Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 15, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #1,771 of 4,413
Cool. So Westones, Klipsche and Shure have interchangeable tips?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jowens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They slide right on the Westones, and have been very secure for the 2 weeks I have been using them.

No issues for me at all. Really like the sound compared the the other options I have tried.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #1,773 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. So Westones, Klipsche and Shure have interchangeable tips?

Not quite. I tried the Klipsch gels with the Westone 3s, and no go. Didn't care for them at all. But they do work well with the UM3X, which has a longer sound tube than the W3s. But Shure yellow foamies and soft grey flex sleeves to work with both phones, as I have both and they also fit. But so far, I also like the Klipsch gels with the UM3X. I also have a pair of thin Complys that came with the Westone 3s I might try. I have a ton of tips that work with the UM3X, which is also a reason why I switched from the Westone 3s.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #1,774 of 4,413
I definitely liked the design of the UM series. Why they changed it for W3 - I don't know.

I happen to like the shure olives best. The complys are cozy, but based on my experience with the UHPs, they don't last long so I'll use them as backups. I'm assuming the Gels will last long like the silicons? The olives are holding up nicely, but they are feeling pretty soft now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite. I tried the Klipsch gels with the Westone 3s, and no go. Didn't care for them at all. But they do work well with the UM3X, which has a longer sound tube than the W3s. But Shure yellow foamies and soft grey flex sleeves to work with both phones, as I have both and they also fit. But so far, I also like the Klipsch gels with the UM3X. I also have a pair of thin Complys that came with the Westone 3s I might try. I have a ton of tips that work with the UM3X, which is also a reason why I switched from the Westone 3s.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #1,776 of 4,413
lol. tell me about it. the um56 should last awhile, but that depends on how fast your ears grow.
duggehsmile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the gels are like silicones, long shelf life, and the black ones show no dirt at all. I will probably get the UM56s in the next few months, though, and end this tip shell game.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #1,777 of 4,413
A have ordered a pair of UM3X this week and they should be here in a couple of days. They were cleared from customs yesterday evening (I live in Europe).

Can't wait to listen to them! Based on all the raving reviews around here it should be very sweet.
bigsmile_face.gif
I sure hope they are as comfortable as most people say because my ears aren't that happy with my old Shure E3's anymore.

Of course I'll write my impressions down in this topic.

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #1,778 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. What depressed me (just a bit
biggrin.gif
) though is the chance that I'll receive a pair with the notorious vibration issue.

I hope Westone will be willing to replace mine if it is indeed plagued with that problem. Powerhound confirmed that they are authorized but I still fear that Westone will deny me warranty services simply because it's from Ebay. I certainly hope not. But still...Brings a tear to my eye if they won't.

I listen to mostly indie/experimental/alternative music. (Xiu Xiu / Panda Bear / Have a Nice Life / Pineapple Thief / Parenthetical Girls / Interpol.) I hope it's suitable for those types of music.

If you get a faulty set within 30 days from purchase date, the seller must give you a replacement unit. If it's after 30 days, Westone will do so, and they'll honour the warranty if purchased from eBay and it's an authorised dealer -- that's what happened to me, and that's what I was told directly from Westone; the eBay seller I bought them from promptly sent me a fully working new set, no questions asked.

And even if they weren't purchased from an authorised dealer, Westone's excellent CS service would very likely NOT let you down.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #1,779 of 4,413
I think I have followed this thread through every page and I do not recall even a single person that has sent back or sold their UM3X because they did not care for it. Seems people hang onto it more than almost any other universal. Shows how great it is!

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #1,780 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get a faulty set within 30 days from purchase date, the seller must give you a replacement unit. If it's after 30 days, Westone will do so, and they'll honour the warranty if purchased from eBay and it's an authorised dealer -- that's what happened to me, and that's what I was told directly from Westone; the eBay seller I bought them from promptly sent me a fully working new set, no questions asked.

And even if they weren't purchased from an authorised dealer, Westone's excellent CS service would very likely NOT let you down.

Thanks very much for that assurance. I hope my pair works as it should. Should arrive this Tuesday.

So far, Road Dog Online has given me nothing short of sublime service. (Had personal experience with B&H/J&R/Amazon/other Ebay sellers). I ordered Friday at 3:46. Tracking number was given to me 4:48. One freakin hour later.
Probably the fastest service I've ever had the pleasure of encountering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #1,781 of 4,413
I couldn't detect any kind of distortion using the EQ with the SE420. For the W3s - I usually have it flat, but I don't recall any adverse affects. try +5 (or 4) for each of the bars - and adjust from there. I just had my ears checked and everything is good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I do not use EQ with my Clip as it muddles the sound quite a bit. I do plan on acquiring the Sony x1060 that's fortunately equipped with a decent EQ system.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #1,783 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hear a "zzz" sound spike(on and off) with my left side after some playing time. is it faulty?

Sounds like it, I've never had that happen before.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #1,784 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are wonderful phones. I really enjoyed the UM2's when I had them, and missed them until I got the UM3X which has a more balanced sound in all frequencies, in addition of having the same super comfortable shells as its older brother. One thing I really like about them is their clear sound and at the same time their non fatiguing characteristics, which allowed me to wear them for hours without discomfort (neither physical or hearing wise).

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think you can go wrong with phones from westone - but you have to realise what sound signature you need. the um2 remain one of my favourites to this day despite their sibilant highs. the um3x i have yet to hear but look forward to that day.

On comfort, design and cord the UM2 is awesome. But the ESW9 has made me realise there is this new level. I am going back around to the idea of a new IEM but I want deeper and more controlled bass than the bloatiness of the UM2. Many mention it but though the treble of the UM2 may be slightly sibilant, it has never really bothered me

The only IEM I have been able to try is the IE8, but that overdone bass is not for me

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #1,785 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like it, I've never had that happen before.

geez... i wish the defect could be more worse. its a on and off thing so not sure whether i can get it replace what so ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back