Westone ES5
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #226 of 5,554

Quote:
Woo Hoo!!  He posted that right before I was going to, and I'm glad that helps.  The ES5 are truly my "desert island" IEM, the one I could not be without.

Larry, have you done your formal review of these yet? how do they compare in terms of comfort to your UEs and JHAs?  before you get cast off to a desert island with these, i think you need to compare them to the ear sonics em3 pros & jh3as!    
smile.gif
etysmile.gif
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #228 of 5,554
For those thinking the Westone ES5's may be bass shy. To me, the ES5's bass has a chameleon effect to it. It seems to have the right amount of bass for everything I throw at it.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #230 of 5,554

Quote:
For those thinking the Westone ES5's may be bass shy. To me, the ES5's bass has a chameleon effect to it. It seems to have the right amount of bass for everything I throw at it.

Thanks for addressing that.

Two questions:
1) Will you do a comparison with your jh monitors?

2) Why'd you change your name from Sonic748i or whatever it was?

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #232 of 5,554
I am having an interesting test of ES5 isolation. The maid is vacuuming right by my head as I listen to the Yanks and Twins stream over my iPhone. It's a mild whine in the distance, not interfering in the game at all. I pulled out one earpiece and it is deafening. That's pretty good.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #235 of 5,554
Well I'll be darned but I do believe that you are right. On close inspection of mine also, that is indeed a quad of speakers with separate exit tubes for each of the dual tweeters and mids. The woofer is a massive single unit.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #236 of 5,554
Is that common to have a woofer that big in these customs?  I've never seen one that big before, rather impressive for a BA.

ph34r.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #237 of 5,554

Quote:
@HPA

Between the JH13/16 and the ES5.  Did you find one to be more energetic or laid back versus the other?  With respect to attack and aggression.

My JH13Pro are more laid back and mellow, and sometimes a little recessed in the mids with some amps (Pico Slim), and the ES5 are a little more energetic and aggressive but not in a bad way, and never recessed or too forward.  In that light the ES5 seem more alive with live music and performances, but the JH13Pro are more forgiving of a bad studio recording.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #238 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks for addressing that.

Two questions:
1) Will you do a comparison with your jh monitors?

2) Why'd you change your name from Sonic748i or whatever it was?

Ditto. This is precisely what I would like to find out as well.
I am currently torn between ES5 and the JH13, both claiming they have the most neutral reproduction 

Quote:
Kunlun, check your PM.

[size=medium]
Thanks!

[/size]

Hi iRadiO,
first of all, congrads for getting your ES5!
I share the same set of queries with Kunlun above, please would you it be possible if you can PM me too if it doesn't cause you too much trouble

Cheers mate 
regular_smile .gif
 <~ I have really nice smile 

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #239 of 5,554

Quote:
Is that common to have a woofer that big in these customs?  I've never seen one that big before, rather impressive for a BA.

ph34r.gif

Yea, looking at that subwoofer makes me think it can really make your eyeballs rattle with bass. LOL. But, Westone took the accurate bass route.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #240 of 5,554

Quote:

Larry, have you done your formal review of these yet? how do they compare in terms of comfort to your UEs and JHAs?  before you get cast off to a desert island with these, i think you need to compare them to the ear sonics em3 pros & jh3as!    
smile.gif
etysmile.gif
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

I've said in another thread that the Westone with heat sensitive tips are the most comfortable custom IEM I've tried, especially for longer listening sessions.  For 2-3 hours the advantage isn't as great vs full acrylic customs, but it's still there to some degree.  I've worn the Westone for over 8 hours (not just from sleeping in them) and had no problems.  But with my JH13Pro or UE11Pro I start getting an urge to "empty" my ears after a few hours, kinda like my restless less syndrome - not painful but distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back