Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #1,756 of 4,413
not that i dislike the custom 3 or anything but the custom 3 simply isnt a top tier IEM and the UM3 is

in the same way i recognise the IE8 as being better than the IE7 but it doesnt mean id sooner listen to the 8 all day over the 7.

however if you like the custom 3 then there is nothing so offensive to the ears on the um3 with the right source to make u not be able to appreciate its betterness. the sound sig on the custom works better i think for me but side by side your ears will be able to tell why the um3 cost a lot more

think merc V's maybach, nothing wrong really with the merc but the maybach is just on that even higher level

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,757 of 4,413
I own both the Custom 3's and have had the UM3X's for a couple days now and they are certainly on a different levels.

The Custom 3's mids and highs are strong but the UM3x just has much superior separation of instruments. Bass wise the UM3X's have really tight punchy bass that really has grown on me and makes me appreciate them even after I was complaining about the bass out of the box versus my FX500's. If someone was attempting to decide between the Custom 3's and the UM3X's I would definitely recommend the UM3X's.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #1,758 of 4,413
My God, My God, My God. Just pressed the Buy it Now button. Purchased from Road Dog Online for $339 which was confirmed by Powerhound to be an authorized reseller. My first big headphone purchase. Holy crap guys. The reviews better be accurate and this thing better sound good.

For all your sakes.
biggrin.gif

Next step: the Walkman x1060.
beerchug.gif
Just as soon as my wallet recuperates, that is.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,759 of 4,413
sorry for your wallet, too bad you already purchase it, else since you are in NJ, you can come over to try mine before purchase it. oh well
UM3X is a warm IEM hope that is what you looking for.
For music i listen (Asian Pop) PFE will sound better because it is much brighter. however too bright to listen to it all day long. which is why I now spend more time with UM3X.
Your next is walkman X1060, mine is UM56. head-fi is evil place making us spending so much on music equipment while rest of the world are satisfied by Apple iBud and spend their money on cigarette and alcohol.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,760 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for your wallet, too bad you already purchase it, else since you are in NJ, you can come over to try mine before purchase it. oh well
For music i listen (Asian Pop) PFE will sound better because it is much brighter. however too bright to listen to it all day long. which is why I now spend more time with UM3X.
Your next is walkman X1060, mine is UM56. head-fi is evil place making us spending so much on music equipment while rest of the world are satisfied by Apple iBud and spend their money on cigarette and alcohol.

Thanks. What depressed me (just a bit
biggrin.gif
) though is the chance that I'll receive a pair with the notorious vibration issue.

I hope Westone will be willing to replace mine if it is indeed plagued with that problem. Powerhound confirmed that they are authorized but I still fear that Westone will deny me warranty services simply because it's from Ebay. I certainly hope not. But still...Brings a tear to my eye if they won't.

I listen to mostly indie/experimental/alternative music. (Xiu Xiu / Panda Bear / Have a Nice Life / Pineapple Thief / Parenthetical Girls / Interpol.) I hope it's suitable for those types of music.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #1,761 of 4,413
What is PFE?

I google it and it's a stock for drug company.

Yes, the UM3X is warm in comparison or the W3 is bright in comparison. I'm sure wherever your personal tastes fall, the EQ on the clip can help bridge that gap - if any.

Today, I listed to the W3 and turned off the treble. When I returned to the flat EQ, it sounded too bright. It basically comes down to what I'm used to for the day lol.

If you don't like the UM3X at first, it will most likely grow on you - so give it a couple days. On most tracks, I couldn't discern the difference in bass performance between the UM3X and W3, but there are a few exceptions which is why most folks conclude that the W3 has more bass as it might be noticeable on some tracks.

The elusive highs is what had me puzzled. Maybe this is what puts it in the 'monitoring' category? If I'm performing on stage, the tempo/beat, key, and volume are probably the most important dimensions of sound to keep me in tune and sync with the band and myself, not HF (although the timbre of the maracas and triangle might be compromised). The cowbell, however, would sound glorious.

