Westone ES5
Jul 29, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #3,031 of 5,554
Quote:
Looks good! But isn't that defying the purpose of being vacuum inside the saver bottle?

That's right. This is no longer serving the original purpose of the Monitor Saver. It just works really well for a different purpose which is fast access attached to my rig when walking around.

(I don't store my ES5 like this. At home, I am using the original large Westone Pelican case minus the special insert. I Just throw the ES5 in it with a desiccant pod; very easy. For proper portable/travel storage, it's the Ottercase 1000. The Pelican 1010 is also great for travel because of its padding but it's a bit large.)

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #3,035 of 5,554

Quote:
UE is in Irvine.  Pretty much less than 10 minutes away from me, but I still choose Westone :).

I'm sure that UE sounds great, but I was turn off from their customer service.

Wow.  That means we're pretty close.  Practically next door.

@cooperpwc

Hah! I see that RyJ Churchill.  Yum.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #3,038 of 5,554

Quote:
@ Anaxilus:  Short Churchill to be precise. Yep, that's my anchor cigar. Dude, we have too much in common. I may have to visit SoCal again.  :)

Anytime man.  The Scotch is on tap.  
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #3,039 of 5,554

Quote:
Anytime man.  The Scotch is on tap.  
wink.gif

Anax, how different is the W4 from the ES5 in general sound signature? Are they similar to each other in any sound spectrum? I'm just curious.. Thanks in advance.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #3,040 of 5,554

Quote:
Anax, how different is the W4 from the ES5 in general sound signature? Are they similar to each other in any sound spectrum? I'm just curious.. Thanks in advance.

Larry/HPA is the one to ask as he still has both.  He did a blurp/comparison buried in the thread somewhere.  From my 20 minute audition prior to the ES5 demo they were definitely a clear step down IMO.  The ES5 was clearer w/ better treble extension but never fatiguing, fuller, richer, more impactful bass and mids/vocals to die for.  Definitely the best bass I've heard from a single BA driver.  Haven't heard the Quads, JH16 though.  For me the imaging is much better and more coherent on the ES5.  Instruments just appear in front of me like a real 3D image.  Again, with my gears and ears. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3,041 of 5,554
Anyone know if there's a doctor in the Toronto area who has a universal of these (should a universal exist?) to try out? I've decided to go custom I'm just stuck between Westone's offerings and JH audio's :/

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #3,042 of 5,554
Geez, listening to some Chet Baker from a 24 bit Vinyl rip.  Good lord.  His trumpet is right in front of me, left of center.  You can hear everything.  Button clicks actuating the valves.  Lips shifting on the mouthpiece.  All in that vivid 3D, rich, natural and organic ES5 sound.  These are the most non BA sounding BA's I've ever heard.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #3,043 of 5,554
You guys are doing a good job leaning me towards ES5s. At this point if I didn't already have travel plans paid for RMAF I'd probably order them sound un-heard.

Anaxilus I see you have RE262. I know they are in a different class, but can you give a short description of similarities and differences (especially 3D soundstage and imaging)?

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,044 of 5,554

Quote:
Anaxilus I see you have RE262. I know they are in a different class, but can you give a short description of similarities and differences (especially 3D soundstage and imaging)?

It's been awhile since I heard the 262 actually.  My 262 has the driver swapped into an M6 housing atm.  I need to transplant into some Teknine shells.  All I can say is the 262 is a more laid back and delicate signature.  The ES5 is a more emotive, viceral type of experience.  It has that sort of rich coloration that makes you feel like you are listening to a live performance whether Pop, Rock or Jazz doesn't matter.  For me it's not like listening to a recording but more like having an experience.  For me the RE262 was leaner than both the ES5 and UERM.  Keep in mind I had different sources and amps at the time I had the 262 so apply some grain of salt here.    

For me the SS is just right, not too unnaturally wide and not too intimate.  Nicely balanced w/ everything in the right place and easy to locate.  Nothing on top, underneath or behind me.  The UERM has more air and spatial cues but is thinner overall.  It's all about the recording w/ those.  I prefer a bit more weight and heft.  When I talk about 'Imaging' I don't just mean the precision placement of instruments wrt SS.  I also mean how those instruments are rendered.  Often times you hear a recorded instrument and say, 'Yup, that sounds like a Trumpet, cool.'  When I listen to the ES5 and hear a Trumpet it's more like, 'Holy crap, that IS A TRUMPET!'  

As for the 262 SS and Imaging I can't really comment too much w/o a proper set to AB in comparison.  >.<  Hopefully someone else has them here.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #3,045 of 5,554
Thanks for your comments. Not a big deal since I'll hear all of these options before I choose anyways, was just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back