Westone ES5
Jul 26, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #2,986 of 5,554
I didn't tell them to do anything different, I just got a new set of impressions and the second set was made by another technician, or atleast with greater care (my first set looked shoddy like yours). It feels like this new set is allowed to breathe and thus feels less restrained. The air pressure was higher on the first set, and there was no room to wiggle or adjust them.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #2,987 of 5,554
The air pressure is pretty high in mine right now too and there is little to no wiggle room. Should I consider having them made smaller?

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,988 of 5,554

Quote:
The air pressure is pretty high in mine right now too and there is little to no wiggle room. Should I consider having them made smaller?

Have you tried to equalize the pressure by cracking the seal a bit and re-seating them right away?

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,990 of 5,554

Quote:
Have you tried to equalize the pressure by cracking the seal a bit and re-seating them right away?

Yes, I do that often. Does everyone else have to do this?

I know everyone says the tighter the fit the better, but is there a limit? I care more about the sound ><

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #2,992 of 5,554

I do that with both my UE18 Pro and ES5.

Quote:
Yes, I do that often. Does everyone else have to do this?

I know everyone says the tighter the fit the better, but is there a limit? I care more about the sound ><

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #2,993 of 5,554

Quote:

The W4 is 118 dB SPL and the ES5 120 dB SPL.

That's odd?  I mentioned that I found W4 to be one of the most inefficient IEM's I have heard.  I routinely had Ipod volume at 85-90% and sometimes 100% with on certain older files.  Yet W3 sensitivity is 107dB and goes MUCH louder.  How can this be?

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,994 of 5,554

Quote:
That's odd?  I mentioned that I found W4 to be one of the most inefficient IEM's I have heard.  I routinely had Ipod volume at 85-90% and sometimes 100% with on certain older files.  Yet W3 sensitivity is 107dB and goes MUCH louder.  How can this be?

I know people like to hope they can look at sensitivity and impedance specs and know what to expect when driving phones but I've found this simply isn't always the case.  Simple common sense answer to your question is you have an extra driver.  >.<  More appropriate answer is the W4 likely has a more interesting impedance curve than the W3 perhaps.  

This is why I judge by ears and not by published specs.  It's not that numbers lie but they can be deceitful.  
wink.gif

I also equalize (air pressure) all my IEMs, universals too.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #2,996 of 5,554

Quote:
Interesting. I don't touch EQ. The sound signature defines the headphone. If it is deficient (not just different), I am listening to the wrong phones. I have no desire to EQ the ES5.

Hahah!  Woops.  I meant equalize air pressure.  Sorry I'm a SCUBA dood.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #2,997 of 5,554

Quote:

I know people like to hope they can look at sensitivity and impedance specs and know what to expect when driving phones but I've found this simply isn't always the case.  Simple common sense answer to your question is you have an extra driver.  >.<  More appropriate answer is the W4 likely has a more interesting impedance curve than the W3 perhaps.  

This is why I judge by ears and not by published specs.  It's not that numbers lie but they can be deceitful.  
wink.gif

I also equalize (air pressure) all my IEMs, universals too.

My inquiry was about whether to pursue ES5 further knowing I am an "unamped" listener.  If it only goes as loud as W4 this would be unacceptable and a deal breaker for me making the decison to look elsewhere an easy one.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #2,998 of 5,554

Quote:

Yeah I dunno.  My session w/ the W4 was relatively brief.  Shoot Larry a PM since he has both.  Let me try my ES5 from the Clip+.  I rarely use that thing.

What signature are you looking for in a custom btw?

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #2,999 of 5,554
The ES5 is plenty loud at around 75% on the Clip+.  Sounds like about 80dB plus or minus, purely speculative as I don't have an inline SPL meter.  

Edit - Thanks a lot Spyro.  I just went from my Clip+ and swapped to my PC > UHA6S and now I can't stop listening.  I'll be stuck here for the next few hours now.  Thanks, thanks a lot.  I had plans.....>.<

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #3,000 of 5,554
Hey guys!

I recently got a new phone. 
The Samsung Galaxy S2 and within the music player there I found a interesting EQ or Sound Enhancement / Modification setting. Concert hall setting is pretty interesting. It kinda actually artificially creates the sound stage of a concert hall. Through the ES5s its a pretty interesting sound combination. Not that I like it... But I would recommend you guys to check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back