Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #1,711 of 4,413
Anyone know a cheaper alternative that has a similar audio signature? Been away from Headfi for a while.

Thanks.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #1,712 of 4,413
Got my UM3X's in today and listened to them for a little while. The seal on these is unreal using medium Olives for me. I have had notoriously bad problems trying to get seals and I just popped these in and they get a great seal off the bat.

I was blown away by the instrument separation on these. Listening to songs with a ton of activity going on and being able to pick out specific instruments is something I haven't experienced yet in an IEM. Bass is good but not great coming from the FX500's but I knew this going in. Can't wait to put some more use on these and get them amp'd up as well.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #1,714 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found the bass to be pretty good. I think it depends on the on some songs where it seems dampened. They are cozy though and smooth.

I have listened to some songs that seem to be very bass-dominated and the UM3X is punchy whereas the FX500 really just had more impact while still keeping resolution and clarity. I am wondering whether or not the W3's would have been a better choice considering that after listening to the FX500's for about 2 months or so I find that I really do miss the bass that it brings to the table.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #1,715 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened to some songs that seem to be very bass-dominated and the UM3X is punchy whereas the FX500 really just had more impact while still keeping resolution and clarity. I am wondering whether or not the W3's would have been a better choice considering that after listening to the FX500's for about 2 months or so I find that I really do miss the bass that it brings to the table.

Listen to it constantly for a couple of weeks and you'll find that the bass has gone down, but quality is up and hits really low. Sort of like a psychological burnin.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #1,716 of 4,413
I think what I am really missing is the volume of bass you get with the FX500, it straddles the line between overpowering other areas (mids, highs) but never does. It really just is a large quantity of bass that isn't sloppy or bloated.

Listening to the UM3X's right now and I think I am starting to appreciate the punchy controlled bass that it produces. I am going to listen to these for a while before I think about auditioning another set of IEMs.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #1,717 of 4,413
Finally took the plunge and sold my W3s for the UM3X. After a couple of days of listening, I made the right decision, so thanks to Music4321 and spyro, who made a similar move. I like the more neutral sound, the separation, the mids, and even the bass (no shortage of bass for my ears, but then again, I liked the PFEs). Perhaps the biggest key for me is I modded a pair of Comply large (from a tip passed along by communic back in this thread), making them about midway between Comply standard and large, and wow, they really do work for me as well. The short Complys were okay, but this shorted large tip mod is the way to go. Just right. I might try the flanges or some yellow shure foamies I have sitting around, but for now, the trimmed Complys are great.

Oh, if I could have kept both the W3 and the UM3X, I would have. But can't really afford both. I'd proabably get some JHs or the ES3X if I was going to spend that much. But for universals, the UM3X hit the sweet spot for my taste.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,718 of 4,413
Hey tstarn06, welcome back AND congrats on your new UM3X's. Glad you're not disappointed!

Just one thing - Yes, the ES3X's are better, but the UM3X are not that far behind, believe me. And for the price of the UM3X and the resale value of them, I think it's a much better investment than any set of custom IEM's. And with the soft grey silicone tips (in my case) they easily compete in comfort with my almighty ES3X.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #1,719 of 4,413
Thanks. Have to try those tips, as I have them too from the W3. Forgot about them. And thanks, yes, these phones are excellent. Could not ask for more, and the best thing, they are great with every one of my players. The Complys are great, but they are an ongoing expense. If the soft grays work and sound just as good, even better.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #1,721 of 4,413
Hmm, I will try them too. But I have not had much success with the Kilpsch gels outside of Klipsch phones. Not sure why, but why not give it a try, right? Thanks.

Update:

Wow, thanks for that one. I had dismissed the gels because of previous experience with other phones, but these things rock with the UM3X. I liked the gray soft sleeves too, but I have mismatching ears, and the left was great, but could not get a tight seal on the right. Not so with the gels, because of their oval shape. Fit right in there. Nice. The Complys still sound nice, but the gels bring up the treble somewhat, without being harsh. Thanks again. I may try some other tip combos, or just ask for the UM56 for Xmas from my wife (she bought me the W3s, which I sold for the UM3X, after all).

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #1,722 of 4,413
Yeah, I really like the ability to just pop them in my ears with the gels.

I was using the Shure olives before, which are good too, but the Klipsch do add a touch more treble sparkle. They do something to the bass too, but hard to describe. Seems like the lowest notes come through better, and the bass gains a bit more oomph, making them more fun, but not boomy.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #1,723 of 4,413
Guess we're lucky, because not everyone can get the gels, since they don't sell them, I don't think. I've had several pair of Klipsch phones (X10s, Custom 3s and now the S4s) and traded for the sizes I need (mainly large single flange and smalls for my wife), so I have a nice collection. And Klipsch does send you extras when you buy.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #1,724 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess we're lucky, because not everyone can get the gels, since they don't sell them, I don't think. I've had several pair of Klipsch phones (X10s, Custom 3s and now the S4s) and traded for the sizes I need (mainly large single flange and smalls for my wife), so I have a nice collection. And Klipsch does send you extras when you buy.

actually im sure they now do, they announced it the other week at long last they were selling them

or should be very soon

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #1,725 of 4,413
Hi and welcome back tstarn06.

You missed the PFE's treble?
smily_headphones1.gif
I know how you felt, But don't worry it will comes latter. Have you tried the modded triple flanges? It were the best tips for my ears, until I got the custom sleeves.
smily_headphones1.gif
It really changed everything....

Any comment about the UM3Xs + AMP3 combo. How about the hiss level?

Edit:
Ok you allready answered it briefly in the AMP3 thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back