Westone ES5
Jul 30, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3,046 of 5,554

Quote:
You guys are doing a good job leaning me towards ES5s. At this point if I didn't already have travel plans paid for RMAF I'd probably order them sound un-heard.

Anaxilus I see you have RE262. I know they are in a different class, but can you give a short description of similarities and differences (especially 3D soundstage and imaging)?

Here's my review of the ES5's: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/561401/review-westone-es5

It might just be the thing to push you over.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #3,048 of 5,554
Hey Guys!

I guess I'm somewhat feeling bored with the tone that my current rig provides me.

iPod Classic -> CLAS -> Alo RX Mk2

Previously I've owned a RSA Predator and that was a lot warmer than the RX Mk2.

I plan to invest into another portable or even stationary headphone amp as I'm gonna purchase a Aude'ze LCD2 in the near future.

Any recommendations on what Portable/Stationary amp works well with the CLAS and ES5?

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #3,049 of 5,554
So what is it that you don't like about the Mk2?  You want something warmer? 

The only amps I know of that aren't too loud for me with the ES5 and CLAS (even on the lowest setting) are the Pico Slim and SR71b (which has just a little usable volume range in balanced mode).  I haven't heard the Mk2, but the SR71b projects a wide soundstage and has deep, thick bass--I'd call it a fun amp.  However, it seems only worth getting if you're willing to get a balanced cable.

The Pico Slim seems a little more neutral, with bass that is still a touch warm.  I did some comparisons between the HM801's headphone amp (Game card) and the Pico Slim, and while the HM801 had a seductive, laid-back quality, its resolution and focus were significantly hazier than the Pico.

The TTVJ Slim is somewhere in between, with a very natural tone and rich midrange, but the CLAS may be a bit too hot for it.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #3,050 of 5,554

Quote:
Hey Guys!

I guess I'm somewhat feeling bored with the tone that my current rig provides me.

iPod Classic -> CLAS -> Alo RX Mk2

Previously I've owned a RSA Predator and that was a lot warmer than the RX Mk2.

I plan to invest into another portable or even stationary headphone amp as I'm gonna purchase a Aude'ze LCD2 in the near future.

Any recommendations on what Portable/Stationary amp works well with the CLAS and ES5?

Thanks!

You want to know how to fix this? Don't listen to your rig for a week. Then listen to it, you'll grow to enjoy it again.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #3,051 of 5,554
I wasn't too much of a fan of the first Rx.  It was pretty good but a bit recessed in the mids to my ears.  I love my UHA6S atm.  If you want to play w/ opamps you can too.  I prefer the OPA209s which is what the Meier 2Stepdance uses also.  This is a very detailed, clean, transparent and neutral sound but might be more clinical than you want.  I prefer that synergy w/ my ES5s.  If you like warmth you can just roll some OPA627s in there.  I haven't tried AD8397s in the UHA6S yet but that's what they use in the Arrow and that can be a bit warmer as well.  Not sure how they'd react in the Leckerton though.  You could email Nick. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #3,052 of 5,554
Eh? I didn't understand what you were saying at all...
hahha I'm not well versed with terminology yet :p

So you prefer the Stepdance 2 over RX Mk2 for the ES5s?

The deal is that because I bought my rig in Jaben, I can trade it back in for roughly 80-90% value of a brand new one. In reality I could trade in my RX Mk2 and get a Stepdance without paying any money but I plan to get the LCD-2s and I dunno how well that would synergize with the Stepdance :/

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #3,053 of 5,554
If you are referring to me I haven't heard the Rx2, only the first Rx.  I've been waiting for a loaner Stepdance that hasn't materialized to compare but it's a no show.  I might have to seek alternative sourcing.  I'm just using the same chips atm Jan chose for his new 2Step.  If you've read impressions of the original Stepdance that's pretty much how the UHA6S sounds w/ the 209 operational amplifier chips installed.  At the time I was using the 209s and later Jan Meier revealed he was using the same chips to preserve the signature of his original Stepdance which was logical to my ears.  Until I hear them though side by side I won't know for sure and it's purely subjective.  

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #3,059 of 5,554
........really?

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #3,060 of 5,554

Quote:
Hi guys,

Any idea when ES5 will be launched? Coz if not, I will order my ES5 soon

You mean launched into space?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back