Westone ES5
Oct 24, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #331 of 5,554

Quote:
Thinking Group has an office in OG Building at Rochor. I liaised with the lady there, Janice. She's a nice lady who'll get the job done with minimum fuss.
Thinking Group Singapore is quoting USD 1,097 including shipping.
Forget about Jaben and Stereo. Thinking Group is the ONLY authorised dealer for Westone in Singapore.

that's quite a good deal for singaporeans. I should have waited.

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #332 of 5,554
It would be a great news if amps show no difference of the SQ of a system but it's contracting to my own experience.  Also from my experience, cables do make differences.  

Quote:

I ran into an engineer like that once at JL Audio.  Scary.  Even said JL did a DBT between their amps and their competitors and the result showed no discernable or audible differences.  Take claimed DBTs for what they're worth.  Especially in context of personal experience as long as you aren't self delusional and unaware of your limitations.  So when I hear such and such did a DBT, I 
rolleyes.gif
.  If you don't think Amps sound different I'm not going to bother bringing up cables or burn-in.  Ever wonder why things like Psychoacoustics, Auto-suggestion and other 'explanations' don't apply to those that don't hear a difference in anything?  Sorry for the OT.  But yeah man, scary stuff.  

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #333 of 5,554

Quote:

that's quite a good deal for singaporeans. I should have waited.

Same here .... there's this place, "SKM" who claims they're Westone "distributors" and supply to Stereo, but don't do customs .. any idea what's the deal with them?

Anyway, my ES5s will be here soon .. crossing my fingers for no re-fits .... 

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #336 of 5,554

Quote:

I ran into an engineer like that once at JL Audio.  Scary.  Even said JL did a DBT between their amps and their competitors and the result showed no discernable or audible differences.  Take claimed DBTs for what they're worth.  Especially in context of personal experience as long as you aren't self delusional and unaware of your limitations.  So when I hear such and such did a DBT, I 
rolleyes.gif
.  If you don't think Amps sound different I'm not going to bother bringing up cables or burn-in.  Ever wonder why things like Psychoacoustics, Auto-suggestion and other 'explanations' don't apply to those that don't hear a difference in anything?  Sorry for the OT.  But yeah man, scary stuff.  

Yeah, I bet when recording studios have a connection problem in one of their patch bays and have to switch to a different cable they end up recalibrating the entire room because the difference is so great.
rolleyes.gif
  You should also ask companies like PARC, Audyssey, JBL Synthesis & Trinnov (companies who make high end room correction equipment) how much of an impact cables make.  Finally, why would a company who makes very expensive, high-end headphones and not spend an extra $50 (cost to them) to make them sound significantly better with different cables?  Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #337 of 5,554

Quote:
Same here .... there's this place, "SKM" who claims they're Westone "distributors" and supply to Stereo, but don't do customs .. any idea what's the deal with them?

Anyway, my ES5s will be here soon .. crossing my fingers for no re-fits .... 

SKM? I think they r bogus. Thinking Group is the ONLY authorised distributor within Asia Pacific. This is clearly supported by Westone's homepage. Anyway I think Stereo and Jaben both used to go tru Thinking Group for ES3X as well. Hence the high price quoted by them.

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #339 of 5,554
Almost every single cable skeptic that I've encountered is simply ignorant and is unexposed to quality equipment.

Anyone who has tried different speaker cables on GOOD speakers (not stuff you find at Best Buy) will tell you that the tonal characteristics of one cable design/material to another is significant and immediately noticeable.

Try a Nordost flat cable, one of the upper-end models. Now put in a mid-range Cardas cable. The Cardas clearly produced significantly warmer sound. End of debate. Anyone with ears can pass this simple blind test.

Let's steer this ship back on topic.

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #340 of 5,554

Quote:
Yeah, I bet when recording studios have a connection problem in one of their patch bays and have to switch to a different cable they end up recalibrating the entire room because the difference is so great.
rolleyes.gif
  You should also ask companies like PARC, Audyssey, JBL Synthesis & Trinnov (companies who make high end room correction equipment) how much of an impact cables make.  Finally, why would a company who makes very expensive, high-end headphones and not spend an extra $50 (cost to them) to make them sound significantly better with different cables?  Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Maybe they like theirs. Cables definitiely sound different given the weakest link isn't elsewhere. What's better is a different matter. I hate the way many companies seemingly change the laws of physics to promote their cables but I don't let it get in the way of what I hear, which is that they all sound different to varying degrees and price is not a good indicator of quality. That said, some of my favs are costly but some I dislike are also. The twag cable is silver tinned copper and that's something I've never cared for so to each his own. It may have brightened up the mids of a TF10 but that doesn't mean it will be better for this and last I checked in manufacturing, $50 their cost doesn't and shouldn't translate to $50 retail.

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #341 of 5,554
There are seperate threads for cable discussions, please take this into PMs or a seperate thread. Try to stay on topic...

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #343 of 5,554

Quote:

Maybe they like theirs. Cables definitiely sound different given the weakest link isn't elsewhere. What's better is a different matter. I hate the way many companies seemingly change the laws of physics to promote their cables but I don't let it get in the way of what I hear, which is that they all sound different to varying degrees and price is not a good indicator of quality. That said, some of my favs are costly but some I dislike are also. The twag cable is silver tinned copper and that's something I've never cared for so to each his own. It may have brightened up the mids of a TF10 but that doesn't mean it will be better for this and last I checked in manufacturing, $50 their cost doesn't and shouldn't translate to $50 retail.

not stray off topic further, but i dont want anyone in this thread to get the wrong impressions, TWag cable is not silver tinned copper, TWag cable is pure stranded silver

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #344 of 5,554

Quote:
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I was talking about amps in your citation, not cables.  Thanks for proving my point.  Perhaps you need a refill. 
blink.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #345 of 5,554
No idea about SKM, and yea I also think that both Jaben and Stereo places orders with Thinking Group but price wise its Jaben at the significantly higher mark ups that boasts of their 'premium' after sales service which IMO is none-existent. Unless they count impressions being done at their shop.

Glad that the proper way of ordering customs from Westone in Singapore is revealed, therefore bypassing 3rd parties
Quote:
SKM? I think they r bogus. Thinking Group is the ONLY authorised distributor within Asia Pacific. This is clearly supported by Westone's homepage. Anyway I think Stereo and Jaben both used to go tru Thinking Group for ES3X as well. Hence the high price quoted by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back