Westone ES5
Dec 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #5,506 of 5,554
  Got another reply back from Westone:

"Thank you for your email. The upgrade option is priced at $249.99. This will include the cable,socket,faceplate, and labor cost. The drivers are the same configuration and sound signature the same. We do not need new impressions for this upgrade. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day."

means I send my ES5 back and I can choose wood faceplate and a new color for both sides after paying $250?
Those new faceplates sounds tempting for me and I wanna choose another color since pinor noir doesnt sound like the color that I expected. 
mad.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #5,507 of 5,554
It might be time to start a new thread for the ES50. We'll see just what sounds different as reviews come in.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695181/westone-es50-new-flagship-custom-iem-from-westone
Here we go. I added a link to their press release and some pictures.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #5,508 of 5,554
Got the ES5 back yesterday. It is a better fit, I can feel the difference. Still not perfect on the left ear (I can hear pops 3 out of 5 times when I open my mouth wide or move my jaw left to right). Doesn't affect the sound or completely break. Just for a second while it readjusts I guess. I don't feel like setting up more appointments for fixing it (if it's a problem at all), but we'll see as the weekend continues.

The only thing that is distracting me now ... anybody else notice that the cable is microphonic? I can hear a click when I move my head around at low volumes and quiet passages. I did some light tapping on the cable and it's definitely from the cable. On both sides of the cable. Shaking it (not pulling it, just shaking it) produces annoying clipping sounds. If I hold the hard plastic part of the cable (not the connector, but the part you bend around your ears) where the braided cable meets the plastic, and shake, I don't hear the clicking. It must be something about where they meet, the cable hitting the plastic when I turn or something...

Never noticed it on the W4R.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5,509 of 5,554
still haven't gotten mine as variphone didn't receive the artwork prints in Belgium before they were on holidays...will have them in January :frowning2:

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #5,510 of 5,554
  still haven't gotten mine as variphone didn't receive the artwork prints in Belgium before they were on holidays...will have them in January :frowning2:

bummer! The traditional wait time is hard to bear, can't imagine the extended wait time outside of the US. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #5,511 of 5,554
After more listening I was still left frustrated by the fit. The "center" of the sound was at 1:00, and after adjusting several times over I would get the seal just right and the full sound would be there and at 12:00. And that was beautiful...for the minute it lasted before breaking. So, I had to take 'em back again...unfortunately...when called, Westone said they buffed part of it down instead of remolding. We didn't specify a remold last time, but this time the audiologist asked them to use the ear mold we sent last time.

Hoping it comes out right this time!

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,512 of 5,554
Dude that sucks.... Ive been using my ES5 in Japan (on Vacation) and still love these things to death. Have probably put about 250-300 hours on them already. Got to listen to jh13, 2+1, v6 ears, se846, ie800, and es5 are still my favorite headphone hands down. Also got a ZX1 and t made these things have an even bigger sound stage and is slightly bright as a source so pairs very nicely. p(^_^)q

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5,513 of 5,554
prolly going to sell my ie800 if I like my westones better...hopefully I'll have them by the end of next week with a good seal....

edit: iems are done and should have them by the end of the week depending on if I have time to visit the store or not :<

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #5,514 of 5,554
Got my ES5 back already. Seems like the turnaround got quicker each time it was sent back, haha. 3 weeks initially... then about 2 weeks... now it seems like it was only a week and a half ago that these were sent back.

Remold is a little sloppier than the first time (artwork is shaky in places and the clear mold is scratchy looking in a certain light), but I'm not gonna complain because I think these are finally the perfect fit! Maybe I shouldn't jinx myself though!...It's only been an hour or so but so far everything feels and sounds just right. And now I agree, the bass feels more significant from when I first got these and thought it was on the light side. Maybe I got used to it over the previous hours with it. Maybe it was the fit.

edit: They also shipped 'em back in an orange monitor vault. Fun extra to go with the original case and accessories.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #5,515 of 5,554
Got my ES5 back already. Seems like the turnaround got quicker each time it was sent back, haha. 3 weeks initially... then about 2 weeks... now it seems like it was only a week and a half ago that these were sent back.

Remold is a little sloppier than the first time (artwork is shaky in places and the clear mold is scratchy looking in a certain light), but I'm not gonna complain because I think these are finally the perfect fit! Maybe I shouldn't jinx myself though!...It's only been an hour or so but so far everything feels and sounds just right. And now I agree, the bass feels more significant from when I first got these and thought it was on the light side. Maybe I got used to it over the previous hours with it. Maybe it was the fit.

edit: They also shipped 'em back in an orange monitor vault. Fun extra to go with the original case and accessories.
I also got orange case when I git my refit back - I always use it. My setup looks like this:

Orange case, ES5, cleaning cloth, anti moisture packets.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #5,516 of 5,554
I also got orange case when I git my refit back - I always use it. My setup looks like this:

Orange case, ES5, cleaning cloth, anti moisture packets.

Yep, that's the one. I've got the monitor saver and original case w/ desiccant pods, but I'll save the little orange vault for short travel.

Never thought to use those bead packs.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5,517 of 5,554
Yep, that's the one. I've got the monitor saver and original case w/ desiccant pods, but I'll save the little orange vault for short travel.

Never thought to use those bead packs.
This case fits in my pocket, the other one doesn't lol. Ive been in Japan over 3 weeks with only this case.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5,518 of 5,554

Here they are ^_^. Had to get used to fit them in my ear, but once you know how to insert them, their fit is great.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #5,520 of 5,554
after I am done working and can actually focus on the sound, I'll try to. Although my English isn't that good when it comes to technical stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back