Westone ES5
Jul 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #3,001 of 5,554
I also got the S2 but prefer the sound of iPhone 4, so sadly, I am carrying two phones, plus the Blackberry Torch these days, with the iPhone 4 serving as an ipod...  I have been using Power Amp and Player Pro on the S2, is the concert hall setting from the stock player?

Quote:
Hey guys!

I recently got a new phone. 
The Samsung Galaxy S2 and within the music player there I found a interesting EQ or Sound Enhancement / Modification setting. Concert hall setting is pretty interesting. It kinda actually artificially creates the sound stage of a concert hall. Through the ES5s its a pretty interesting sound combination. Not that I like it... But I would recommend you guys to check it out!

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #3,002 of 5,554

Quote:

What signature are you looking for in a custom btw?

I like a big full sound with some weight behind it where it is approaching a headphone-like sound.  If it sounds like an IEM (ER4), it won't satisfy me. 
Midrange very neutral or slightly recessed.
Treble must be great but not overly revealing, clear and crisp but not cold or siblant.  (W3, TF10 very enjoyable to me but NOT ER4). 
Prefer a "quick" sound but with natural decay and texture.
I like a large soundstage...a little bit of distance between you and the music with space around the instruments.

JH16 was great for me but I had an imbalance issue that me nor JH could seem to fix.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,003 of 5,554

Quote:
I like a big full sound with some weight behind it where it is approaching a headphone-like sound.

Sounds like you came to the right place.  The ES5 is definitely the closest to that full dynamic driver/ headphone sound I've heard in a set of BAs.  I think your only other option would be MG6Pros or something more niche from AJs thread.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #3,004 of 5,554
Is this a common problem? I've just got my custom ES5.

I think that the "stem" of the IEM is too long for me, I can't push the iem deep enough, because the stem is too long. By stem, I'm referring to the transparent part, that have a rubberize feeling to it.

When I push the IEM deepest into the my ear, there is still alot of excess plastic floating out of my ear.

I assume it should be something like : http://media.photobucket.com/image/jh%2016%20pro/Maodi_Kitchenaid/Fit-3.jpg

Any ideas ? Is this the re-fit that everyone is talking about?

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3,005 of 5,554
Yea, that is not right.  You sound correct and probably need a re-fit.  The housing part of the IEM should fit flush up against your entire ear cavity with no excess space.  That's the whole point of a custom fit.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #3,006 of 5,554
Have you done a course of Oto-Ease yet?

Yes, I have used the Oto-Ease many times now, and that temporarily fixes the pressure issue, but the main sound issue is still there.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #3,008 of 5,554

Quote:
Is this a common problem? I've just got my custom ES5.

You have a pic?  That would be unusual to make customs longer than your impression.  Very odd.  You sure you have them in all the way?  Sounds like you haven't rotated the earpiece all the way into locking position that's why it sticks out.  Try oto-ease to get it to slip in.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #3,010 of 5,554

Quote:
Gotcha. Diver here too. :)

(I was focused on EQ because they are harping on about it in the iPhone 4 thread.)

Wait.  So we drink Scotch, smoke Habanos, listen to ES5s and dive?  Who else??  We should have an ES5, smoke, drink and dive meet.  Perhaps not in that order, lol.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #3,012 of 5,554
Jul 28, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #3,013 of 5,554

Quote:
A meet sounds great. I'm still trying to figure out how to dive and smoke Habanos at the same time.  :)

Easy.  Chemical Rebreather + Bell Helmet + knife + Duct tape.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3,015 of 5,554

Users who are viewing this thread

Back