So it's a balancing act... do you want 'fun' sound for a few hours, or more natural sound for a few/lot more? By the way, 'fun' sounding doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyable than natural sounding is the gist of what many people are saying.

Ultimately, if you really really enjoy listening to vocals, um3x fans will nudge at you and yell at you to get the um3x over the triple.fi. This is all the general impression I got from these threads. I hope it's accurate.

Well.. thank you for the lecture and I agree with you. didn't mean to bother you with my questioning.

It's not like I do not understand of personal preference, when it comes to listening, and describing what you hear.
First of all i never found Triples to be fatiguing at all. I can listen to them for 5 hours non-stop with out fatiguing.

I'll decide and share my experience once I get UM3X this week. I was bit over-reacting since I spend the money that i wasn't planned to.

either one has to leave me anyways. and Thank you all for your help again.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #1,058 of 4,413
I wonder what experienced headphone users have to say about the um3x's forwardness, which some have complained about. I doubt the sound engineers at Westone intended for their product to sound like the singer is yelling in your face, or that he's serenading you...while you're on his lap. I think there must be something else to it; either your ears are just different, or the equipment you're listening through.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #1,059 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like to give it a try, you have to at least burn it 150-200 hours based on my personal experience. My um3x is now over 250 hours, the change after burn in is clarity increase, the vocal being far away( or it is because the vocal become redefined), soundstage increase, treble fairly open up. I will see the change is significant.

Of course, the shrill coming from treble is nowhere near to er4p, even IE8. If you prefer spacious soundstage and nice trble, you better not open it .

BA for burn-in? hmm I believe burn-in for BA doesn't make that much difference after 24hours and it's all mental. Since Triples were great right out of box for me

I'll just give UM3X a try and sell them for $40 buck less in a weak or so. Who knows I will prefer UM3X over Triples?

Thank you so much Gameboy! for gsharing your precious opinion/thoughts.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #1,060 of 4,413
Quote:

Well.. thank you for the lecture and I agree with you. didn't mean to bother you with my questioning.

Not at all. Why would questioning bother me... that's what forums are for. I hope you like what you're hearing from your "new toy".
smile.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #1,061 of 4,413
Damn you Head-Fi, After reading so many brain washing posts I just ordered UM3X. Now my wallet is bleeding in pain and friends call me crazy. you ruin my wallet and my reputations.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #1,062 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what experienced headphone users have to say about the um3x's forwardness, which some have complained about. I doubt the sound engineers at Westone intended for their product to sound like the singer is yelling in your face, or that he's serenading you...while you're on his lap. I think there must be something else to it; either your ears are just different, or the equipment you're listening through.

Well Westone markets the UM3X mainly as musician monitors. And I have to disagree about it sounding like the vocals are "yelling in your face." That is too much of an exaggeration.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #1,063 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn you Head-Fi, After reading so many brain washing posts I just ordered UM3X. Now my wallet is bleeding in pain and friends call me crazy. you ruin my wallet and my reputations.

Who needs a reputation, and who needs a fuller wallet???

Uhh, okay...

Who needs a reputation??

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #1,064 of 4,413
Quote:

confused_face.gif
Can't agree more, since all my co-workers are calling me geek or crazy for paying 400 for pair of earphones.

My wallet is bleeding here too, so you are not alone. =)

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #1,065 of 4,413
Quote:

Nice, I don't think you will regret your purchase. Owning the UM3X has made me strongly consider upgrading to the ES3X for an improved IEM with the same sound signature. But I am very content with these univerals, I don't feel I need to upgrade my IEMs any time soon.

Edit: Be sure to let us know your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back