I tried EQing the highs to the max, but there is definitely a limit to the high freq response. Don't get me wrong. No one is losing out on SQ if you can't make your phones start to sizzle.

Quote:

sorry for your wallet, too bad you already purchase it, else since you are in NJ, you can come over to try mine before purchase it. oh well UM3X is a warm IEM hope that is what you looking for.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #1,762 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is PFE?

Yes, the UM3X is warm in comparison or the W3 is bright in comparison. I'm sure wherever your personal tastes fall, the EQ on the clip can help bridge that gap - if any.

Today, I listed to the W3 and turned off the treble. When I returned to the flat EQ, it sounded too bright. It basically comes down to what I'm used to for the day lol.

If you don't like the UM3X at first, it will most likely grow on you - so give it a couple days. On most tracks, I couldn't discern the difference in bass performance between the UM3X and W3, but there are a few exceptions which is why most folks conclude that the W3 has more bass as it might be noticeable on some tracks.

The elusive highs is what had me puzzled. Maybe this is what puts it in the 'monitoring' category? If I'm performing on stage, the tempo/beat, key, and volume are probably the most important dimensions of sound to keep me in tune and sync with the band and myself, not HF (although the timbre of the maracas and triangle might be compromised). The cowbell, however, would sound glorious.

I tried EQing the highs to the max, but there is definitely a limit to the high freq response. Don't get me wrong. No one is losing out on SQ if you can't make your phones start to sizzle.

Was the PFE comment sarcastic or an actual question? If the latter, look here:

AudéoWorld PFE Shopping Cart

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #1,763 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is PFE?

The lack of treble energy also has me worried a bit. It's obviously best matched with DAPs that emphasize treble most of all. The Cowon D2, for example.

Unfortunately, I do not use EQ with my Clip as it muddles the sound quite a bit. I do plan on acquiring the Sony x1060 that's fortunately equipped with a decent EQ system.

Next step prior to acquiring the 1060 though is tip selection. UM56 is a no go for me right now so I'll have to look elsewhere.

BTW: PFE refers to the Phonak PFEs.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #1,764 of 4,413
Quote:

Who says I can't have my head-fi evil and drink it too!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #1,765 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jowens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I bought a set directly from Klipsch - $12.99 shipped and they arrived in about 3 days. The large are perfect, which is surprising. I use mediums in everything else.

Is [./this] what you're talking about?

The photos make it seem like they're flattened pancake-like discs.
icon10.gif
Could be my screen/browser combo though.

Is there a package deal in which every size is included?

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #1,766 of 4,413
marl2410 and tstarn06 - Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'm in for it. Gotta give em a shot. I'll be paring them to a ibasso D10 with rolled opamps & buffers / iriver optical out combo (sometimes ipod). The Custom 3s sound sweet now, I can't wait to give a listen!!!!!

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #1,767 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon10.gif

They come squished in a small zip lock. They instantly pop up and fit like they should when you put them on your iem. The large is the ticket for me, but I'm a medium or smaller with the olive tips - to give ya a sizing idea.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #1,768 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon10.gif

Yes, those are the ones I am using. The large is perfect for me too, but I have normal sized canals. YMMV. I don't think they sell a sample pack.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #1,769 of 4,413
Thanks. Just noticed this comment on that page I linked:

Quote:

Note: These have a retention ring designed to fit exclusively with Klipsch headphones. We do not recommend use with other brands.

Does one have to mod the gels in any way so that it could fit the UM3X?

Many thanks.

Also an update on the Road Dog Online merchant....They already sent me a tracking number. Only 2-3 hours after purchasing from their Ebay store. What sublime service. I'll update my impressions with them once I actually receive the phones.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #1,770 of 4,413
They slide right on the Westones, and have been very secure for the 2 weeks I have been using them.

No issues for me at all. Really like the sound compared the the other options I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back