Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #1,727 of 4,413
@bakhtiar. Thanks, and no, haevn't tried the modded triple flanges yet. So many tips to try, but I am pretty set on the UM56 sleeves come the end of the year. For now, I will try them all, but it's going to be tough to beat the Klipsch gels for sound/comfort ratio, but who knows? The tri-flanges are just so massive, but great seal/iso.

I am really enjoying the Amp3/UM3X combo. Again, some hiss, nothing horrible, but when the right tracks come on, it's great.

Don't miss the PFEs that much, since it has eliminated using an amp (I have only the Amp3 and the lowly E3 in my amp arsenal now).

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #1,728 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jowens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I bought a set directly from Klipsch - $12.99 shipped and they arrived in about 3 days. The large are perfect, which is surprising. I use mediums in everything else.

Same here re the large size. I hardly ever use large, but it must be the way they seal the entire ear canal, while the mediums might go too deep, etc. Not sure. Did you try the mediums too? My guess is depth is a problem.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #1,729 of 4,413
Yes I did try the mediums. They did not seem to seal well, meaning they just did not seem large enough to make a good seal like other tips I have used. Funny thing is the mediums increased the bass by a good margin to the point of being too much.

This may be because I felt like I had to insert them deeply.

The large block the ear canal fully, do a nice job of attenuating external noise, and do not have the bass isuse the mediums did.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #1,730 of 4,413
Has anyone heard both RE0 and UM3X? How big of an improvement is it?

I've been itching to buy the W3 but am now looking into the UM3X for comparison's sake.

However, my concern is... my RE0 is very balanced/neutral, will it be too much of the same thing if I got the UM3X? I was thinking the W3 as a good pair w/ the RE0 because they offer opposite sound signatures (colored vs neutral).

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #1,733 of 4,413
the re0 have more treble and its better, light and airy and can shimmer in a way i think only dynamics can get totally right everything on the RE0 feel light where the um3 feels so heavy and has a darkness to it. the bass is deep on the RE0 but has none of the volume punch and power that it has on the um3

the RE0 is delicate and beautiful and light

the um3 feels dark and powerful

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #1,734 of 4,413
So I've had my UM3X's for about three days and have put some significant time in them and am very pleased. While I still do miss the bass from the FX500's it is more than adequate and the trade off in the separation and just overall quality in almost every other area make up for it many times over.

I've been digging through the thread and it seems like an even divide exists between whether these IEM's should be run unamped vs. amped. I just picked up a cheap Leckerton Audio UHA-3 for use in the office and really can't tell a difference so I was a bit curious as if some more high-end amps would be worth it. I see the D10, P-51, SR-71 listed amongst others and was doing some research on these and since at work I primarily play my music from a Late 2008 Macbook Pro I was hoping to pick up an amp/DAC combo but I hear a ton of praise for the P-51 and am seriously considering picking this up and waiting to get a decent DAC to pair with my Macbook. Any suggestions?

Also I am extremely tempted to get some UM56's after all the praise they have received in this thread.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #1,735 of 4,413
Go for the DAC.

D10 via SPDIF (TOSLINK) is very very nice
smily_headphones1.gif
. Compared to USB, the SPDIF offers very clean and no noise floor hiss. If you don't like the stock sound signature, then you can opamp rolling, to match your listening taste
smily_headphones1.gif

TQ.

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #1,736 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've had my UM3X's for about three days and have put some significant time in them and am very pleased. While I still do miss the bass from the FX500's it is more than adequate and the trade off in the separation and just overall quality in almost every other area make up for it many times over.

I've been digging through the thread and it seems like an even divide exists between whether these IEM's should be run unamped vs. amped. I just picked up a cheap Leckerton Audio UHA-3 for use in the office and really can't tell a difference so I was a bit curious as if some more high-end amps would be worth it. I see the D10, P-51, SR-71 listed amongst others and was doing some research on these and since at work I primarily play my music from a Late 2008 Macbook Pro I was hoping to pick up an amp/DAC combo but I hear a ton of praise for the P-51 and am seriously considering picking this up and waiting to get a decent DAC to pair with my Macbook. Any suggestions?

Also I am extremely tempted to get some UM56's after all the praise they have received in this thread.

i jus got my um56. painful to wear, hope it gets better. but I am really amazed it actually improve the sound. awesome !

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #1,737 of 4,413
Painful? You might need re-fitting. Anyway try it for couple of weeks to see whether the pain is going away.

So, how the UM56s improve sound ?
smily_headphones1.gif

(I know, there will be some of us are very tempting to get the custom sleeves or the custom IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thank you.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #1,738 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the re0 have more treble and its better, light and airy and can shimmer in a way i think only dynamics can get totally right everything on the RE0 feel light where the um3 feels so heavy and has a darkness to it. the bass is deep on the RE0 but has none of the volume punch and power that it has on the um3

the RE0 is delicate and beautiful and light

the um3 feels dark and powerful

I mostly agree on this. I like RE0 too - it has several remarkable achievements, but whole picture is not good enough.

I think bass of RE0 is not that deep(and not prominent enough), Midrange is somehow recessed, and they are totally have no soundstage at all. Dynamic range of UM3X is much better. Overall I prefer UM3X by a big margin.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #1,739 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i jus got my um56. painful to wear, hope it gets better. but I am really amazed it actually improve the sound. awesome !

It's very easy to put them in backwards, so beware.

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #1,740 of 4,413
I heard the RE3 pre-production model at a local meet. Does anyone know how these two compare?

My experience with the re3 out of the hp-out of the mack book was just okay, no wow. I don't know whether it was the CD I was listening to, or the hp-out, but I it didn't make me want to go and spend even $200 (i don't know the actual price on these) on them at all. Perhaps I should've brought CDs, or mp3s, that I actually enjoy. I was underprepared for the meet, unfortunately. Anyways, I think tsarn owns the re3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back