Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #1,741 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mostly agree on this. I like RE0 too - it has several remarkable achievements, but whole picture is not good enough.

I think bass of RE0 is not that deep(and not prominent enough), Midrange is somehow recessed, and they are totally have no soundstage at all. Dynamic range of UM3X is much better. Overall I prefer UM3X by a big margin.

oh the bass is deep on them, but there isnt a lot of it, thats why i really thing they need bass boosted and im certainly no bass junky

fiio'd the RE0 are really impressive and even more so given thier budget pricetag

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #1,742 of 4,413
HI,

i want buy Shure Olive for UM3X. I have Westone 3 and i use comlpy tips short. So which size is the same of Olive (Medium or Small) like Short Comply??

thanx

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #1,743 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Painful? You might need re-fitting. Anyway try it for couple of weeks to see whether the pain is going away.

So, how the UM56s improve sound ?
smily_headphones1.gif

(I know, there will be some of us are very tempting to get the custom sleeves or the custom IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thank you.

this is what notice,

soundstage widens abit
bass hits deeper? not really sure but it moves away from me when decay.
background sound is slightly better heard
mids are brighter, more forward
adds a little sparkle to the highs
music instruments spreads wider spectrum

well, it does sounded more like JH5pro demo i tried recently. haha. next stop, customs? maybe later year. wallet hurting much and need an amp for my lousy itouch 1g.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very easy to put them in backwards, so beware.

thanks. its pretty ok now. The pain has to do with my ear canal, think they are very sensitive. fits better without the lubrication oto ease, still have one packet. not sure I need it maybe I could use another similar lubrication which I have for something else.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #1,744 of 4,413
the size of the Comply tip short that came with UM3X has the diameter in between small and medium olive. since it is much softer. I think it is more comparable with small olive. I use neither because they are to short to sit correctly in my ear.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #1,745 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the size of the Comply tip short that came with UM3X has the diameter in between small and medium olive. since it is much softer. I think it is more comparable with small olive. I use neither because they are to short to sit correctly in my ear.

Olive tips are shorts all small medium and Large than comply???thanx so much

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #1,746 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Olive tips are shorts all small medium and Large than comply???thanx so much

I mean the Comply short tip is slightly larger than small olive yet smaller than medium olive. so I suggest you try small olive first. see image for comparison. this should clear things up
from left to right: Slim P-tip, small olive, short comply (UM3X), medium olive, standard/large P-tip
P1040733.JPG

P1040734.JPG

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #1,747 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the RE3 pre-production model at a local meet. Does anyone know how these two compare?

My experience with the re3 out of the hp-out of the mack book was just okay, no wow. I don't know whether it was the CD I was listening to, or the hp-out, but I it didn't make me want to go and spend even $200 (i don't know the actual price on these) on them at all. Perhaps I should've brought CDs, or mp3s, that I actually enjoy. I was underprepared for the meet, unfortunately. Anyways, I think tsarn owns the re3.

Yes, I do have a pair of RE3 and on balance, they are an extension of the RE lineup, which means excellent detail, strong mids and treble, but bass, even for me (no basshead at all) needs to be EQ'd to have impact. Example: I have my Sony A818 at +3 on clear bass with the RE3. I also have had fit problems, as none of the OEM sleeves, even the bi-flanges, give me a good seal. I use the Sony hybrids. Once the EQ is adjusted, the RE3s are a nice, airy IEM, but nowhere near the impact of the UM3X in my view. I don't find the UM3X dark at all, but just my view.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,748 of 4,413
Man-o-man. Just as I was about to pull the trigger on a set of W3s..... UM3X comes along. NOW WHAT!!!!!! LOL I wish I could find a place to hear them both A/B style. Seems the UM3X is all the W3 is.... only more of it? HMMMmmmmmmm

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #1,749 of 4,413
If you like treble very much, then you might skip UM3Xs for others, IMHO. But if really want some changes in your listening preferences, then the UM3Xs are very good candidate.

But, the treble of UM3Xs also very nice, just less harsher and well controlled than my other 'bright' IEMs, the PFEs.

TQ.

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #1,750 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by shredder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man-o-man. Just as I was about to pull the trigger on a set of W3s..... UM3X comes along. NOW WHAT!!!!!! LOL I wish I could find a place to hear them both A/B style. Seems the UM3X is all the W3 is.... only more of it? HMMMmmmmmmm

Having owned both, all I can say is if the W3s fit you without a hassle, using any of the shorter tips, and no sibilance, excellent phones. But more treble focused than the UM3X. However, I find the UM3X treble to be there and not recessed, just not as sparkly as other phones perhaps. But again, not recessed.

Owning both permanently would be ideal, but I found out that the UM3X is the better all-purpose IEM.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #1,751 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned both, all I can say is if the W3s fit you without a hassle, using any of the shorter tips, and no sibilance, excellent phones. But more treble focused than the UM3X. However, I find the UM3X treble to be there and not recessed, just not as sparkly as other phones perhaps. But again, not recessed.

Owning both permanently would be ideal, but I found out that the UM3X is the better all-purpose IEM.

I do own both permanently and I have A/B tested them for over a month. I agree with your description and most of the sound signature descriptions of both IEM's that I have read in the numerous threads. However having said that, I believe that I like the W3's more than the UM3X's. I guess that it's just a subjective preference thing. I have had the W3's longer, so maybe my opinion will change with time...

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #1,752 of 4,413
I know what you mean, but to me, the UM3X is more of an all-around performer, and the W3 more of a specialty performer, if that makes any sense. I can only afford one, so I chose the all-around phone. Either one would make me happy, but I am glad I made the move, cause I got tired of the tri-flange as my only effective tip. Just too much pressure on the inner ear. Much nicer with the Klipsch gel. And the sound is also excellent.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #1,753 of 4,413
tstarn06-

I see you have owned the Klipsch Custom 3s in the past...... can you elaborate a bit on the comparison from the Custom 3s to the Westone 3 or UM3X? I suppose what I'm looking for is a memory comparison.... not as good, about the same quality of sound, better, way better kind of opinion. I currently am using the Custom 3s and that would be my first comparison of good iems.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,754 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by shredder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06-

I see you have owned the Klipsch Custom 3s in the past...... can you elaborate a bit on the comparison from the Custom 3s to the Westone 3 or UM3X? I suppose what I'm looking for is a memory comparison.... not as good, about the same quality of sound, better, way better kind of opinion. I currently am using the Custom 3s and that would be my first comparison of good iems.

ive got the custom 3 and the um3 now im no lover of the um3 but they are simply a level above the custom 3. wherthey wou love the sound sig changes or not your ears will hear the um3 are simply better.

not like a vast improvement but its quite noticeable across the board in terms of detail and precision particularly in the treble

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #1,755 of 4,413
To be honest, I never liked the Custom 3s much, and sold them to keep the X10s, which I have also shed recently. So I really can't remember much in terms of a comparison. I see Mark gave you his perspective. He doesn't care much for the UM3X, but says it's clearly better than the Custom 3. That will tell you something, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back